Cargiant Faulty car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm trying to work out what I can expert in the way of service from a used car dealer after my car has become faulty. If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful. I have already posted this on another website but this website does seem better suited, so apologies if you have read this somewhere else already.

I bought a VW Golf, 56 reg 1.9 tdi S with 75000 miles from Cargiant for £6999, on 13th March. It has driven 46 miles since and this Saturday morning it failed to start. RAC came out had a look and said it needed to be taken to the local VW garage for special diagnostics. The local VW garage looked at it on Monday afternoon and have determined that two bits of work need doing costing approx £900 (which they would have been able to do by now). Cargiant not too keen to pay this so have decided to undertake the work themselves and picked up the car this morning from the VW garage.

My worry is that I start a new job on Monday so as you can expect I was quite keen to get the VW garage to sort out the problem quickly. I have told Cargiant this but they haven't given me any timescales yet and have noted that I have requested a loan vehicle, but as yet can't confirm I will get one before Monday.

I have been trying to understand the SOGA as relates to used cars but still not fully clear as to my rights. As they have chosen to do the repairs in a manner which significantly inconveniences me, am I entitled to a loan vehicle or the cost of a hire car whilst they undertake the repair. Am I also correct in that I can claim compensation for out of pocket costs in sorting this matter out?

Many Thanks

Companies normally have a standard 30 day warranty on used cars, thereafter you can normally purchase extended warranties. Firstly you need to check over the paperwork to see what you have.

From my experience of my current case, I would say that you should put everything in writing; even if it is an e-mail to them, stating what was found to be wrong and that you have asked them to fix it. Make sure you list exactly what the issues were in case you need that evidence in future.

I don't know if they are under obligation to provide a courtesy car, however I would expect a courtesy car if I was in your position as you need your car to get to work.

• 1 year later...

Hi. Cragiant did a very dangerous sale to me. I bought a 17k VW Touareg and after few days I decide to do a maintenance service to the dealer garage. After few check the said that the car has a rear brake callipers seased and the car needs a new ones. Together with the car I bought also one year AA warranty which after I called them they confirm that the works are include in the policy but they are not going to authorise the repair as is down to Cargiant which should not sell a car with such a big problem. Cargiant they should do the safety checks prior selling and this is one of their advertise, brakes been one of them. I end up paying my self the repair of 1186 pounds hoping that Cargiant will give me the full refund. I called Cargiant and tell them about the dangerous sale they've done and they agree to pay only the parts value.I totally refused and now I'm thinking to send them to Court. I want to share the bad experience I had with this dealer and the advice is to avoid buying from them.

• 3 years later...

I read quite a few negative reviews about Car Giant and would like to share my own experience with them. I bought Vauxhall Astra (2011) from them at the end of July 2014 and unfortunately after a few weeks driving the car a strange noise starting coming out of the engine, this was after 5 minutes the car has been driven. I therefore dropped it off at a local garage and was told that inlet pulley, exhaust pulley, camshaft belt kit and rocker cover gasket need replacing and it will cost me £800. So I called Car Giant who asked for the report to be sent to them and the next day they called me back asking me to bring the car back so they can inspect it themselves. The garage told me that I shouldn't be driving the car for a long distance so I called Car Giant and asked them to retrieve my car and provide me with a courtesy while my Astra is being repaired. They collected the car within four days and gave me Vauxhall Meriva as a courtesy car. One day after the pick up I was told that an ac compressor need changing to resolve the noise issue rather than the parts identified by the local garage. There was another minor issue, which I asked Car Giant to fix while my car was with them. The car went in on Wednesday, was looked at on Thursday and repaired by Tuesday next week. I picked up my car yesterday and the noise is no longer there, the other minor issue was also fixed and all was free of charge. I can't fault Car Giant in any way here as their customer services (namely Lily) were very helpful and arranged everything at my convenience. Perhaps there were improvements at their end in the last few years, but people who experience issues with their cars just need to call them and explain the problems. I would not have an issue buying another car from them as so far the service I received was more than I expected.