ISP changing my package

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5220 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

MrMT - sorry, but I think I am missing your point.

The vast majority of what you say is absolutely correct.

However, by them writing to you you are NOT accepting a new contract. They are OFFERING you a new contract which you may accept - or indeed may turn down.

I dont quite get your argument.

PS - they cant supply you a product or service that they can no longer acquire.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

OK so I decided to take the bull by the horns and phone Pipex but I asked them for a MAC code. The guy asked why I wanted to leave them and I said because I had received a price increase notification. He then offer me two months free (rather than the 2 months half price in the letter). So straight away this is only £10 a year more from an ISP with whom I am perfectly happy with.

Anyway the MAC code will be with me within 5 days which gives me time to shop around. I may well remain with Pipex as their service is fine for me and better the devil you know....If I do decide to remain with them I may see if I can screw another free month before signing up for another year.

So MrMT I would suggest that you give their customer services a ring ( the call charge is only 5p a min) 0871 6633300 and press option 4 requesting a MAC code. Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

I fear it won't unfold as you say MrShed and that I'll simply be transferred to the new package and billed accordingly. Only when it (whatever is really planned) happens will I be in a position to decide my next best move.

geoff1248, I think you'll find most providers try to bribe customers not to leave once they ask for the MAC code. 2 months free is not an incentive to me and certainly not worth signing a new 12 month contract for which brings a 50% price hike.

I'm still waiting for my free internet for all from Mr T. Blair, anyone know when I'll get it?:p

I fear it won't unfold as you say MrShed and that I'll simply be transferred to the new package and billed accordingly. Only when it (whatever is really planned) happens will I be in a position to decide my next best move.

Absolutely - if you dont refuse the contract, it will.

therefore, it will exactly unfold as I say.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

In this case I was perfectly happy to accept a bribe.

Like you I was thinking of waiting to see what my March DD said but I figured that by that time I could well have been tied to the new contract. OK so I could have argued the toss with them after the event but then I still can.

MrMT get a MAC code from them now and you are then in a much better position to move before the end of March. Remember that it takes 5 days for them to send you a MAC code and around 2 weeks for a new ISP to change you over.

Coincidentally, I got an unsolicited email today advertising Orange Mobile's broadband offer and it works out about the same price I'm currently paying for a slightly better service!

As a result, I called Pipex CS to first comfirm the letter is contradicting itself about the "do nothing to keep existing service" and more interestingly I was told the reason for the price hike was to bring us Pipex customers inline with the Tiscali customers who obviously pay more and aren't happy we pay less. This is quite different to the excuse I was given previously by the retentions dept - that the price rise was due to BT upping their wholesale prices.

So, I've now requested my MAC code and will be joining Orange next month unless I can find an even better deal in the meantime.

Funny how I have to keep changing providers in order to keep within my budget. Ditto for my car insurance - every year my renewal is substantially more than fresh quotes. ie I just paid £140 when my previous insurers wanted £209.

I do exactly the same with my car insurance, different company every year.

I wish you luck with your Orange BB change and would suggest that you google "orange broadband problems" before you make the final jump.

Because of my location/exchange BT and Pipex can give me 6megs max, Orange however only say that they can give me 5megs. max. I actually receive between 4.5 and 5 megs regularly with no noticeable throttling at peak times.

As I said before you make the final decision get back onto Pipex and tell them what Orange are offering and see if they can match it. You've nothing to loose especially if your only beef with Pipex is about price.

Thanks for the advice Geoff and yes, I should have "researched" orange before I make a final decision but with the internet, you can find unhappy customers for just about any service. Finding an accurate, up to date and balanced review of a service is nigh on impossible IMHO. Finding one for evolving comms companies? What chance?

Initial research shows the complaints are mostly about Orange Customer Service but that's common across the board since the call-centre outsourcing became big business in India.

I would be happy with 4Mb as that's the fastest I've ever got from ADSL anyway.

My method is try if for myself and if they don't give me the service I'm paying for, I won't pay them anymore. I believe I'm protected in law against unfair contracts no matter how long the term.

