WelshTim vs CABOT

welshtim
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help? Yesterday I received a letter from Cabot Financial informing me that they will be calling me on a specific date in the future and that if it is inconvenient that I should call them.

This is the first contact that I have had from this company and I have no idea what this is in relation to. I have even checked my Credit Report which shows nothing untoward except a credit search by Cabot Financial over the last week. Having read a large number of posts in these forums relating to other users experiences of this company I would be grateful if someone could give me some direct advice as to what to do next? I am fearful of contacting them by phone although this may be the quickest way of resolving what the letter actually regards. Might it be better to keep everything to recorded delivery incase I experience similar issues to other users?

Your feedback is warmly welcomed in advance!

Guest Old_andrew2018

Dont telephone them or they will try to confuse and frighten you.

Should they telephone you, dont enter into any discussion or confirm any personal details simply tell them you will only communicate in writing.

Hiya and welcome to cag,

if you know nothing of this then you can send them this:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

would recommend to send it recorded

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Forget about telephone contact being a way to resolve anything.

You should never engage in telephone dialogue unless a) you are recording the call and b) you have a specific reason, defined in advance, for doing so.

I don't even agree with the advice to tell them "only in writing". As they will never take any notice of this, why tell them anything? The advice given in the BT Phone Book for dealing with nuisance callers is best - say nothing.

As for sending the "prove it" letter, it is probably premature at this stage. We can't see the letter you have been sent, but does it give any details of any alleged debt - balance, account number etc. If not, there is no point sending a "prove it" letter as they have stated nothing which needs proving. Any letter which does not state account details should be ignored.

If they have an account in mind, let them show it at the start. If not, let them waste their time and money. The phishing letters can always be retained and used in a complaint to the OFT in due course.

SH

PS Just seen oldandrew's post - Crapbot and other vermin always word these silly letters so it can be taken either way. They know that a certain percentage of people will be frightened by a doorstep visit and take the bait. As of now, I have seen no case where Crapbot have used doorstep harassment. This phishing letter should be ignored.

Hi All,

Thanks for your extremely quick responses. The letter that I received simply states a Cabot Reference Number and the following text:

Contacting you

We will be calling:

On xx November 2009

Between 8am and 9pm

Contacting Cabot

If this time is inconvenient, please call us on 08003289911

Signed by a Sam Wilson, Recoveries Manager

And that's it, no information on any debt, no account number (other than the one stated), not even a reason as to why they are calling! I am assuming that they are implying that they will visit my address as I haven't received a call from them and assume that they don't have a number for me but that of course is just me speculating!

Edited by welshtim
Typos

Hi,

'Calling' usually means a phone call, they're on a 'phishing' trip, I'd ignore for now, see what they hit you with next :rolleyes:

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Sounds like harassment to me. The Office of Fair Trading has guidance on fair dealing with creditors, and it states expressly that debt collects are not allowed to call without giving a specific reason why.

Lots of very helpful information on remedies is available here:

Debt Factsheets - Harassment of people in debt by creditors

Krikkie :cool:

Yes as MaroonDevo says, firmly ignore the losers. Just rand them and their answer phone message is extremely abrupt and very backward!!!

Cr@pbot are a bunch of clown's best left alone if at all possible.

Their extremely empty threat of giving you a visit is very easily dealt with, print off a copy of this; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/590-letter-used-when-a-dca-threatens-a-doorstep-visit-.html

And follow the CAG advice;

Give them the template letter linked below through the letterbox or chained door.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resour...ep-visit-.html

Tell them to leave as you have nothing to discuss and all communication must be in writing.

Tell them you will call the police if they don't leave immediately.

Remain calm and polite at all times.

Walk away from the door so the visitor cannot try and talk to you.

If they don't leave, call the police to report that you are being harassed and the visitor refuses to leave.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!