• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

brighthouse have done me over bigtime,anyadvice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5093 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello,

im new on here and am just adding my large horror story regarding brighthouse. not sure if i have done this correctly.

anyway, thanks to reading these hundreds of horror stories regarding the wonderful Brighthouse, i have decided to get my problem sorted once and for all.

right, here goes:

1/the first thing to go wrong was we ordered a refurbished 32in tv from them and was told it would be sent to the service centre to make sure it was up to standard. about 3 weeks later it arrived and i thought great, we have a nice tv to watch. but no,when i went to set it up i found there was no aeriel socket on the back of the set,just a hole and several screws missing ( not bad considering it had just been serviced,lol). the tv was picked up within a week and was told it would be up to 14 days to get it back.6 WEEKS later it came back after

2/the next was the washing machine we ordered,it turned up and within 3 weeks broke down. we got sent another one which lasted about a month before it too broke down. we then got another one and low and behold after several weeks it broke down. we then got sent a fourth one which lasted about four months and that put the now final nail in the coffin. i refused to pay any more money on a product that was barely in use. on the good side they eventually cancelled the contract, but we lost everything we had payed.

3/the next thing we ordered was an isabella 2 piece sofa set, which was fine for about 5 months until the back collapsed on the 3 seater. after several weeks an upholster turned up, took one look at it and said our £1400 pound sofa was made of cheap mdf and material and was fit for the scrapheap. brighthouse then sent us another sofa set out (cant remember the brand name). that lasted about 3 months after which the seams on nearly all the cushions started to split. again the upholsterer came out and sewed it up. this happened 3 times before bright house said come in and choose a new on. we did and not realising, they renewed our contract, which lost us our rights. the new one is still with us now(had it about 8 months to date) and guess what, the cushions have already started to collapse.

4/we ordered a refurb cooker which went through the process of going to the repair centre to be "SERVICED" before being delivered. again that broke down after a few weeks and brighthouse sent us another one which we had problems with from day 1. we eventually got an independant engineer out to look at it who deemed it unfit for use and stuck a big old sticker on it before disconnecting it. again we refused to pay and after several weeks got it cancelled but didnt get offered any form of compensation, even though there was a high risk someone could have been seriously hurt.

5/we purchased a tv stand which the cotract stated was new, when it turned up it came in bubble wrap and had a screw missing and the delivery men didnt have a clue how to put it together. anyway spoke to a regional manager today who said it was a shop floor new product and the contract was right(i disagree)

6/we ordered a brand new 50in rear projection tv which, after a few months decided it didnt want to work, so got collected by repair centre who went on to say we had burnt it out(how the f*** can you burn a brand new tv out in a few months after minimal usage) we had to then order a new lcd tv to replace it and again they made us sign a new contract which lost us money on what we had already payed. up to now the new one is fine(fingers and legs crossed)

7/we then bought one of there infamous Infinity desktop pc's which they claimed was a top of the range model. you guessed it,it broke down after several months.the repair centre picked it up and after losing it for nearly three months,they sent it back and i discovered they hadnt even looked at it as all the problems were still there. we eventuallt took it to pc world who said it was made up of cheaps parts and should never have been sold like it in the first place. by this time we had finished paying for the product and had to throw it in the bin. we lost over £1500 through this and feel they us something back.

8/next is a brand new psp which lasted about nine months before it decided to go wrong,we took it back and got given a second hand one(no cotract changed(is that legal), which looked a few years old. just as we we finished paying for it and within 2 weeks it died on us. so again we lost out.

9/in december 08,we bought 2 acer 12in notebooks for our sons for xmas,by ithink,february, they both decided to pack up within weeks of eachother. the store changed them and all was fine until about 2 months ago when again, they both packed up and got sent to the repair centre. after a combined time of twelve weeks they came back looking like they had been dipped in grease and we thought problem solved,but oh no,within 2 weeks they have broken down again. the store have offered new ones,which we have refused as a member of staff said we would be bringing them back in with problems. this is ongoing at moment.

10/got a 16 in acer laptop,brand new. again,it broke down after several months and got exchanged straight away. the new one has now started playing up.

