BT and McAfee at the end of my tether!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BT have changed their antivirus provider (included in my contract) to McAfee from Norton.

Norton did what I always thought it should do. It worked quietly in the background, occasioally did a scan that slowed things down a little but not much and told me I have no viruses. I didn't notice it.

McAfee :-x on the other hand, needs to download stuff 2 or 3 times a day, shouts at me if I come back from holiday for having ignored it (honestly, I spent a whole evening after a week away pandering to its damaged ego!) Slows down my computer every time I dare to use it with one of its interminable downloads, its scans render my PC unusablefor 4 hours, stops games that are timed every time, and last night stopped everything when I was chatting to my boyfriend online. I feel like it's not my PC anymore, that somehow I handed it to McAfee who let me use it at their convenience. And still it tells me every other night that I'm not protected. That's all I ask in return for all the hassle. Not much! (It's never yet found a virus so that's not the problem.)

I've posted to BT's forum about this (I was told to uninstall and reinstall, I remarked that I'm only prepared to do stage 1 of that process). Was advised to get a newer PC (Ha!) and I said at the time either BT get id of it or I'm walking at the end of my contract. Now I can't get in to my account on the forum.

Last night when it all froze during my chat was the final straw. I want out. I can't remember when I agreed to the year's extension. How can I find out and who at BT should I complain to?

uninstall it [either by its link or by CCleaner]

put on AVGFREE 9.0 and windows defender.

now, i think there is actually a link on the BTyahoo site to complain.

just dont ring if you dont like indians.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Or use Avast Home which is also free to home users.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I spoke to several very nice Indian call centre guys last night and on previous occasions and felt horrible for complaining. They were so nice and apologetic but couldn't help. I only wanted contact details to send a complaint. I've just used the complaints form on their website.

I'd be interested to hear ifanyone else here has had problems with McAfee. According to their forums ( can't currently get in) I'm not alone. Besides the response there is the same as the nice call centre guys they want to support it. I'm done with it.

It's just possible that you have Norton and McAfee on your PC at the same time.

Make sure you have completely uninstalled Norton.

Having said that, I would not use either of them!

Microsoft have just released a free and pretty good AV system: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ - I have it running on a few systems and it's working well so far.

If you want a paid for system, the best one currently in my opinion is Sunbelt Software's VIPER.

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

I'm running Security essentials (as linked by Alphageek) and i have no problems at all!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

As others have quite rightly said, you are best stripping out both Norton and McAfee and installing something that actually works properly.

Remember that your contract with BT has nothing to do with what you choose to install or not install on your computer. BT might recommend things, but that recommendation is motivated purely by a profitable business deal with McAfee; not because BT actually know the first thing about the system.

Privately I build a lot of PCs, and professionally I run the IT department of a national company. The chances of me allowing either Norton or McAfee near any of my systems are roughly the same as the chances of Iran holding a democratic election.

For anti-virus, AVG or Avast are both admirable programs, and available free. I personally go with AVG, although neither is really superior to the other; it's just which you feel more comfortable using.

Remember that you should also run a Firewall. For this, I can recommend either Commodo or Zonealarm, both of which have free editions.

I can't comment on Security Essentials as I've not played with it yet, but locutus knows what ze is talking about when it comes to PCs, so you can trust hir recommendation of it.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca