Garage for Insurance Company have damaged my car

AVE1965
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My car was recently hit from behind and the Insurance Company sent it to their garage. Last night it came back with a dent in the wing (which was perfectly okay before it went in) and it was also really dirty. They have no explanation of how it happened although they have admited it was their fault. Also, when the driver came to pick it up he had no trade plates with him - was he insured to drive it?

I would like to know what claim I can make against the garage for (a) the car being damaged in their care and (b) what action I can take if the driver who collected the car was not insured.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

for (a) I would suggest writing to the garage asking them to repair the damage at their cost, or at their option, you can take it elsewhere and send them the bill. I know you probably don't want it back in their hands, but it's probably a reasonable initial approach.

as for (b) you'll probably find that the garage has insurance for any of their employees to drive cars that they're repairing. You could ask them for evidence of this, but I can't think why they'd ever comply with this. Basically, if they smashed up your car while they were driving it, they'd have to replace it. If they're driving illegally, that's their problem and not yours. :-)

edinburghbeerbucket :D

Guest ian cognito

I agree, the garage should carry out a full repair to their damage at no cost, tell them you also want a full valet thrown in as compensation for your inconvenience. The insurance company will send you a questionnaire regarding the performance of the garage so make sure you give them the facts (don't thtink it makes much difference tho as the garages pay to be on the insurance 'approved lists')

It is also worth noting that you do not have to send your car to an insurance approved repairer, althought you will not be guarenteed a courtesy car, I always send mine into a Honda franchised repairer and negotiate a courtesy car when booking it in. (not that I have a lot of accidents - honest!!)

It's always worth remembering to stay calm and pleasant when complaining, no matter how mad you may feel, it'll get you a lot further.