What planet are A & L Customer Services on?

snecky
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In May 2007 I successfully claimed back almost £400 in charges from A & L. Included in their settlement letter was the "as you do not accept the terms and conditions" blah blah threat, I informed them to go ahead and close the account and to cancel any and all standing orders or direct debits. The following week I received a letter saying they would be closing the account on 26th May 2007.

After this date letters started arriving each month adding £25 for an unpaid item and a further £25 unauthorised overdraft charge. Each month I wrote to them saying they had closed the account and therefore how was I liable for transactions they were trying to put through on an account that they themselves had closed.

My letters were never answered. Each month another letter would arrive and the new "balance" would be increased by £50 + "interest" Each month I would refer them back to my previous letters.

Amount owed as of November 2007 £377.44, from a nil balance at close of account date 26/05/07.

Then the OFT test case came into effect and they stopped sending the letters and I refrained from writing back.

After Jan 2010 they've started again, so I'm now on my 3rd letter back to customer services since Jan 2007 again detailing why I don't owe them any money and still I receive no reply...... just the next nasty computer generated letter with the new "balance"

Anyone any idea what planet A & L Customer services is on because there's no-one home at Bootle??????????????

In other words:- Has anyone else had a similar experience of no replies to your letters from A & I Customer Services

Edited by snecky
Addition to end of post

• 2 weeks later...
Well if I told you that their head office is located in a closed asylum what does that tell you?

Rather ironic I thought!

lol

Although unlikely to resolve it, as such issues are hard to resolve over the phone, have you considered phoning them at least once to ask why your issue is being ignored?

Or, perhaps write and address it to a specific department/address that deals with complaints? It may get answered then as they will be cautious of OFT guidelines and unlikely to ignore those addressed correctly to a complaints department. Include a copy of their letter(s) showing they will close it!

• 3 months later...

To all current A & L customers I have just one thing to say, get out before they do too much more damage! and to all potential A & L customers who have seen the recent telly ads about transferring you account, don't bother they havn't got a clue and they loose your details.

• 4 weeks later...

Had an argument in a&l branch in watford on mar23rd this year and asked for account to be frozen pending problems with partner as joint account. Cut a long story short i was arrested as one of the a&l staff was an spg who despite me asking 3 times for him to freeze account he ignored me and just kept saying i was under arrest! No charges were brought against me but account was od by £12.96. By the time we got letter in june telling us of this and had paid this amount a&l informed us it is now £295 plus costs!!! My question is this...should a&l staff member have ignored my request to freeze a/c and despite numerous phone calls all a&l do is pass the buck and just keep adding charges which stand now at a ridiculous £295 for a measly £12.96 od which was paid. Any help much appreciated

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat!

During the start of 2009, a&l put some unacceptable charges on my a/c, that put me overdrawn. I phoned and complained, and they (unbelievably) said they would refund the charges. They even sent a letter saying charges would be refunded, (but no amounts on letter!).

When my next statement came through, they had only credited one of the charges and left the other, hence leaving me overdrawn. They added the usual charges. I phoned and got nowhere. They just said they were only refunding one of the original charges. Well, I had an arguement over the phone with one of their rude staff and told him they would not get a penny out of me and I'd see them in court. I just left it and every month they would add their charges until the debt rose to £610. They stopped at this amount due to the High Court case. They started to persue it again this year.

I've moved house now, but I know its only a matter of time before they catch up. I can't believe how these big organisations can treat people like this.

Well, I'm prepared to go to court over this, its daylight robbery. It amazes me how many people on here are treated like this. What is wrong with this flaming country!!!