NHS Bursary Overpayment

shooterj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help..

In September 2009 I informed my university that my mother was having an operation on her back and that I needed to take some time from the course to help care for her. This was agreed with the University, and I was granted authorised leave and advised that I should just contact the University when I wanted to return. After my mother needed an extra operation in October, I rang University at the end of December stating that I would like to return to the course. Student records couldn't find me in their system, and I recieved a letter saying that I had been withdrawn from the course for non-attendance in September, on the first day that I was absent due to my mothers surgery, and any overpayments would need to be paid back. Uni had continued to pay me, and I thought it was normal as I was on leave, not actually withdrawn from the course. All thoughout January I fought against the University in regard to being withdrawn when I thought it was all authorised. This resulted in a formal complaint being made though the Ombuds in February, after yet another bursary payment in January. Ombuds stated that I needed to have been a student within 30 days to be able to make the complaint, and the complaint went ahead. Surely this implies that I was still classed as a student in January and not withdrawn in September as stated?

The result of the ombuds meeting was that I was welcomed back to start my course again from scratch, even after I had completed and passed first year, in Septemer 2010. Since the payment in January I was unable to find work, and had to live off my bursary as I still had to keep a roof over my head and pay bills.

Now, in May, I am still being paid monthly by the bursary, and even though I know it's only ended up making things worse for my self, I've had to spend the money to live, and am soon to be employed by the NHS.

I know I'm going to have to contact the Bursary people and request they stop paying me, but they're either going to try and charge me overpayments from September, which would be roughly £4500 or I'll have to argue the point I was still classed as a student in February to have had the ombuds meeting, which would result in overpayments of £2000.

I've never recieved any letters from University or the Bursary Authority since December, 3 months after I was alledgedly withdrawn.

What is the best way to go about this? What is the likelyhood I'll only have to pay back the £2000 instead of the £4500? And will I be able to have a payment plan?

I'm a total worrier, and am in no other debt, so the thought of owing a large amount of money is really starting to make me fret; I shouldn't have spent the bursary but at the time it felt like it was the only thing I could do to keep me going...

Thanks again

Guest Old_andrew2018

Did you join either unison or the RCN as a student if so have you had any advice from them.