Cash Generator ~ Faulty Nintendo DS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I brought DD1 an old style nintendo DS from the local cash generator for xmas back in November, i paid £40 for it.

Now although i checked to make sure the games i brought worked in it i didnt actually play the games to check the ds itself

The screen needs replacing the calibration is completly out and it wont recalibrate no matter how many times i follow the dots!

I paid for it on my visa debit card but i cant find the receipt anywhere :-x (at myself btw!)

I rang cash generator and they have said without the receipt there is nothing they can do about it as they cant prove that the ds was what i brought with my bank statement. They have said if i can find the receipt then they will be quite happy to replace it and if they dont have one then they will try and get one from another of their stores for me.

Do i have any rights or am i better off just biting the bullet and paying for the screen to be replaced? :idea:

Welcome to the forum Princess, sorry to hear of your missfortune with this issue. Sorry I am not sure of an answer for you but I am sure somone will be along soon that knows were you stand with this. Whilst waiting please take some time to read around the forum and if you feel you can help anyone else jump right in as that is what it is all about consumers helping other consumers based on their own experiences. . .

did you have anyone with you at the time, also do you remember the person who sold it to you and do you think they may (slim chance) remember you . .

Somtimes it is better going in person and speaking to the manager than phoning . .

Welcome to the forum Princess, sorry to hear of your missfortune with this issue. Sorry I am not sure of an answer for you but I am sure somone will be along soon that knows were you stand with this. Whilst waiting please take some time to read around the forum and if you feel you can help anyone else jump right in as that is what it is all about consumers helping other consumers based on their own experiences. . .

did you have anyone with you at the time, also do you remember the person who sold it to you and do you think they may (slim chance) remember you . .

Somtimes it is better going in person and speaking to the manager than phoning . .

Hi ozzywizard thanks for your reply :)

Only person that was with me at the time was my 3 year old im not sure she will be much help on this one :razz:

All i can remember was that it was a woman that sold it to me, however i do remember that the day that i brought it their tills were not printing receipts and it was a handwritten receipt that i was given, it had very little information on it and most definatly didnt have any serial numbers or such like on there.

The main reason that i phoned them rather than going down there was that i didnt really want a wasted journey if i knew i wasnt going to get anywhere im due to give birth in 6 days time so trying to leave the house only when i have to especially in this weather!

I would have thought that places like this would keep a record of what they had brought and sold on certain days :confused: Where the shop is situated although it is in town it isnt in the main town centre and doesnt get anywhere near the amount of business as what their rivals such as cash convertors do, so i cant imagine that they would have sold many items on that day i brought the ds especially not amounting to exactly £40, so i wouldnt have thought it would be to difficult for them to locate it on their systems :confused:

use chargeback on your credit card

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have just got off the phone to natwest who are saying that because it was a face to face transaction and i took the goods away from the shop that i agreed to buy it in the condition that it was in? Despite the fact the fault wasnt visible in the shop! They are saying there is nothing more they can do and i should contact trading standards!

Help please! :sad:

Did you speak to the person who sold it to you? If you return to the shop, will you be able to see the person who sold it to you.

The regulations (Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumer Regulation 2002) say "a retailer is entitled to satisfy himself that the product was purchased at his store"

If you can show that in any way, then a receipt is not required. Your bank statement should show where it was used and not just how much was drawn, so that is satisfactory in the eyes of the regulations.

Don't listen to NastyWest, they are one of the rip-off companies that have no interest in customers except parting them from their hard earned and certainly have no authority on consumer regulations. They don't even abide by them themselves.

Edited by Conniff
Added information.

Im not sure who it was i spoke to tbh.

I think going down there is going to be the best option, however it may have to wait a few days i have been having contractions since the early hours! :-o:lol:

Will let you know how i get on when i go down there thanks for all your help :)

28 days exchange? Where's that from?

Anyways, whilst the goods were purchased on the basis of being second hand, those goods should still be of a satisfactory quality relevant to the price paid. The calibration / screen fault is therefore a breach of contract as it is unreasonable to expect the fault to be found before purchase.

As someone posted above any form of proof of purchase is enough as you only need to satisfy that a contract exists, and that they are in breach of said contract.

With regards to a charge back with the bank, regardless of it being on a credit card or not its under £100 so not covered

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Right i phoned them up this morning and spoke with the manager who has agreed that my bank statement is enough, however they dont have anymore and nor do their other store.

They have offered for me to hang on to the ds until they get another one in or give me a credit note.

Which im pretty sure cant be right as it is faulty, but im going to see if i can get another one for £40 before going there from somewhere else (have tried ringing but they aint answering the phone! typical!) and then use the credit note to get some more games for them which they apparently have loads in.

Wish me luck, hoping the walk there might convince this baby to get a move on too!