SRJ Debt Recoveries - Old E.ON Bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5084 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all, i was hoping to get some advice. I've read a couple of threads by people who were in the situation im in now & was wondering about how the resolution worked out.

I moved into a rented flat back in Oct 2004. I called Powergen to set up the supply. We didn't get any bills and so i wrote to them in Dec 2004 querying it and they said there was an error on their billing system.

We moved out in July 2008 and we didn't receive a single bill for the whole period from Oct 2004- July 2008.

I have an autistic daughter who i care for and so i didn't chase it up any further. I have now received a letter from SRJ Debt Recoveries headed Trace Confirmation.

I know its in reference to EON as its the only thing outstanding plus i did some internet research confirming similar stories.

I just cannot believe eon can bill 4 years worth of invoices because they couldnt get their admin in order. I'm on Carer's Allowance to take care of my daughter, how can i pay this? Its already such a struggle.

Ive read that there's a rule where energy companies cannot enforce old debt after a certain time period. Is that true? Would much appreciate advice.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they did not send you a bill for a more than a year then the account falls under the Energy Retail Association Code of Practice for Accurate Bills (Billing Code).

This means that any charges which cover more than a year prior to the date the first correct bill was sent you cannot be charged for, e.g. if you moved out of the property in January 2009 and the bill was sent in September 09, they could only charge you from September 08 to January 09.

Hi thank u nottslad. This may be me being pedantic but basically we moved out in July 2008 and have still got an ongoing mail redirection service, so i know eon have never billed me.

As its now May 2010 and the invoices would relate to Oct 2004 - July 2008, should i disregard the DCA letter?

yes!!

there are lots of old bills that have been brought by various DCA's

there is nothing they can do to you

they have NO LEGAL POWERS

ignore them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If the account was billed in the correct manner originally, then the debt could be valid and payable, eventually the account may be passed for litigation which could affect your credit rating and enforce payment.

Write to eon stating you dispute the debt and ask them to prove it by sending you copies of bills etc.... You could always say you never lived in the property concerned and they have the wrong person lol

From you first post it seems to me that all you have received is a letter from SRJ who are on a fishing expedition to trace someone who they believe owes a debt to someone. It is you who have jumped to the conclusion that this is about a possible debt with EON.

You do not have to respond to SRJ (who have no powers) so do not do so. If they think they have found their debtor then they will correspond again and then hopefully you will know what they are about.

In my veiw it would be a mistake to correspond with EON in any way until SRJ have shown there hand.

If this were about the nonsense with Powergen/EON then from your account you can repudiate any 'debt' with EON by invoking the Billing Code. You owe nothing to EON.

So stop worrying and await events

thank you everyone for your advice, its much appreciated. I would love to deny living there but i guess my previous landlord would have a copy of the tenancy agreement.

I know that SRJ haven't confirmed whether they're from EON, its just that im guessing its them as that was the only ever outstanding thing.

I had wrote/called EON during 2004 when i had moved in but as they didn't seem to do anything i eventually left it. When i moved out in July 2008 i didn't tell EON i was moving, i just left with the final meter reads given to my landlord.

I still have an ongoing mail redirection so i know that EON have never billed me and have gone straight to a DCA.

Seeing as i didnt contact EON, would the Billing Code still apply? Thank you guys once again for your advice

A supplier is able to bill for one year back from the date of the first correct bill that was sent. If there was infact a bill sent when you moved out which for some reason you may not have received, they would be able to charge for one year prior to this provided they had not billed you previously and there is evidence to show that you contacted them when you moved in

Thank you everyone for your help. I've heard nothing yet from neither SRJ or EON. It sounds silly to think that i may have got away with paying 4 years worth of bills, but it was their own fault. I'm assuming that from the billing code that seeing as we moved out in July 2008, that any bill invoiced after July 2009 would be invalid. Lets see what happens...

I'll keep u guys updated.

with the billing code, the supplier can back bill for one year previous to information being supplied that should be acted on, its a little more complicated than that, for example if the supplier wasn't notifed you moved out, but in a nut shell, thats correct

hi, unfortunately i've just received another letter from SRJ Debt Recoveries.

It's headed "Pending Litigation Notice" and says that i've failed to make arrangements and/or maintain a payment plan with E.ON. So this is now officially the eon account.

The debt is for £4554.68!! that looks like the whole usage from Oct 2004-July 2008 being billed at once!!

What do i do now? Do i write to SRJ, EON or both?

I'm just devastated.

You don't just pay someone who demands money. If you do then pass me your address and I will bill you quoting some water company.

You need details from them of the claim bill and they must provide it. As said above, you are only liable for one year at the max.

By details I mean copies of all the quarterly bills for all the years claimed.

Yea i wouldn't pay without seeing some proof. I'll write a letter to SRJ to see what the bills are and check the dates of issue.

There would be no way i can pay over £4000. Should i write to eon too??

Thank you everyone for your help. Its more than appreciated.

No, don't write to Eon, they aren't the ones asking. If they have bought the debt and any paperwork is required, it's up to them to get it from eon

A friend came to me with an AOL bill exactly the same circumstances as yours. I just wrote one letter to them to send all the proof and I would then consider it. He never heard anything else.

oh god!

not the 'pre-litigation letter'

three to go........

IGNORE THEM.

please do some reading on things.

they can do stuff all to you they are a DCA

they have NO LEGALS POWERS.

next one is the diff headed solicitors notepaper or the doorstep visit one.

do NOT contact them at all.

dx

Edited by dx100uk
opss!!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

my advice would be to write to the DCA stating you do not acknowledge the debt and therefore formally dispute their claim and under OFT guidelines, proof of this should be sent by them to you within say 28 days or you will consider the matter resolved.

Point out in your letter that they should contact eon on your behalf or send a letter to eon stating the above and asking eon to contact their DCA

Thank u everyone for your help. I think i'll write to SRJ as suggested by Conniff & Nottslad disputing the bill & asking for evidence.

I've done so much reading but there's so much contradictory info out there. Plus its quite hard whilst being a full-time mother & carer.

I just wanted to ask dx100uk, if i ignore SRJ, they'll just pass this around. It'll never leave me alone completely. Plus it could damage my credit rating right?

Thank you once again for your invaluable advice.

Sorry to jump in but you need the assistance... It will not damage your credit rating until it got to county court. Although the DCA have no legal powers in terms of taking your belongings to off-set the debt, they can take legal action such as raisin a CCJ.

Would be far better to try and get this sorted by stating you dispute the balance and require proof that you are responsible, and that if they cannot help you then they should raise your concerns with EON. If you need any help with what to put in the letters etc, just let me know

Thank u everyone for your help. I think i'll write to SRJ as suggested by Conniff & Nottslad disputing the bill & asking for evidence.

I've done so much reading but there's so much contradictory info out there. Plus its quite hard whilst being a full-time mother & carer.

I just wanted to ask dx100uk, if i ignore SRJ, they'll just pass this around. It'll never leave me alone completely. Plus it could damage my credit rating right?

Thank you once again for your invaluable advice.

As nottslad says, this can't damage your credit rating. There is no guarantee though that if they have no proof that you owe anything that this will be the last you hear of it.

If these monkeys can't get anything because they have bought a pup, they just sell it on to someone else who thinks they might have better luck.

But it may not be a purchased debt, they could be collecting on behalf of eon, but you should only contact them and if any information is required from eon, then it is up to them to get it and pass it on.

as pointed out, it will matter not what you do/do not send if this is a brought debt, it will just be passed around. my feeling is it is.

as for the credit rating / CCJ, they go hand in hand, if they can CCJ youm they can screw your credit rating, i think they can do neither.

i don't remember seeing a thread were a CCJ has resulted from this type of utility bill fleecing.

pers i'd contact e-on and stay well clear of the dca. if i were to do anything.

dx

and they

SRJ will have bought the debt, they do not collect on behalf of EON, it will have been written off and then sold, however still write to eon with the details of your dispute and write to the DCA stating you dispute the debt

thsnks notts

then i'd ignore totally.

will matter not what you write

it will just be passed around as you bounce one =DCA away

phishing list sadly

dx

and they

Thank you so much nottslad, dx100uk and conniff. Im glad that im lucky to be in contact with those who know how it works.

I hope im not becoming a nuisance but was wondering if i could ask for any pointers in what to write to SRJ and E.ON.

Would E.ON act in stopping SRJ if they've written the debt off?

Thank you so much for your advise.