Advice needed on salary during/after probationary period pls

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Hope this is the right section to post in, apologies if not.

Can anyone help me with regards to the amount of salary my employment contract should state please.

Bit of a story but here goes:

I took on a week’s temporary work through a friend at the end of which two of the managers offered me a full-time job.

Before I took on this role I received a written statement of the details we discussed verbally (salary, working hours etc)

I started this job in July 09 and have just been given my employment contract to sign (fell between ‘two stools’ as the guy who does the wages put it)

Anyway, on the first written statement I have confirmation that my starting salary is £20,000 which will rise to £22,500 pa on successful completion of my 6 mth probationary period.

However, the contract I’ve been asked to sign states that my salary is £20,000 pa with no mention of the increase.

When I asked about this I was told that what I had been given was a day one contract and any increases or additional benefits would always be notified to me by way of a separate letter.

Also, my friend who works with me was given the same promise – now that her probationary period has expired she has been told that no pay increases are being authorised at the moment

so I am very wary of this happening to me as well.

If I sign the contract as it is am I effectively agreeing to the lower salary? Should I push to have the increase mentioned?

The guy that’s in charge of sorting out the wages, contracts etc was quite dismissive and offhand last time I asked about this so want to be armed with some proper information if I need to raise this again.

This is going round and round in my head and driving me mad now (plus I keep getting asked why I haven’t signed the contract yet) so any help you are able to give will be huuuugely appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Hi all,

Before I took on this role I received a written statement of the details we discussed verbally (salary, working hours etc)

I started this job in July 09 and have just been given my employment contract to sign (fell between ‘two stools’ as the guy who does the wages put it)

Anyway, on the first written statement I have confirmation that my starting salary is £20,000 which will rise to £22,500 pa on successful completion of my 6 mth probationary period.

However, the contract I’ve been asked to sign states that my salary is £20,000 pa with no mention of the increase.

I assume you still have the original written particulars/ statement.

What I would do is simply amend the contract to reflect exactly what your first written statement says (i.e. add the bit about the salary rising after 6 months probationary), initial the amendments, sign the contract , KEEP A COPY and return it to HR - let them then deal with the issue after that.

They will have to give you a good explanation if they want you to sign any other version of the contract.

Good luck

I am not a lawyer, so all my advice is provided on the basis that you will check them with a trained legal professional with legal insurance.:(