Overdraft overseas, cannot gain access to account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5188 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I left London around 4 years ago with around 2000 pounds left to pay on an 2000 pound overdraft with Natwest. Since then I have relocated overseas, and do not see when I will be able to get back to the UK in the next few years.

It worries me sick sometimes the amount of debt I might be incurring by leaving the account inactive, however I do not have any way to access the account, either online or via the telephone, as apparently I had not set up either service while in the UK. The best I can do is request bills from an old flatshare, hoping that they still receive them.

I realize how irresponsible this was, but want to now rectify the situation. My immediate family is not in the UK, and so I don't believe that I can send anyone to speak with them on my behalf. Is there some other course of action I can take to confront this issue?

I am also slightly reluctant to give them my new address overseas until I have some idea of what kind of repayment plan they can offer. This is mostly motivated by fear, as I am intent on repayment but don't want to be crucified over what was initially such a manageable sum.

I would really appreciate your help, as this psychologically terrifies me from time to time, and I feel constricted to do anything about it.

Thanks in advance

G

Also, from reading around the forums, seeing as the last time I dealt with this account was around four years ago, what would constitute setting back the clock on any 'statute barred' status?

As I said, I am terrified they are going to try and hit me for a lot more than the 2000 I spent, and would want to be wary of not stepping on a mine.

Does a CCA request constitute activity enough to set back the 'Statute Barred' clock?

what would constitute setting back the clock on any 'statute barred' status?
It would set it back if you contacted them acknowledging the debt or making any payment.

A CCA is not any use for an overdraft in normal circumstances, it would be better to send a SAR but as they have not contacted you in this time & you only have a couple of years left it may be wiser to let sleeping dogs lie. Particularly as there are no reciprocal agreements where you are... they couldn't take enforcement action.

Thanks so much for your response.

If I were to let sleeping dogs lie, as you put it, could they not take court action against me in my absence? I receive no mail here from my UK address (it all goes RTS) so would not know if they took this to the courts..

Thanks again!!

If I were to let sleeping dogs lie, as you put it, could they not take court action against me in my absence?
If they did that you could easily get it 'set aside' as they cannot legally obtain a CCJ against a non-UK resident.

See; http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=12_how_to_set_aside_a_judgment_in_the_county_court