Trouble with Scottish Power / British Gas

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into a new house in September, told British Gas I wanted them to supply gas and electric at the address, they said fine we will start supplying you on October 10th.

Scottish Power (the previous supplier) sent us a few bills which were addressed to the letting agent (I had told British Gas the name of the agent when I filled in the home moving form, so BG had obviously told SP to expect a change). We gave the letters to the agent who returned them several weeks later (after October 10th!) telling us we had to pay the gas and electric, which I had no problem with.

I then chased British Gas about our bills as I hadn't had a final bill from the old address and nothing to confirm they'd set up a new account for the new address and was told the move was on hold as we owed Scottish Power. So I paid SP and expected things to move from there as the guy at BG said things would just kick in once the SP bills were paid. Got new Scottish Power bills on Friday, £500+ just for gas for 3 months, would've been £150+ less if BG had made the switch correctly and put me on their web dual fuel tarrif. Is there anyway I can get SP or BG to refund me the difference? Or do I just have to pay up and hope BG move the account before the next bill arrives?

A newbuild yet again !!

a) you have a phone contract with British Gas as from October 10th. Ask BG for a transcript of the phone call.

b) you have deemed contract with Scottish Power from the time you first used fuel in the premises to Oct 9th.

c) Pay to each company what is due according to their contracts You may have to agree with the letting agent what the start readings were and make a reasonable estimate of the readings on October 9th.

d) Do not be deflected from this because

i) you or the letting agent have not informed SP of the chamge of occupancy. Who says you should?

ii) That you must give a period of notice to SP before you can change suppliers. You have seen no contract

iii) the changeover has not been done according to the 'rules'

If SP make a fuss ask for a copy of the contract (and Ts & Cs). It will not be signed by you but you cannot be held to a contract you have not seen deemed or not.

The rules that two utilities are supposed to adhere to when a change in supplier is requested has nothing to do with you. This problem should be sorted between them and it must not cost you.

first have you notifed Scottish Power of a change of Tennacy? Check the start date of the account and make sure it matches the date you moved in. This may of caused the problem with the switch over if the letting agents as you said were the previous account holders had not paid the bill and it was outstanding by over 28 days.

If there was nothing to prevent the switch over, such as outstandingbill or a contract that was in place with the old customer contact MPAS and check if a request to change supplier was made by BG. If it was not then BG have failed to complete the transfer request and you can likely bring this to court or with the ombudsman.

As for a refund from either supplier I don't know if this is possible but find out where the fault exactly lies and chase the failing party.