Enhanced CRB Checks & Spent Convictions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've recently applied to two voluntary positions that both mean working with children (age 10+)

I've just received a CRB back from the first position and that has made me realise just how mis-spent my youth actually was. :-(

Now, I need to complete a second CRB for the other position, but after seeing the first, I'm wondering whether or not to continue.

You see, in my youth (a long time ago), I ended up in the wrong crowd and got into a lot of trouble. Theft/shoplifting and minor fraud & deception. 20+ offences. :sad:

Now, all of these offences are spent. The offences all occurred over 20 years ago, and there has been nothing since. However, the CRB form 'looks' bad with the long list of offences. (it shocked me, and I did them. I guess it shows how much people forget if they don't want to remember).

The question now is, will this list actually affect how the CRB is viewed now?

As I said, the first CRB has just come back to me. So I guess I now have to wait for the organisation to accept/fail it?

In 'normal' circumstances, would offences of this nature, and of this age, still be held against the person volunteering?

The first position I applied for was as a rugby referee (not a paid position). This is the one I've had the CRB back for.

The second one, ironically, is a volunteer position at my local rugby club as Child Protection Officer!

Does anyone have any experience of this and what my chances might be? I guess ultimately it is down to the employers themselves to decide, but is there a kind of benchmark on what would fail a CRB check and what isn't as bad as it looks?

Hi, and welcome to the CAG...

Theoritically, employers should not infer from spent convictions and should be fair and reasonable when assessing your potential to fulfil the role(s) you are applying for.

The recorded convictions occured in a distant past (youth)... and nothing has been recorded since. None of the conviction are related to offences against vulnerables...

Now, as you rightly stated, the outcome of your applications is down to the prospective employer...

Be open about it all when they invite you in...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

type in crb in our blue bar search

some interesting reading there.

it is only a 'document' it cannot be used to refuse you a job esp in your situation

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Given the offences were when you were younger an employer should look at these in context. The only offence which would prevent you working with children is sexual abuse because employers would not be allowed to employ you. I know of many cases whereby someone has violent offences against a child..........but the child was 17 and they were 18....context you see.

I'd still go for the job if I were you, and best of luck.

Its not just sexual abuse against children - rather crimes against anyone who would be deemed vulnerable, whether children, those with learning disabilities etc.

I've been responsible for developing a safeguarding policy for an educational charity - if someone was applying for a volunteer driving position but had driving crimes then those would be relevant. If however they were something else and were a considerable time ago I'd look on the application more favourably.

I think its a case of looking at what's on there, what you're applying for and if the former may (however long ago) impact on the latter.

That said - I'd like to wish you well, you've obviously turned your life round

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I've been offered a job working as a debt manager in a company.

6 years ago I had a conviction for theft but it's spent now.

On the application form it asks only for unspent convictions and to declare it for a directors or accountants job so I did not have to declare it.

I got the job, nothing about the CRB has been called up.

As it's working with some vulnerable people they are taking an enhanced CRB.

Obviously this will show up on my record as spent, should it affect me continuing working as I start in 3 weeks?

Thanks.

Nick.

Hi All,

I've been offered a job working as a debt manager in a company.

6 years ago I had a conviction for theft but it's spent now.

On the application form it asks only for unspent convictions and to declare it for a directors or accountants job so I did not have to declare it.

I got the job, nothing about the CRB has been called up.

As it's working with some vulnerable people they are taking an enhanced CRB.

Obviously this will show up on my record as spent, should it affect me continuing working as I start in 3 weeks?

Thanks.

Nick.

start your own thread

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...

A CRB check looks for convictions for criminal offences to determine if you are right for a role.

I work on a volentary basis for a call center dealing with vulnerable adults, children, friends and family of said.

I underwent an Enhanced CRB.

An enhanced CRB shows any allegation made against you even if you are released without charge and is required if your job may include working with the vulnerable.

This is because the Soham Murderer Ian Huntley had been investigated, charged and had raised concerns but never convicted of any crime.

What an Enhanced CRB is looking for and will show:

Aggressive, Threatening and/or Abusive behavior. Any report to the police is recorded and will show up; a conviction is not required.

Allegations and/or Investigations of and/or for sexual misconduct toward any person irrelevent of severity of offence alledged. Any allegation will show even if the police did not take it seriously, a note will probably be included to explain special circumstances eg. false/malicious allegations especially when an allegation is made against a person who is providing care for a person who is ill and regulary making such allegations. "An investigation MUST be carried out"; with such a case there must be 3 persons present or evidence standard CCTV or it will be the end of your carrer!

Persistant criminal or antisocial behavior as a measure of character.

I'm sure you get the drift. CRB checks are there to protect those who can't protect themselves!

Everything will show up on your enhanced CRB check from caution to nfa to time in jail as rehabilitaion of offenders act doesnt apply to this type of application and at times yes ORI can go out from a police force even for things that you werent charged for or any action taken upon if the police deem it relevant to the job then they will disclose on it