• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPI Cardif Pinnacle

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone , :)

Bit of advice needed here please ...... a friend of mine who is self-employed took out a mortgage some years ago from A&L . He was sold PPI at the time and the policy is with Cardif Pinnacle.

Thing is , now that he is suffering because of the recession , they're saying he has to wind up his business before they will pay out . His contention is that this was not explained to him when he was given the policy, had he known he would never have taken the policy on ....

He's at the stage where FOS has become involved and they're asking on the complaint form who supplied the policy . Problem is, A&L are saying that ,as his mortgage was arranged through an Independent Financial Adviser,(IFA) they are not the providers ......but A&L are offering him a ludicrous refund of the difference in his premiums , back to an earlier date..... surely this is admitting some liability ?

I've advised him to look closely at his PPI policy agreement again , to see who countersigned as having provided this , i.e A&L or the IFA.

Thing is are any of them responsible or is it now Cardif Pinnacle .....?

Can anyone come up with any suggestions as to how to proceed on this ... or am I on the right track ...... :rolleyes:.

Thanks in advance

johnny:)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Hi everyone , :)

Bit of advice needed here please ...... a friend of mine who is self-employed took out a mortgage some years ago from A&L . He was sold PPI at the time and the policy is with Cardif Pinnacle.

Thing is , now that he is suffering because of the recession , they're saying he has to wind up his business before they will pay out . His contention is that this was not explained to him when he was given the policy, had he known he would never have taken the policy on ....

He's at the stage where FOS has become involved and they're asking on the complaint form who supplied the policy . Problem is, A&L are saying that ,as his mortgage was arranged through an Independent Financial Adviser,(IFA) they are not the providers ......but A&L are offering him a ludicrous refund of the difference in his premiums , back to an earlier date..... surely this is admitting some liability ?

I've advised him to look closely at his PPI policy agreement again , to see who countersigned as having provided this , i.e A&L or the IFA.

Thing is are any of them responsible or is it now Cardif Pinnacle .....?

Can anyone come up with any suggestions as to how to proceed on this ... or am I on the right track ...... :rolleyes:.

Thanks in advance

johnny:)

Hello JM,

IMO if he has the agreement and it is signed by A&L or on A&L paper and he is repaying the mortgage to A&L including any PPI then it has to be A&L who he claims from. Remember A&L have already been hit with a massive fine by the FSA for mis-selling PPI.

Alliance & Leicester to pay £7 million fine for PPI failings

If the mortgage was arranged through an independent advisor but the capital is being repaid to A&L then they should be approached for the details on who the IFA is. I would also bet that the PPI is being repaid to A&L and not cardif pinnacle.

You will IMO undoubtedly find that a lot of the banks etc offered PPI charged you a huge amount for the PPI but will have obtained the PPI through a internal Insurance company at a much reduced amount to what they charge the individual.

Hope this helps

aa

• Haha 1

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hi AA , lovely to hear from you again ....:)

Thanks so much for your reply,as usual it is most comprehensive and helpful ......

I'll have to get him to check the PPI agreement again .... but will keep you in the picture on developments ........,

btw, do you reckon there would have been any legality in selling this PPI to someone who is self-employed ...... ? :confused:

Thanks again , :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

look like he's in for a windfall

go get 'em.

ans don't put up with any rubbish from A&L!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi AA , lovely to hear from you again ....:)

Thanks so much for your reply,as usual it is most comprehensive and helpful ......

I'll have to get him to check the PPI agreement again .... but will keep you in the picture on developments ........,

btw, do you reckon there would have been any legality in selling this PPI to someone who is self-employed ...... ? :confused:

Thanks again , :D

Self employed will no doubt be an exclusion in the terms and conditions for you to be able to make a claim so the policy if this exclusion is there and you declared yourself as self employed then it would be mis-sold,

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

i find this one strange actually

cause A&L were coughing with only one letter a few months back

they were also writing to people inviting them to reclaim....

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It looks as if they've provided a 'copy' of a document signed by the rep of the IFA.....but no name or signature of the mortgagee on it , so could be for anyone ......makes me think this was an intermediate document and there are other documents to go with it .... which they haven't sent ...... because they're incriminatory to either A&L or Cardif...........

Do you think maybe a full-blown SAR is worth pursuing .... ? and is there a template for one for Mortgages handy ?

Thanks again for all your input guys ...... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

yes fire off the PPI SAR in our stickies here

dx

and they

:D Best of luck JM

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I've been a bit out of this lately .......

My friend has now had a Final Decision Letter from Cardif Pinacle which states :

"In order to be entitled to benefit form your Insurance , you are required to have ceased trading."

it goes on to say :

"As I hope you can appreciate, this is important...etc etc ... as you must be entirely without gainful employment ........

Regrettably , it does not seem that your situation fulfils the mandatory definitions stipulated as this is a temporary cessation only until work is found .This type of 'lull in trade ' was not designed to be covered by the policy ........"

So ,his contention is that, as a self-employed person at the time of the selling of this policy, no-one in his right mind would have agreed to this kind of Mortgage Protection Cover ........ therefore it was mis-sold as his staus all along ....has been that of Self-employed...... and still is ....

I've advised him to forward a copy of the Final Decision letter to the ombudsman, to be married up with the previous correspondence , and we await a decision........

Meanwhile, is there anything else we should be doing to push this claim along......... I'd be grateful for any suggestions ,

Thanks in advance folks

:D

Nemo me impune lacessit

btw , he's had a copy of the Cover agreement he signed. I noticed on the bit which gives options of alternative decisions , nothing has been deleted , which means no options were discussed or explained to him ......

I've advised him to point this out to FOS when he sends a copy of it ......

Nemo me impune lacessit

Sorry I've been a bit out of this lately .......

My friend has now had a Final Decision Letter from Cardif Pinacle which states :

"In order to be entitled to benefit form your Insurance , you are required to have ceased trading."

it goes on to say :

"As I hope you can appreciate, this is important...etc etc ... as you must be entirely without gainful employment ........

Regrettably , it does not seem that your situation fulfils the mandatory definitions stipulated as this is a temporary cessation only until work is found .This type of 'lull in trade ' was not designed to be covered by the policy ........"

So ,his contention is that, as a self-employed person at the time of the selling of this policy, no-one in his right mind would have agreed to this kind of Mortgage Protection Cover ........ therefore it was mis-sold as his staus all along ....has been that of Self-employed...... and still is ....

I've advised him to forward a copy of the Final Decision letter to the ombudsman, to be married up with the previous correspondence , and we await a decision........

Meanwhile, is there anything else we should be doing to push this claim along......... I'd be grateful for any suggestions ,

Thanks in advance folks

:D

Almost certainly if this wasnt explained to him, then it was mis sold. What a load of.... :rolleyes:

Just make sure you take copies of all the paperwork and bullet point everything on the complaint form. I rather suspect that in the first instance you will receive from the FOS, one of their new fangled forms , where you will need to repeat everything again. This they will send off to the company, even though you have received a Final Response letter from them:confused:

IMHO, the complaint form and documents should be sufficient. But the poor darlings are under a lot of pressure :rolleyes:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

it almost reads that they are mistaking his mis-selling PPI reclaim request as a CLAIM on the PPI?

my thoughts

dx

and they

Thanks CB and dx,

Ah ,well it was when he tried to claim on his MRC (PPI) that they turned him down for eligibility ..... that's when he complained of mis-selling .......

and btw , you're absolutely right CB , they've sent a Complaint Form AND a Consumer 'something' form ....... both of which contain much the same information. ........

Nemo me impune lacessit