Laptop - out of warranty repair

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Son's Laptop, a HP6830s, will not power up with either the battery or the Power Adapter. Its just dead. So what to do?

The Laptop was purchased as a Christmas present in Dec'08, so has been used for exactly fourteen months today. Hence it is out of its warranty but isn't it covered by the sale of goods act and if so how do I use this to persuade the supplier to repair it free of charge?

Hi Dan, firstly, do any lights appear, when you attempt to start the laptop up?

Can you be sure the actual adapter is fully working, and has put a charge into the battery?

If you can get back to us with these answers, then I'll put my thinking cap on, and see what else it could be.

thanks, be safe jgg :)

Thanks for getting back to me jgg.

In answer to your questions, firstly, no lights come on at all when the power button is pressed, the box makes no noise, no fans move nothing happens. Secondly, the power adapter output is measures 19v on my voltmeter which is what it should be according to the rating label on the adapter. For your info, normally when the adapter is plugged into the laptop, a blue light is illuminated around the plug, but now this illuminates for only a split second.

The laptop hasnt worked since this morning, when it was turned on and started to POST, after a few seconds it made an unusual fizzle sound then stopped and refused to power on again. I've removed various components, hard drive, ram, battery, dvd drive etc etc and it still wont post. I believe it to be an inherent fault that requires technical intervention, but im open to suggestions.

My concern is, if I have to return it for repair, considering its only 14 months old should the repair be foc, can I claim under 'sale of goods act' or will I be charged for this?

Thanks dan

Hi Re repair Depends where where you got it from! The likes of Comet charge about £30 for an engineers? report!

Have you a local computer shop where they do repairs? We have two very good ones where I live. Might be cheaper than going back to where you got the laptop from.

Thanks for the info Big_Brother! but I'm going to try going through the SoGA route. These companies, in this instance Misco, are willing to take our money and run and whereas I understand that they're not benevolent societies they nevertheless have to accept some responsibility for the products that they sell that do not perform as expected and if they end up out of pocket then they have to address it with the manufacturer!

Dan