tesco-alleged shoplifting..?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5126 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hiya all. i need some feedback, please. i carried a pack of kitchen towel out of the store while i was checking my dogs were ok outside-tied up to a post-and the security guard took me to the office and wrote down my name and address, saying he had to do this as i was on camera taking an unpaid item passed the door. now, this was a stupid thing to do, i admit, but i told him to check the cameras for the past 30-40 mins, and he'd see me leaving to check the mutts, then returning, at least 4 times. (i have a prob with travelling, and my dogs come with me everywhere-they are part of my coping mechanism). no police were called, i was allowed to go pay for the damn kitchen towels, then left. will i be getting a letter from the dreaded rlp folks, can anyone tell me..? many thanks in advance-this is quite a worry.

will i be getting a letter from the dreaded rlp folks

Probably. If you do, then you can ask them what it's for and if they mention shoplifting, then ask them for a copy of the court judgement.

As you aren't, and never intended to to be, it would be defamation - a false accusation of an offense or a malicious misrepresentation of someone's words or actions.

Then you kick up all kinds of fuss and make them grovel.

Even if someone does take something without paying, they can't be labeled until the courts have found them guilty.

Why is it necessary to make them grovel.

What happened to proportionality.

If the store made a simple mistake, why not suggest, or accept, a simple apology.

After all retail theft costs Tesco's millions of pounds a year. Just because they are huge doen't make it right to steal from them. I know this was not the case here but the OP could have left the goods near the door to go check the dogs. The store was not to know this as the OP wandered out without paying for the goods.

Conniff, if you make a mistake, as we all do, and just say sorry, do you expect the other party to make you grovel for it.

Hammy :)

46 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

HMCTS Approved Technical Expert and Independent Motor Trade Consultant

Why is it necessary to make them grovel.

What happened to proportionality.

If the store made a simple mistake, why not suggest, or accept, a simple apology.

After all retail theft costs Tesco's millions of pounds a year. Just because they are huge doen't make it right to steal from them. I know this was not the case here but the OP could have left the goods near the door to go check the dogs. The store was not to know this as the OP wandered out without paying for the goods.

Conniff, if you make a mistake, as we all do, and just say sorry, do you expect the other party to make you grovel for it.

Conniff didn't say make Tesco grovel, Tesco have done no wrong.

However if the RLP defame then they should be made to crawl across broken glass on their hands and knees. They set themselves up as Judge and Jury simply as a revenue raising exercise and thus deserve no sympathy when they screw up. Seeing as most of their screw ups are deliberate t intimidate or embaress folk into paying.

I think you should be looking at 'proportionality' the other way around by having a read of a few more threads.

They have demanded money from obviously innocent people, unlawfully holding people in an office for hours on occassions and bringing them to tears.

They have dropped cases they could not pursue without the slightest hint of an apology even when it has been shown that there was no crime committed. If these were clear cases of theft then why haven't they pressed for a court appearance.

The whole setup smacks of someone thinking up a way to make money as they will not say how they come to the amounts they demand which makes it just an arbitrary amount.

Some of the unjustified and very heavy handed methods described in these threads should not be ignored.

There is not one thread on here where anyone has been apologised to.

Conniff didn't say make Tesco grovel, Tesco have done no wrong.

However if the RLP defame then they should be made to crawl across broken glass on their hands and knees. They set themselves up as Judge and Jury simply as a revenue raising exercise and thus deserve no sympathy when they screw up. Seeing as most of their screw ups are deliberate t intimidate or embaress folk into paying.

At least someone has read it the way it is. This whole section is about RLP so that should be assumed unless said otherwise

You cannot assume that others will make the same asumptions.

What I read, at it's lowest level, was someone walking out, once, maybe seveal times, from Tesco's with items they have not yet paid for.

There are lots of low life crims that think, because Tesco's is a huge, and mostly hated on CAG, corporation that makes boat loads of money and is, largely, very succesfull, that it's OK to pilfer a few everyday items and Tesco's won't miss a few tins of beans and some razor blades.

Mrs Hamster works at Tesco's and these **** are nicking her pay rise.

Whether it is Tesco's or the Retail Loss Prevention Program, those who steal get zero sympathy. Additionally, a common way for these crims to attract more synpathy is to burst into tears when caught breaking the law, 'Crocodile Tears'.