11/ 3 x xboxes all of which have had the ring of death within about 8 months.

right,thats my little horror story.

some of you may be thinking why,oh why do we keep going back,but to answer that we have 2 disabled boys and have to rely on benefits so getiing credit or even gifts for our children was almost impossible.

we have now refused to make any more payments on the advice of a well known consumer advice service,until we get some sort of compensation for all the trouble and stress they have caused us over the years. as well as money for all the dodgy gear they have sold us.

tomorrow(11 nov) we have a meeting with the regional manager to try and get this sorted, but we wont hold our breath as he has already indicated they are not prepared to compensate us in any way.

will let you know the outcome

btw. according to the regional manager today,we have abused all the said products despite the fact all service reports have indicated faulty goods.

p.s Big up to Lefty,u really know your stuff.

Edited by gilbert535

You mention a well known consumer action service.. (Who is this?)

The regional manager shouldn't say it's you who has misused the goods, Brighthouse have a high turnover of staff and all of them are trained to be arseholes.

Why the hell do you continue to purchase products from them after so many things have gone wrong? That's a very long list and i would say stop using them, use a reputable company (If there are any companies that don't play the idiot) They should be better than BH.

consumer direct were the people i have been speaking to.

had meeting today,got most issues resolved just waiting to see wot HEAD OFFICE have to say. will keep u informed.

ps got told today that we can no longer purchase from them(like we want to any more,no chance)

i can only advise anyone thinking of using them to look around to see if you can get a better deal elsewhere.

Good news that things are moving on. It's good that you have been speaking to Consumer Direct, they have a good reputation and will help you alot.

Just fight for your rights, and yes, you don't want to buy anything else from BrightHouse again, not with the way they treated you as a valuable customer.

latest update:

After our meeting last week with regional manager he said he would let us know what was going to happen to the "DODGY" laptops.

I went into the store today to collect copies of all our contracts and was told that the repair report sheets that i requested couldnt be accessed as we had had the goods back. I have never heard so much rubbish in my life and seeing as the problems are to do with the laptops i am now assuming they have never actually been sent off to get fixed,so i phoned up head office today regarding this and was told that they were not going to replace them but only send them off to the elusive repair centre.

Now, under the sale of goods act we are entitled to a replacement or refund as they have already been exchanged once and repaired once and were proven to be faulty and we are still not happy.

also ,under the Trade Desciptions Act they are committing an offence by applying a false description of the goods,by which, the goods were not of the standards they claimed.

The regional manager didnt even have the balls to notify us of the decision,which he promised he would,yet another let down to add to the list.

We were also told,regarding settees,that until recently they sold sofas which were designed for only occasional use and were not any good for unemployed people as they tended to use them more,LOL.

There were also some other interesting statements made on the day which,quite frankly,shocked us.

i really hope they do not deny saying it as i recorded the entire conversation and im sure it would be interesting to the Managing Director or any one else who cares to listen to it.

Needless to say,we are not going to be making any more payments on the laptops until this is resolved and luckily we have the support of Consumer Direct and other various financial and retail experts.

To end this post can i just say to the regional manager that the reason i had so much time to look for all the legal jargon is,yes,because we are not working, but look at peoples circumstances before you cast us all off as people that just sit around at home all day.(as per recorded conversation)

If i hear anything else i will keep u posted

Thanks

Hiya

This is my first post so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right...

In september 2008 I took out and agreement with brighthouse for a 'refurbished' fridge freezer over 102 weeks.

Then in april and june I took out two further agreements, one for a tv over 3 years and the one in june for a playstation 3 over 52 weeks.

In October I ran into financial difficulties and got 3 weeks behind with my payments. I was hoping to sort it out until they came knocking.

Firstly the letters arrive then daily they sent some guy to my door. Each time someone went to the door and told them that I wasn't in. Many of the times I wasnt I was taking or picking the kids up from school etc. My ex partner phoned them after a note was put through the door. He told them that I was only willing to communicate in writing. For some reason the guy must not have understood this because he was back at my door the next morning.. only to be told the same again.

