Cancelled direct debit- Payment still taken.

dori2o
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I cancelled a direct debit last week following a dispute with the company it was being paid to.

The Direct debit was cancelled 3 days before the payment was due via my online service. however, on checking my online statement today I notice the payment has been taken from my bank.

What should I do?

GE Money S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 21/11/06. Responded 01/12/06. Prelim sent 05/12/06 £406. Response 12/12/06- **SETTLED IN FULL** (£396)

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 05/12/06. NO charges in last 6 years.

Lowell CCA issued 21/11/06. Further reminder sent 8/12/06. Now commited criminal offence no response.

Capital One S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 Responded 03/01/07-Prelim Sent 16/01/07. LBA issued 06/02/07- N1 served 07/03/07- acknowledged 14/03/07.

Scotcall CCA issued 16/01/07. Criminal offence committed.

HFC Prelim sent 16/01/07. LBA sent- Final Correspondance issued with time limit of 29/03/07.

Contact your bank - under the Direct Debit guarantee, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi,

If the Direct Debit has not been cancelled in accordance with your instruction and a further Direct Debit payment has been taken you are entitled to an immediate refund of the amount debited from your bank under the Direct Debit Guarantee. Either contact your bank by phone or write to them.

Dear ............,

Account number:

Sort Code:

Company Name: [name of organisation taking the Direct Debit]

Reference: [insert the Direct Debit reference from your bank statement]

Amount: [insert amount taken]

Date: [insert date amount debited]

I wrote to you on [insert date of cancellation letter] instructing you to cancel the Direct Debit referred to above, effective from [insert date provided in original correspondence]. I note, however that a further payment has been deducted from my account after this date.

Under the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee, please re-credit my account accordingly. Please confirm in writing that this has been done, that the Direct Debit has now been cancelled and that no further funds will be taken from my account.

I have copied this letter to [insert organisation name] for their information.

Yours faithfully,

[signature]

Cc [insert organisation name]

You might have to edit to suit.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thank you both, i'll try phoning the bank first thing in the morning.

One further question, is there a minimum time limit on how long before the payment the DD should be cancelled? I'm sure I cancelled it approx 4 days before the payment. Is this stated in the DD Guarantee or does it differ from Bank to Bank.

GE Money S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 21/11/06. Responded 01/12/06. Prelim sent 05/12/06 £406. Response 12/12/06- **SETTLED IN FULL** (£396)

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 05/12/06. NO charges in last 6 years.

Lowell CCA issued 21/11/06. Further reminder sent 8/12/06. Now commited criminal offence no response.

Capital One S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 Responded 03/01/07-Prelim Sent 16/01/07. LBA issued 06/02/07- N1 served 07/03/07- acknowledged 14/03/07.

Scotcall CCA issued 16/01/07. Criminal offence committed.

HFC Prelim sent 16/01/07. LBA sent- Final Correspondance issued with time limit of 29/03/07.

All banks require at least a day’s notice before the Direct Debit is due to be paid and it is best to check how long your bank needs to do this as it could be as much as three days.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 1 month later...

"All banks require at least a day’s notice before the Direct Debit is due to be paid and it is best to check how long your bank needs to do this as it could be as much as three days."

Whilst this may be true personally I'd argue the point. The DD guarantee says you can cancel a direct debit at anytime. When I worked at Nationwide provided it was done prior to midnite then it was ok. I would always recommend cancelling it as early as possible though.

Did you incur any charges as a result of this? I have recently discovered there is more to the DD guarantee that just the little bit they send out to customers.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.