My method is try if for myself and if they don't give me the service I'm paying for, I won't pay them anymore. I believe I'm protected in law against unfair contracts no matter how long the term.

Nice in theory, not so easy in practice.

Orange are horrendous.

In my line of work I deal with a LOT of different ISPs. Orange are the worst by quite some way - even worse than Virgin Media.

As you correctly observed MrMT unfavourable comments about Orange relate to their Customer Services (a misnoma if ever there was one) however people don't ring customer services if everything is going fine.

I also think that you are being a bit nieve if you think that you can just stop paying if you don't get the service you think you have signed up for. Quite a few people on this site tried that route only to find that the ISP cut off their internet connection and refused to release a MAC code while the account was in dispute.

It is indeed very difficult to find out which ISP is best in your particular area. Now a little suggestion or two:

1. if you have a wireless network scan for other networks and see what your neighbours are using. That's usually a good useful indication.

2. have a word with one of your neighbours and see if you can piggyback their connection if you split the cost with them. I've got quite a few friends who have followed this route with no problems.

Ulitmately it's up to you we can only give advise. Good luck

Well, well, look what junk mail brought me today - an advertisment from Talk Talk who seem to be offering an identical deal to Orange's latest - BB for £6.99 + Line Rental (£11.45).... and their free calls include 0845 & 0870 numbers which I don't believe Pipex Homecall do. AND their customer support number is free.

Seems the competition is getting stiffer and Pipex were lying through their teeth - they're worried about the Churn Rate as people will leave to get a cheaper deal. A new 12-month contract would certainly stop customers leaving, wouldn't it? Makes me wonder if even cheaper deals are forthcoming in the next few months...

No doubt there'll be bad reviews about Talk Talk too but as I say, I believe in the "suck it and see" approach rather relying on internet complaints as, having been an IT pro myself, know only too well most IT problems lie between the desk and the chair. :p

It also helps me as I never need technical support to tell me how to make sure it's not my own equipment causing the problem.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions, every bit of info helps though I can't agree Virgin Media have a poor record. I used their PAYG for several years followed by their ADSL for 2 years and I can't fault them. My sister's been an ADSL customer for about four years and she's only had one issue with email not working one day (they were migrating their servers I think).

My Dad's been an ADSL customer for just as long and never had a problem (and he can create problems out of thin air!!) and is now a cable customer who I admit, has recently complained about a half-days outage to his TV service (but didn't compliment them for compensating him with the equivalent of two weeks free subscription).

As you say, probably an even better offer next month, then the month after ....

On reading this Talk Talk offer I notice that there is a download limit of 40gigs which may, or may not be important to you.

The inclusive 0870/0845 numbers I think you will find are limited to evening and weekends which is great if your local council offices etc. are open at weekends. The free tech support is only of use if you have problems.

Finally it's an 18 month contract and on that basis alone I wouldn't even think about it. Prices are only going to come down as competition increases so why tie yourself up for 18 months?

As I keep saying give Pipex a ring and see what you can screw out of them.

Hi Geoff, I chose pipex mini which has a 30gig limit with extra charges per 10gig over and it's suited me fine so a 40gig limit shouldn't be a problem for my use. To be honest, I don't use the landline much anyway, not sure why I mentioned the call costs and no, I have no need for tech support.

While I don't like to be tied into any lengthy contract (who does?), I've no real choice in the matter. You say you wouldn't entertain 18 months yet aren't you signing up to a new 12-month contract with Pipex's new package? There's no difference in my book as it's the first few months that really count IMO.

I did contact Pipex CS to query their letter's contradictions and got clarification that it is misleading. I was told they've had many calls about that - no surprise there. When I asked for my MAC code, I wasn't offered any discounts or sweeteners to stay probably because I'd made it clear I'm not willing to accept the new price and unless I can remain at the current price, nothing will convince me to stay.

I've now got my MAC code and will be watching/researching my options closely in the next few weeks.

Good luck with your new package.