• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Dissolved company what will the bank do

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I run running a Ltd business which stopped trading over a year back with an ODraft of some 14k with PG by me. I have had almost zero contact from the bank in this time other than a 'letter of concern' last August, since then nothing. The business was finally dissolved in October last year so on to my question.

What should or will Lloyds do next, some 6 months after being dissolved, nothing other than monthly interest continuing to mount up, now close to 16k. Are they legally bound to do anything in this situation? I am also in a bad way with same bank personally (both accounts are dealt with by same business acct manager) so they would be able to see the full picture and the cynic in me wonders if they are waiting to see improvement in personal situation before doing anything on the business side, can they do this? are there any time limits?

Help appreciated.

If you have given a personal guarantee, they will come after you. The limit is 6 years

That means 6 years from the time they try to invoke the guarantee and you breach it

ok thanks, so they can do nothing and let the interest accrue then when they they think I am better able to pay they can choose at that time to start the process. Not sure that is fair but that's life!

ok thanks, so they can do nothing and let the interest accrue then when they they think I am better able to pay they can choose at that time to start the process. Not sure that is fair but that's life!

I know where you are at having done this myself. Now don't feel I'm on the banks side here, people who know me will know better, but when you guaranteed this overdraft the bank had lent the monies and you obviously felt confident enough to put your guarantee in place to cover it if all went belly-up. So unfair?....is that quite the word? Maybe not.

That said, there are remedies, but banks will come back and will take all your circumstances into account. i.e: do you have assets..they can check the value of your property +/- on-line and through your credit files as to your mortgage without referring to you so they'll know more or less what you're worth. Asset is one thing, cash-flow another, so they wait if they see you are in short term trouble, but have assets. If you have no assets and rent for example, that changes the dynamics somewhat when negotiating any settlements.

Now the size of this is, with respect, relatively small in loans and o/d terms so it is a manageable amount if you look at it from their perspective so you have to decide quite how you want to manage this against what their options are. ie. sit in the banks shoes for a second and look at it from their side.

Once these 'debts' have been passed to the Debt Management department of the bank from the branch that's when you get into negotiating territory.

What I would suggest is that you ask the account holder what the balance being asked is made up of, whether there are many charges (I know business charges are not the same as consumer, but they are a slight bargaining tool when the time comes. How much is interest and so on. Break it down because there will come a time when you will need to make an arrangement to repay this if you are to avoid charging orders (if you own assets) or even personal bankruptcy. Once you have agreed a figure owed with the bank then you need to set up some repayment schedule. They may sell the debt to a DCA, but you'd be better off trying to make an arrangement with the bank although you can play with DCA's for a while, some can get nasty. It buys you time playing with them that's all and you may be able to get full and final settlements of about 50-60% on average. You may also be able to get that from the bank, but you would need to be in funds to do that.

Before I waffle on any further let us know the circumstances and maybe we can talk you through this step by step. I've done this myself a while ago, but you can do it and get a reasonable deal, but you just need a little patience and the application to negotiate over a period of time. If cash-flow's the problem then the longer term arrangement is best.

Good luck anyway.

Hi andrew1

Thanks for the post, and your right about the unfair bit and I am not trying to get out of paying, you borrow based upon fact at the time and expectation of the future - sadly this did not happen and I am left in financial ruin for many years - which is fine, all part of life. What feels unfair is the fact the ltd business is no more yet they appear to be doing nothing waiting to see if I improve my financial statyus sufficiently to then demand payment. As it is because my persoanl side is also with them and very messy they can see this will take some time. So I guess it is sit back and wait or is it worth me making the contact to see what the state of play is? as it stands there is no room for me to make an offer or even a monthly payment as I pay every penny on personal debt and living essentials.

Thanks anyway.

Hi andrew1

Thanks for the post, and your right about the unfair bit and I am not trying to get out of paying, you borrow based upon fact at the time and expectation of the future - sadly this did not happen and I am left in financial ruin for many years - which is fine, all part of life. What feels unfair is the fact the ltd business is no more yet they appear to be doing nothing waiting to see if I improve my financial status sufficiently to then demand payment. As it is because my personal side is also with them and very messy they can see this will take some time. So I guess it is sit back and wait or is it worth me making the contact to see what the state of play is? as it stands there is no room for me to make an offer or even a monthly payment as I pay every penny on personal debt and living essentials.

Thanks anyway.

Again, you don't say what your circumstances are with regards to assets. If you have a mortgage with Lloyds for example then they have you under their control. Can you tell us what hold they have on you?

There's always the option, if they know your circumstances, of asking if the Interest can be frozen for a period of time, at least that freezes the rot. If they know you would like to find a solution then it's better than just leaving it alone to fester and grow. When the day of reckoning comes it'll invariably be at a time that is not convenient to you or just when you thought you'd got back on your feet.

I'd also try and set yourself up with another account somewhere so you begin to create options for yourself. What Bankfodder will recognise I'm sure when we all talked about parachute accounts when banks came nasty over claims for bank charges. Always handy to have another account for your income so it is not stripped off you the minute you get it.

Anyway, one step at a time, tell us the structure of your position with the bank and maybe there's a way through this you hadn't thought of or tried.

With all the experience coming through this forum, there's always someone who has been through what you have and they have found a way through.