style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya

I recently moved into a flat and there's been a fair amount of mail for the previous owner, which has all been forwarded on (though only in batches a few weeks at a time).

Got home today to find a hand-posted letter addressed to the old owner from some bailiffs acting for TfL dated a few days ago. Doesn't say how much for, but I guess it looks genuine, and they are threatening to "remove goods".

I don't live here during the week, only my girlfriend and house mate do, and I definitely don't want them having to deal with any of these kind of people. What's the preferred way to deal with this? Should I contact TfL or the bailiffs directly to let them know they're harrassing the wrong people? I have a forwarding address but think it would be better not to give it out. I've dealt with debt collectors before but understand that bailiffs are a slightly different kettle of fish.

I actually owe some money elsewhere so would prefer to avoid getting my name onto any of these ar$eholes' databases.

Simply return the letter as "not known at this address" You can send them a letter if you choose, but you are under no obligation to provide them witrh either the debtors address, not your own identity, if one does turn up, showing a driving licence or similar will be sufficient to see them off

You would be better giving some details, even if they are those of your girlfriend (tenancy agreement / utility bill etc).

Sending the letter back 'not known at this address' will not stop any action by the bailiffs. They should continue to visit until you have proved that the debtor has moved.

A letter from your landlord/letting agency is another option.

Hiya

I recently moved into a flat and there's been a fair amount of mail for the previous owner, which has all been forwarded on (though only in batches a few weeks at a time).

Got home today to find a hand-posted letter addressed to the old owner from some bailiffs acting for TfL dated a few days ago. Doesn't say how much for, but I guess it looks genuine, and they are threatening to "remove goods".

I don't live here during the week, only my girlfriend and house mate do, and I definitely don't want them having to deal with any of these kind of people. What's the preferred way to deal with this? Should I contact TfL or the bailiffs directly to let them know they're harrassing the wrong people? I have a forwarding address but think it would be better not to give it out. I've dealt with debt collectors before but understand that bailiffs are a slightly different kettle of fish.

I actually owe some money elsewhere so would prefer to avoid getting my name onto any of these ar$eholes' databases.

Personally, I do find that TfL are pretty good with matters such as this.

Your best bet would be to ring CCLondon on the following number;

0845 900 1234.

If the parking charge notice begins with "GF or GT" you will need 0845 603 4545

Personally, I do find that TfL are pretty good with matters such as this.

Your best bet would be to ring CCLondon on the following number;

0845 900 1234.

If the parking charge notice begins with "GF or GT" you will need 0845 603 4545

TfL said there's nothing they can do (which annoyed me!) and I need to prove who I am to the bailiff. Do I really need to?

I told the TfL woman that if the bailiff continued to call I would file a complaint for harrassment.

In my view you would be better off not treating the bailiff as your adversary. They are trying to find someone else who owes money, and are attempting to track them down. Nothing for you to be worried about.

Best thing to do is send them a polite letter explaining that (whoever) does not live there now. You moved in on such-and-such a date. Send a photocopy of the current council tax bill at that address. In the event they knock on the door, have the council tax bill handy to show again.

If you try and fight it out with them, they will only suspect you are trying to cover something up, and will push harder. Just tell them what they need to know. There will be no comeback on you, as it's not your debt.