And don't even get me started on the abuse that some customers give the staff.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/high-street-stores/253165-tescos-appalling-customer-service.html

She never came back with a response or apology did she!!!

Edited by Hammy1962

I fully agree that it always hurts some one. I don't see the relevence of the link you gave though

despite my apologising

Service, civility, respect and politeness seems to be totally lacking in todays society.

Anyway, that enough of changing the thread subject, sorry Chrissy.

Hammy, I for one am not a Tesco hater, in fact it is the supermarket of choice for me (2 x24 hr ones within 3 min drive of house and 1 x asda). However this does not blind me to the disregards Tesco display to the law and morality with regards their parking enforcement and RLP.

Tesco are directly responsible for these abuses taking place on their premises, yet show no loyalty back to their customers by riding themselves of these dual menaces and threats to the everyday shopper.

I do not condone shoplifting in any way or form, however when it arises I believe it should be dealt with by the courts and police, not by a profit making organisation which intimidates and threatens. If I see this happening to any individual, regardless of what they have done, then I will not hesitate to step in and defend their rights.

So whilst Tesco might not be directly at fault in a lot of these cases, they do shoulder some blame as they are complient.

In addition, if someone is desperate enough to be shoplifting, how do you think they will fund the hundred odd quid fine that RLP will levy? Catch one person in the act and they have a good chance of "repeat business"

I fully agree that it always hurts some one. I don't see the relevence of the link you gave though .

Sorry, I assumed you would..........................

OK, it's not fair to hijack this thread to argue about the rights and wrong's of stealing from a shop, however, I don't believe most shop thieves are 'desperate' they are low life **** who steal from shops.

It is different for those that truly do need help, and they have my sympathy, but most are just thieves.

Over and out.

..i seemed to have started quite a debate.. thank you so much for the advice, everyone. i do not intend to part with any money to these rlp folks, they sound like bully boys to me. i had no intention whatsoever of stealing anything, i ultimately paid for the item, (yes, hammy, of course i should have left the item inside while i checked my dogs, but none of us are perfect), so i intend to hold my head high and refuse to pay. thank heavens for people like conniff and kwaks, who have given me the confidence to stand upto said bullyboys. bless yer both x

Sorry, I assumed you would..........................

You really aren't making any sense here, the smartass line above is not as clever as you think.

You posted a link - Tescos Appalling Customer Service - and then said

She never came back with a response or apology did she!!!

Yet the posting clearly says

Tesco totally overreacted in this situation, despite my apologising to the person concerned

So I really don't understand where you are going. :confused:

You will be very pleased to know I have given up.

:)

Edited by Hammy1962

Some-one has to stand up for capitalism and today it was me. Clearly my defence of Tesco's has been a complete waste of time.

No it wasn't a waste of time, I'm of no different mind than you over shoplifting. There is no difference in the little old lady owned corner newspaper shop and a massive supermarket. There is no such thing as 'they can afford it' or 'they won't miss just one', someone has to pay for loss by theft and at the end of the day, that someone is always the customer.

If I didn't word my post correctly, (the written word never says what the spoken word means), and you were mislead, then I apoplogise.

Edited by Conniff

Maybe if the store detectives concentrated on their own products would be a start.

I have on two occassions gone and bought something from the argos nearby, gone into tesco to do the shop and then get a taxi home.

Each occassion the product I bought was sealed in over large size bag with folded edges and cellotaped shut, courtesy of argos as said going into tesco next.

Paying for my purchases at the till on each occassion was asked did I want to pay for that, and I politely said no, first occasson they repeated it again and I pointed out again no it was from argos and in sealed bag and in any case tesco did not sell the product.

Was stopped at exit made to uncellotape bag prove prodcut and then allowed to leave.

Second occassion huge box with hallogen oven sealed withing two bags, but clearly stating argos. Was asked do I want to pay for it, said no thanks already paid for, stopped at door and had to point out tesco again didnt sell product or I would have bought it from them instead.

yes they are right to be careful, but for goodness sake in sealed bags with receipt taped to side and in bottom of trolley as entered.

No tesco I dont want to pay again, stock the product instead then you get my money.

Rant over xxxxx

I actually like tesco but their guards a few times I have noticed snooping round the isles when looking at the smalls and such if you know what I mean and just reminded me of a stalker.:D

I just waved the nickers at him last time, they were gigantic ones;) 22-24, not flattering. He went away, luckily hadnt been to argos as sure he would have wanted to rifle through them:D