Dvla Fine For Clamped Car

ijegi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello people...... i'm gonna make this as brief as possible cos it's a bit of a long story.

A friend bought a car (as he usually does as he's into exports) and told me about it to which i showed interest. We agreed on a price and the modalities (as i am presently out of work and not earning at all). it took me well over a year to pay up. On the day he was to deliver the car to me, it was clamped. The release fee was paid and car released.

A letter by the DVLA was sent to my friends address in my name referring to the offence demanding an out of court settlement of £289. After this letter i only just realised he had used my name to purchase the car in the first place (since 2008)even though i had not bought the car off him.

Now as i have read some posts here and most of them suggets that there is virtually nothing i can do as DVLA has my name as the registered keeper. Honestly i do not have that money (and DVLA do not accept instalments), i need advice on whether to write DVLA telling them all that happened or do i just go to court and make my case known (knowing that i'd probably be asked to pay). Please advise.

Thank you good people

Edited by ijegi

Your name isn't unique - also you would have had to have SIGNED ythe V5C form to confirm acceptance as the RK. It has no bearing whether you paid him or not - but if the seller used HIS address, it remains HIS problem until you 'officially' become the RK (and point out to the DVLA that you and the previous similarly named keeper are not the same person).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you "reallymadwoman" "lula" and "buzby" for your reply/posts. I really appreciate them. "Buzby"- now having read your posts, i only got the letter because my friend's flatmate knows me. Do i reply to their letter which requires me to tell them (DVLA) that i was not the RK? or do i just keep mute as the letter was not sent to my address in the 1st place?

Please i would be happy for a quick response as the letter states that a response is needed on or before the 27th of November.

Thank you

I'm not a fan of opening doors I've no isdea what's behind - but clearly you weren't the RK at the time of the clamping? In which case it's not your probloem. What might be, is that I'm assuming you have no V5C for your car? If so, you'll need to apply for one in your name and address, assuming your friend doesn;t complete the form and sends it to the DVLA (as he's legally obliged to do). If you request a replacement, you'll have to pay - but if you can supply the green slip, it'll be free.