Refund from con artist

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For a period of 9 months my wife was paying a Reiki healer to perform remote healing on our cat. She now realises that she has been conned, at £30 a time, every week. Every week, this woman would make out she was talking to the cat over a distance of 30 miles and report back via the phone with stories of what problems the cat had and how she had healed them. She continuously concentrated on the cat's kidneys because we'd had a misdiagnoses from a vet stating so. Just before the cat died, a blood test showed her kidneys were 100% - it was her liver that had been failing. My wife was in a position whereby she was too frightened to discontinue the healing just in case it was working. I kept telling her it was garbage.

I wrote an e-mail on my wifes behalf, with her permission, asking for all money to be refunded. She says she won't respond to my complaint unless she gets a signed letter from my wife. Of course, my wife can send this, but is it really necesarry? Is it not good enough for me to complain on her behalf?

James

Well I am sorry that your wife has been conned. On the other hand, I'm sorry but this is a hilarious story.

Anyway, I don't see any problem with you writing the letter but why won't your wife simply sign and have done with it?

Of course, do you really think that you are going to get your money back just because your wife has signed the letter?

What exactly is the basis of your claim? If it is just that the treatment didn't work, I don't think that you have much of a chance.

If on the other hand you can show that she really was a faker or that she didn't carry out her side of the bargain as she said she would then you have a good basis for a claim.

If the vet misdiagnosed the liver problem, you might be better off claiming against him

Reiki is not treatment down the phone, but on a couch and prequisit of accepting treatment is a desire to be healed. Can a cat do this as in prequsit to be healed?

How can she be genuine doing it down the phone, could she be persued by police for this?

It might sound crazy. I have been powerless to get involved up to this point, but since the cat died my wife finally sees that she was being conned all along.

Obtaining money by deception & Fraud by false representation.

The quack has:

1. Deceived my wife by claiming to be able to communicate with a feline over a distance of 30 miles.

2. Repeatedly made up stories of various aches and pains and suggested they were healed.

3. Paid significant attention to kidneys, stating they "looked good" or "looked bad" depending on which way the wind was blowing. The truth is, the cat's kidneys were fine all along.

Where I find this most damaging, is that had cat woman not been on the scene, my wife might have directed her focus elsewhere and actually had a 2nd opinion from another vet. However, she was lead to beleive that distance healing was working and all the while, cat woman was raking in my hard earned pounds.

Let me add that this isn't about the money, but the principle. I'd quite happily get a refund and donate it to charity.

From what Ive read they have to train in this to be able to give treatment. Did she have a clinic elsewhere? or advertise in some way? Could be worthwhile finding out how she is so called qualified and how did she think it would help down the phone?

She'll probably be doing this to other vulnerable people, I would hope the police would take a look, she might be known to them. You could get a list of all payments to her for the police.

Would the vets practice who said what the cat died of give an written opinion as to how this treatment was a waste of time and couldnt work, then take her to court.

She doesn't appear on the register, but I doubt that holds any water.

Under the Vet Act of 1966, you're not supposed to make medical diagnosis or give advice on such, including any diagnosis made by a qualified vet, unless you are a qualified vet.

Secondary to this, Reiki healers are supposed to keep details of findings and advice given. These two are going to be in contrast to eachother.

If this is about the principle, not just the money, you want to stop the charlatan, once and for all.

Does the healer advertise? The legality of it depends on the way that the trade is conducted, if it counts as a consumer transaction for instance.

She is a member of foundation that was slammed by the ASA twice previously for misleading people, but that foundation centres around healing on humans, on site.

This is remote healing for an animal. It's word of mouth, my wife was introduced to her by a friend. I'm not sure what she would even describe it as (what she was doing). Reiki? Healing?

All I know is that she was making out that she was finding ailments, healing them, tell my wife what the cat was thinking, telling her that the cat doesn't trust the vet and doesn't want that vet to work on her.... all from over 30 miles away.

I fear that if you sued, a judge would reckon it served you right for being so daft. Author of you your own misfortune, so to speak.

Is there perhaps an organised body of vets, to assist with enquiries?

Otherwise your best bet could be to recoup by selling the story to a suitable periodical.

• 1 month later...

I takes alot to make me laugh on a Monday morning.

BUMPing this thread as it is funny.

I do not wish to sound unsympathetic, but this forum rarely makes me laugh.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Similar story here James:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/256741-refund-distance-healer.html

I wonder if it's the same person ??

The advice on that thread holds good.

Lex

(Tx loopinloule)

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hey I do have a brain :), I am always moaning about my bad memory, but couldnt help remembering that one;)xxx

It does sort of stick in your mind doesn't it !!

xxx

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i will admitt l have been laffing. How this 'Healer' has been mamaging to heal from a distact of 30 miles away is amazing.

what progress have u made towards this?

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Wrote an e-mail to consumer direct with full details, they forwarded it to Trading Standards because of "potential criminal implications".

Trading Standards called me the same day, but I missed the call and they left a voicemail. I haven't returned their call to date due to various legal threats from the "healer".

I might add that the "healer" in question now has a new website and on it, she claims to have previously cured cancer. This is a big no-no.

NB. I had started another thread on this using another account due to my having temporarily lost access to my e-mail account. It's back now, so this is the only thread I will update.

Edited by James31

Come on people lets not humiliate the OP more than he already is if you find it funny then please keep that to yourselves.

The OP has come here for assistance which is what this site is for so lets just give that assistance.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.