I was scared after reading and hearing about their bullying tactics so read it up on here. I sent them a letter stating that they could come and collect the fridge freezer but only if they contact me in writing to arrange a mutual appointment. The letter also stated that I wanted the OSC and DLC taken off my agreements and that I was not willing to pay their late payment charges and the money that they wanted for my OSC and DLC over the past few weeks I wasn't willing to pay either as I was advised that once I went into arrears the products werent covered anyway. Needless to say I read up on my basic rights before I wrote the letter as I was not going to take any bullying tactics.

They mustn't have understood this either because the next day as I went to pick up my son from school they knocked on for the fridge. My ex partner signed the surrender form and off they went with my fridge. I came back and was extremely annoyed by this as I didn't feel he had the right to authorise them to take back the fridge as he was NOTHING to do with my account with Brighthouse. Surely they should not have taken it without MY consent.

I have not heard anything since I sent this letter which would have arrived a week ago now. I offered to pay £10 a week as it's all I can afford right now I don't have much money coming in and I have 5 kids already and am pregnant again.

I know they wont let me do this because I have heard they don't take reduced payments but I'm a bit worried about where I stand now.. I have paid just 1/3 of my playstation but not 1/3 of the TV. I can't afford to buy a new one right now and I don't want to re-sign the agreement and lose what I have paid already.

I have not been issued with a default notice yet which I am waiting for, but I'm just worried that they might try and take the TV out of my house right before christmas and leave me without.

Any ideas on where I stand here and also should they have let someone else sign the surrender form for the fridge freezer?

Also may I add that on my agreement I was sold the TV as new but when I went to collect it from the store it had been taken off the shelf and wrapped in bubble wrap, not only that there was a scratch on the LCD screen. I didn't want to complain at the time as I was desperate for a TV.

Seeing as how you managed to get up to number 11 in your catalogue of problems with this rip-off company without figuring out that it might be advisable to shop elsewhere may I suggest the following:- 1. Have a think about which item of consumer electronics you might wish to purchase next. 2. Save up the money required to purchase aforesaid item (This is the important bit). 3. I'm sure you have internet access so please read the online reviews regarding the item you have identified as your next assault on the electronics market and ascertain which manufacturer produces the product least likely to betray you. 4. Buy that product and enjoy many happy mindless hours of fun without the thing breaking down. 5. Repeat where neccesary or even just completely unneccesary.

Completely on topic - The reason why this country is in such a financial mess is that the population has become accustomed that there is no requirement to work and save to aquire the goods and services that they are brainwashed into feeling that they need/want. Does anyone think that Gilbert's kids would be better parented should Gilbert spend a bit more time with them walking round the park or reading to them rather than worrying about their multiple laptops. Not having a go but if you are on benefits as a sole source of income why not save the cash up rather than pay later and waste your benefits on paying interest to these loansharks.

in answer to that, two of my children are disabled with muscular dystrophy so we spend alot of time at home as walking round the park as you put it is not an option really. we do save for alot of stuff but when christmas comes and they write out their lists we do try and get some of the stuff as we dont want them to go without some luxuries as with their illness the lifespan is quite short.

i take it you are another anti unemployed twit who doesnt find out the facts before opening their mouth.

i spent 18 years in work and would still be working now had it not been for them being diagnosed with the illness 4 years ago.

sorry to be so blunt,but after all the grief with brighthouse and their attitude towards unemployed people my wife and i have had enough.

p.s are you by any chance a brighthouse employee,if not,you need to read the complaints on this site before commenting on something you clearly know nothing about

thankyou for comments though.

steveoram1, this is a consumer advice forum not a forum for launching attacks on members, there situations or your own personal views on why this country is messed up

may i refer you to www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk which looking at the site recently would welcome your attacks with open arms

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 3 months later...

