Barclaycard debt: Non UK resident.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

......So write brief, focused letters and don't expect them to respond properly to them. Correct their mistakes, lies, whatevers......

Don't let them get you down. :D

Hi slick, thanks.

Are you suggesting that I should write a clarifying letter, albeit brief???

To be honest, 'getting us down' is a real under statement. Perhaps my personality, but I feel physically ill with all this :(

Weber, IMHO, you only need to send off the SAR . Thats if you want to contest their charges. But remember, this is correspondence. If youre not planning on returning to UK, all they are doing is threatening you and causing you stress.

Let the Statute Barred clock start ticking.

You have proof that you tried to resolve this issue, you also have proof that they know your address in Spain, so any court application would have to be showing your address in Spain, at which point any reasonable judge would kick them out of the court room.

If the obtain a CCJ in the UK, so what? In the unlikely event you return to the UK to live, and in the unlikely event they catch up with you , you get it set aside.

Please try to understand how Mercers, rma etc work. its all threats, with a bit of legalese chucked in to make them look all powerful.

they have only the power that you allow them.

Belive me, Ive been there and tried all the stuff youve been banging your head against a wall with. In the end, you'll realise that youve probably overpaid what they claim you owe in charges and extra interest.

They really are not worth wasting postage on.

Enjoy your life.

Further to Bazaar's comments above, do you have any intention of returning to the UK in the foreseeable future.

When a bank like BC show such total disregard for your rights and circumstances, you have to consider all options open to you. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi bazaar, slick, all,

bazaar... thanks very much for your advice. I've taken your reply as a kind of 'put me in my place', 'get a grip on reality' dig... all in a nice way and probably much needed and appreciated with no offence taken.

As soon as we find a way to get the 10gbp to them we will send the SAR, even if only to establish what charges there have been and what implications that could have on the outstanding debt.

Apologies to everyone if I seem pedantic, I'm really not used to this and I'm somewhat (a lot actually) scared of getting it wrong. Also, and as is probably to be expected from such a busy forum, I have read many threads that sometimes link to other threads, then more threads and some seem to be a little contradictory, or some out of date/superceded at times.

As mentioned from the outset, neither my wife or myself had any intention to default, but now the treatment and lies we have received are turning us bitter to the point that we could well sit out the 6 year statute. All I would like to do before it gets to that situation is have everything that has or hasn't been said/done placed on record. I also wanted to try to point out/record (if possible) to Barclaycard and their agents where they are acting outside of legislation etc. I've seen some threads that say (in part reference) this is a good idea and I guess it is a personality/method trait I have... it seems I'm wrong.

All that said, I ask for advice on the forum and I respect and do follow the advice given... a bonus from this forum is I don't feel as alone and isolated as I once did, so sincere thanks to everyone who helps and chimes in.

@ slick, as mentioned earlier, we have not been back to the UK for ten+ years and can't foresee any future reason to.

Hi Weber,

@ slick, as mentioned earlier, we have not been back to the UK for ten+ years and can't foresee any future reason to.

....... in which case, I think you should make your mind up and either:-

1. Send the SAR and continue to correspond with BC with a view to paying off the debt as and when you can.

2. Accept that you will never get them to behave or correspond reasonably and leave them to fester in their own juices, safe in the knowledge that they'll get bored writing and getting no reply. They will then, probably, just leave you alone.

:)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Weber,

....... in which case, I think you should make your mind up and either:-

1. Send the SAR and continue to correspond with BC with a view to paying off the debt as and when you can.

2. Accept that you will never get them to behave or correspond reasonably and leave them to fester in their own juices, safe in the knowledge that they'll get bored writing and getting no reply. They will then, probably, just leave you alone.

Weber, just my two penneth, I always enjoy a good number 2 ;)

Thanks slick and bazaar

Perfectly understand, but can I clear up one last thing (sorry):-

Are 1 & 2 exclusive? ie: if I try the SAR as a last attempt to see if they will communicate properly, would this not be an option to see how much (if any) of the debt can be legally reduced (charges etc). If they still don't play ball with the SAR, could I not then move to option 2?

In short, would first trying option 1, prevent me moving to option 2 if absolutely necessary?

Perhaps you think I'm being stupid and I assume that option 1 would add another 40 days or so to the start of a statute time limit, but I'd like to give them every chance to come to an amicable solution.

You both made me laugh, slick with your way of putting option 2 and bazaar with your tu'pence worth :) ... I needed a chuckle.

Edited by Weber
spelling

1 & 2 are both the options you have, but they wont be taking you to court in the UK, they cant possibly. The SAR will cost you 10 quid, it will give you info on what theyve charged you. This would be useful if you wanted to make a counterclaim in court, which wont happen.

I fully appreciate that you want to clear this up amicably, but have Barclays acted in that way towards you?

For what its worth, I would indulge myself with 10 quids worth of fine Spanish wine and enjoy the guilty pleasure.

Hi bazaar,

Thank you very much.

I've read and re-read my own thread as well as many others and along with your comments about the treatment my wife has had from Barclaycard, I'm starting to agree. We do have copies of all the documents, proving my wife has tried, so why keep beating ourselves up about... I think the penny has dropped!

If they come up with anything amicable in the future we will consider it carefully, getting advice here first (before taking a risk on resetting the statute limit). Failing that we'll ignore them, unless we win the lottery.

I suppose my wife could always get into the UK if needed, seeing as she holds dual nationality and could creep in with her non-UK passport.

I suppose the downside is if they manage to create a bad credit reference with any Spanish agencies.

10 quid's worth of Spanish wine would probably result in me wanting to come over and do unspeakable things to BC and their agents... hmmm where's that bottle :rolleyes:

Thanks bazaar.

Hi Weber,

Looks to me like you should send the SAR and do whatever else you need, so you KNOW that you've tried all you can to settle the debt through reasonable arrangements.

Then, if you find BC will not negotiate and help you pay the debt in a way you can afford, go for No 2 !! ;)

On reflection, I should have called them Plans A and B. :D

Hi again Weber,

My post above was, of course, made before I read your earlier one.

I don't think your Spanish credit rating would be affected by this matter.

Hi there,

I´ve just joined the forum.....and how amazing is it?? Absolutely wonderful! Felt compelled to comment about your concerns on visiting the UK. We left the UK and moved to Spain in August 2004, without giving a forwarding address. We owe 6,000 GBP to Lloyds credit card and a Lloyds personal overdraft of 3,000 GBP. I have visited the UK 3 times since we have lived in Spain and my husband has just returned from his 1st visit to the UK since we arrived here.....and we weren´t stopped and hand cuffed on arrival at Gatwick! Please forgive me if I´ve misinterpreted your concern. Please don´t worry, you seem so upset and it makes me really angry because you have tried so hard to sort things out. Keep your chin up!:D