style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Myself and my flatmate recently moved into a new flat (rented). Within 48 hours we saw a rat in the kitchen that disappeared through the front of the base of the kitchen units (it was definitely a rat - not a mouse)

The flat is in a modern new build but was not in the cleanest state when we moved in so i would assume that the previous tenants were not particularly good at hygiene or cleaning which may have contributed to the problem.

does anyone know what my rights as a tenant are in terms of getting out of my contract if it turns out that the rat problem has been going on for a while but never fully dealt with before we moved in? The local council has no record of treatment ever being needed at the building but our estate agents have a pest control company that "deal with all the pest control issues" in the building. This is a bit worrying as the building is only a year old!

Any advice would be appreciated!

It was certainly not dirty. It just hadnt been cleaned to the standard that you'd expect when vacating a property i.e smudgy wipe marks on mirrors and kitchen surfaces, water marks still on shower screens etc. it was just a poor attempt at concealing previous tenants presence.