Allied International Credit - Scottish citizen living in USA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just received another nasty phone call from "Allied International Credit" a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, I didn't hear the phone ring, and it went straight to my voicemail. I would just like to say thanks to this forum because I actually enjoyed listening to the message whereas it would have totally freaked me out before.

Here's a transcript of what was said to me so that other UK citizens being chased for debt in the US will realize what sort of tactics these shysters will use. Notice how he speaks about a "final message". I don't know how many "final messages" I've received on my voicemail/in my mailbox! Ha ha! I also love the part when he says the expense is expensive!

"This is a final message for the attention of Ms. So-and-So. Now, Ms. So-and-So, it's your choice obviously whether you wish to respond to this message or not. It doesn't make any difference to me particular [sic]. The contact number here is 0044 141 228 3093. Your reference is *******. Just a little reminder, Ms. So-and-So, that we have actually three offices in the States, and, eh, if you fail to respond to this message, to get this matter resolved with us here in the UK, then we'll be looking to transfer this to our representatives closer to yourself. They can now take any action that is required to resolve this matter without your cooperation. What I'd like to add on that note, Ms So-and-So, is that the expense that's incurred for any file leaving this office to be transferred overseas is expensive! And it's not paid for by ourselves, it's certainly not paid for by my client, so I can give you a wee guess as to who foots that bill, Ms. So-and-So. So you know, you either respond to this message, resolve the matter yourself, or we take whatever action we feel fit fit as an international organization in order to resolve the matter without your cooperation. Now, you have a nice day".

Yes it will be.... for them. There's a little thing called the Data Protection Act which he is conveniently forgetting about. :rolleyes:

Huh, never thought about that!

What I just don't understand is how it's legal for them to call people up and come up with whatever lie sounds good to them at the time to frighten people into paying.

Ensure you keep that tape very, very safe.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Huh, never thought about that!

What I just don't understand is how it's legal for them to call people up and come up with whatever lie sounds good to them at the time to frighten people into paying.

They rely on the fact that the majority of people they intimidate do not know the law or their rights. Besides, the people they employ are not the brightest of bulbs on the Xmas tree & all they are concerned about is hitting 'targets' and getting their bonuses. At the end of the day it's their job on the line if they don't collect enough revenue.

What Cupid Stunts to put that drivel on tape. They have given you a big stick with which to beat them very severely with. I would make a formal complaint to TS and the OFT in the UK about them enclosing a transcript of their threatening phone call. IMHO the nonsense they have kindly recorded is a serios breach of CPUTR 2008.

Do not waste your time with a CCA request but instead just go for the jugular and nip this in the bud right now.

Don't forget to send the terminally inept AIC a formal complaint, too. They won't send any sort of meaningful response, thus providing further evidence of their non-compliant behaviour.

I agree with ODC that the phone message is a clear breach of CPUTR, OFT Guidance and (for what it's worth) the CSA Code of Practice.

Whilst you are waiting for them to reply, why not research ways of dealing with AIC's US mates? Here seems a good place to start...

• 2 weeks later...

The letter said:

Dear Ms So-and-So

FINAL NOTICE

You are advised that Allied International Credit (UK) Limited (AIC) are preparing the above account for transfer to our Legal representatives in your country. The additional costs involved in this process will increase the above outstanding balance.

In order to prevent this, you need to contact us on the telephone number below immediately.

MR M CATTERSON

(Debt Collection Department)

Hi there - I have been reading with interest, we are living permantley in NZ! If its any comfort We received the EXACT SAME WORDED letter about 2-3 months ago.. and so far nothing has happened...

I did however, forget to turn the ringer on the phone off here last night and an indian girl got through, just pretended I couldnt hear her... "hello, Hello"!

Edited by Taormina
wanted to add OFF

There is no treaty between the USA & The uk for debt collection, anyone they try and get to do it in the usa is a chancer/interloper and should be told where to go ( canada, germany & Aus do have treaties however)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]....Please don't bother my master 'cos my sister & I might bite you...

I DO NOT offer legal advice

-

"I just say what I say because everyone is entitled to my opinion!"

• 1 month later...

What's a Scottish citizen? Is this correct? I had thought one could be a Scottish domiciled person for capital taxation purposes, sucession law etc but not that there was a Scottish citizenship. Is this the case then post-Devolution?

Mozzone

Taking on the bloodsuckers