How much is a fair reflection of costs?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How much, in your opinion is a true reflection of costs?  

223 Caggers have voted

1. 1. How much, in your opinion is a true reflection of costs?

• £1
    • £2
    • £5
    • £10
    • £20

A pre-estimate for a breach is allowed in law as long as it reflects the true costs incured by the second party.

E.G. if it cost £33.76, then a £35 fee would not be considered a penalty.

How much do you think the banks should be allowed to charge if their true costs are reflected?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Dave,

Thanks for picking up the suggestion. I would further suggest that rather than vote for pre-determined amounts, the poll reflects an average. I would personally say that £2.50 is fair and reasonable, but the option for this value isn't there...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Dave it says "you may not vote in this poll"

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

I think they all do - tried voting in something else earlier...same response.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Dave,

Thanks for picking up the suggestion. I would further suggest that rather than vote for pre-determined amounts, the poll reflects an average. I would personally say that £2.50 is fair and reasonable, but the option for this value isn't there...

But that would mean I would have to collate them myself, and I just haven't got the time for that.

MondeoST24 - I have checked the security and you should all be able to vote.

Can you try again for me?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Below the chart it says:

Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

But that would mean I would have to collate them myself, and I just haven't got the time for that

Fair argument - perhaps a few more options? Increments of 50p to a fiver, then increments of £2.50 after that...?

What options would you like to be able to see?

------------

------------

I've been able to vote....!

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Ok, own up, who voted for £5.00 ?!

Only kidding, it's a free world (except for bank charges!!!) and we're all entitled to our opinions. I think that this poll is a great idea.

It'll be useful to see what people's views are on this.

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

It's purely theoretical - we are basing our votes on what we think the banks should reasonably charge. The reality may well be that true costs = £6...but then again, if the banks had been transparent about this to start with, we wouldn't be here...

Just to play devils advocate I've always thought it should be a percentage of the breach. The same charge for going £5 over or £500 over doesn't seem fair to me. £2.50 is 50% of the former.

If you found this post helpful please click on the scales, top right. Thank you.

If you find this site helpful and if you reclaim your charges please donate by clicking the button at the top of the page

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

GE Capital - counter claim 6/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

Just to play devils advocate I've always thought it should be a percentage of the breach

Expect a few unfavourable replies to that...although it is a fair comment. If 50% was acceptable, would they bother charging if the breach was 50 pence? And what if the breach was £200? I think everyone would agree that a fixed cost is fairer, because they have to do the same work regardless...

OK. a percentage, with a maximum amount maybe? I still think £2.50 is a lot for going over £1.00.

If you found this post helpful please click on the scales, top right. Thank you.

If you find this site helpful and if you reclaim your charges please donate by clicking the button at the top of the page

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

A fair reflection is the exact quantum of the loss caused to the first party of a contract by a direct result of a breach by the second party that put the first part to work in rectifying the breach.

American banks have been able to work out to the dollar and cent how much a bounced cheque or DD costs. So why noy UK banks?? Because it makes then billions a year.

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

What I find hard to grasp is how it costs anything, as, when you use your debit card in a shop, if there's not enough funds its rejected, but theres no charge. Surely its the same action to reject a dd or cheque?

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

MondeoST24 - I have checked the security and you should all be able to vote. Can you try again for me?

Yes, fine now just voted

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

What I find hard to grasp is how it costs anything, as, when you use your debit card in a shop, if there's not enough funds its rejected, but theres no charge. Surely its the same action to reject a dd or cheque?

Hear hear.

A percentage would be wrong, as it then attributes a "fault" to the customer, when the charge is supposed to reflect the banks' cost.

Maybe I'm naive, but I still think that the additional interest accrued by the banks for every extra day, extra pound that we're in breach, added to the difference in interest between what they pay us when in credit and what they charge us when in debit, is in itself a more than fair and reasonable charge.

but the interest is a percentage of how much you've gone over your limit. Surely that then reflects the fact that it costs the banks more if you go over £500 than £5? However I agree that the interest should be enough payment without an additional charge.

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

but the interest is a percentage of how much you've gone over your limit. Surely that then reflects the fact that it costs the banks more if you go over £500 than £5?

No, because it doesn't cost the BANK, it cost YOU. The bank actually profits more the more you borrow.

They're not actually advancing you their own money, remember. They are effectively letting you have the money someone else has deposited. They are paying that person a tiny % interest and charging you a much bigger one. Result = major profits for them.

If it cost them anything at all, do you think they would let us go over? Not on your nelly.

It is in their advantage to let us borrow more and more. The only time they'll pull the plug is when there's a risk that you won't be able to repay it at all, and that they'll end up having to swallow the debt. Then, they'll act.

The best customer is not someone who manages well and pays off his debts every month on time. It's the person on benefits, the person on low income who's struggling to make ends meet from pay cheque to pay cheque, and never quite managing. And that's even before they start lumping the charges. Beasts of burden all, that's what we are.

*Aaaaand deep breaths.....*

I like Bookworm's philosophies and generally cynical take on life - it matches mine in many ways :)

He's right, too.

Some interesting points here; my own personal bugbear with the level of bank charges is this:

Some organisations charge from around £1 to £3 extra on your account (Bt for example, or most mobile phone contracts) if you pay by cheque, or (for goodness sake), cash over the counter instead of paying by direct debit.

This, they argue, is because a manual payment costs them more to process. I'm not entirely au-fait with this, but it's a reasonable enough argument.

What this does prove is that it costs £3 or less to process a manual payment - obviously much less for a direct debit. How, then, can a bank possibly argue that it costs them £38 (RBS) for a rejected direct debit?

What I am getting at is that if various companies are happy with £3 or less to process a manual payment where on earth do the banks get their figures from?

Has anybody used this argument?

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks