How have the recent rulings affected claiming for credit cards?

aagwill
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I started a thread a while back and have been avoiding debt collection agencies for a while now. Me and my girlfriend have 4 credit cards (Barclaycard(1998), Egg(pre 2003), Littlewoods aka Barclaycard (pre 2003) and Mint (2004)), one Resolve loan from Barclays bank, a Next Directory debt and a debt from Lloyd's TSB for money completely made up of charges after going overdrawn from being charged!

I need to be in a position to get a mortgage in about 18 months time. I understand I will need to get my credit file sorted out and that I will probably end up paying a lot of interest on the mortgage due to debts that will still show even if satisfied. I am getting a nice hand-out from my parents to cover approx 45% of the cost of the house and have already asked if I can use some of this money to pay my debts off and have been told no in no uncertain terms.

I will start a thread for each debt, but was just wondering how the recent court cases have affected the claims process for charges, both account and credit cards and getting your CCA.

I am now being chased about all of these debts and I'm being threatened with court action by most. Should I wait until they take me to court or should I start action myself?

There is so much great info on this site it's hard to find exactly what your looking for. Sorry if finding this info is trivial I just need a nudge in the right direction.

Any help is most appreciated. :confused:

Edited by aagwill

Hi Aagwill,

You will see from other threads here in the BC forum that Caggers are happily reclaiming their charges, including compound interest at the bank's contractual rate.

Credit cards penalty charges are still unlawful and can be reclaimed in full - not just the excess over the £12 limit set by the FOS some years back.

Have a read of other threads and see the Interest Tutorial linked in my signature below.

If you don't have all the a/c statements for the last 6 years, send off a SAR to get the data you require.

If you have the statements, decide whether or not you want to claim compound int't at the contractual rate and put data concerning penalty charges on an appropriate spreadsheet.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Once you have read and understood your options, and decided how to proceed, use this letter for your Prelim Letter - http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/121-bookworm

Use it again as your LBA. Read more about this in the Reclaiming Guide at Link No1 in my signature.

But, most importantly, spend the time needed so you know what you're doing.

Good luck. ;)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)