Hi there i have been reading all these message, i too cant work, i care for my sister whom has bad atharitus and difficulty walking, and is also hearing impared. and we both just cant afford a good tv, we had a rear project tv by samsung for years and its now became faulty there is a blue line going across the screen which affects the subtitles for my sister.. so we too have gone to bright house infact im wating for delivery now,

its late cos when they phoned me yday they said your tv is being deliverd tmw wednesday in the morning i ask them to repeat and asked MORNING? they said yes so i hung up happy to be reciving a nice led tv tmw.

but come today i get up 7am wait and wait comes to 11:45 only 15 mins left of morning, i called them up and they said not to worry they might have been a delay with a previouse delivery and that i will be reciving my tv today. it is now coming up to 2:30pm and i rang them 2 mins ago..

same person i spoke to yday and today, i asked i would like to find out what the last possible delivery time is, and why my tv is still not here i was told THE MORNING and i have been sat here like a pratt wating since 7am,

the guy replies i dont know who told you morning but we cant give a time of AM or PM, i laughed and told him it was you who told me michale and he sutterd and said that the tv comes from a warehouse in manchester and that the delivery van might be stuck in traffic,..WHAT A LOAD OF BULL. lol

just reading all the things said on here about bright house is astonishing, but i do not plan to buy more than what i have a tv, jthis is ust so we can have a tv where subtitles are crystal clear and afford it, also help with the credit side of things. after this its hasta la vista to bright house for me

xx

• 2 months later...

i been a customer for 2years with bright house 1st thing we bought was a computer and it packed up we went in to sort out and told us to phone acer and let them deal with it acer told us as we got it from them and it new and still under warranty they had to replace it which they did in the end but we had to travel to anouther store 20miles away to pick it up ourselfs. then we got a ds and that packed they managed to loose it for 2mths i then gave and cancelled that contract, we then had a bed that collassped and the mattress went flat in 6mths and wasnt meant to have lifetime warranty kept getin told we have new one following week that went on for 3mth and no bed wen they did aventually get us one it was half a divan and no mattress after another couple weeks we finally got whole bed touch wood it stiil sleep able, we then ordered wardrobe they took 4 weeks to come and was told every fri that it be there and never arrived. also had 3 sofas with them 1st one was reconditioned but collassed even tho it meant to be serviced then nxt on collassed the arms 3 times and they coming to repair in end swapped it again 4 a different and now this on 6mths old looks 10yrs old and falling apart wonder how long it take to sort also computer packed in again and we ended up waiting 9wks only just got it back after i complained to head office and found out we should have only had to pay for service cover while it was away but shop demanded we pay for it all and also took the money from our yellow money to do a payment with out asking us everytime we go to the shop they have stinking attitudes and dont want to help and fob u off with all the excuses going and each menmber of staff doesnt no wot the other one is doing way feeling now i could tell them to take the lot back as had enough.

i have had things from brighthouse and all they do is ring and ring constant asking for 8.00 they leave messages they knock they are a nightmare i wouldnt tell anybody to go there they harass me every week if i havnt paid i will never have anything with them again

WELL i have had my tv for 2 months and so far it works great, but i ran in to some trouble with my home my landlord landed me with the news that i had to move out, he lost his house in a divorce settlement and they house is going up for sale, so i had to save up a lot of money in a month to secure another home for me and my sister... i visited bright house and informed them that i will be having difficulty in paying over the next month they told me not to worry as they will be there to help and as long as i keep them informed on the situation evertyhing will be ok.

so the first week i missed my payment i had bright house store manager call up asking me to pay and why i had faulterd... i explained what i said in the store and what i was told and said that i did inform them, his reply was they dont run the store like that payments have to be made on time, i was rather annoyed and told him its not my fault the other members of staff in the store dont tell people the truth and hung up on him...

2 weeks later i secured a home and moved in i then visited the store with my tenecy agreement to change my address i told the lady on the desk that thhey need to take the phone number from the tenecy agreement as my account number is now not in use i watched her as she wrote the number on a separate piece of paper as the computer wasin use by another member of staff..

i offered them half the money i owed but the person in the store said cos she not a a manager she is not authorised to take part payments and would get the manager to call me on my mobile number i just gave them to let me know if it was ok and if i could come in ... i never recived his call..

now just the other day some one came to my house saying he had to take the tv i told him he cant come in to my home and he will not take my tv ... the account is way over due cos the store dont contact me ,... plus i never recived anything saying they would be taking the tv away, his reply was they sent a letter out and stated my old address, i asked him why would they send the letter to the old address but not the collection man, he had nothing to say to that.

im complete furiouse cos i went to the store and told them the truth before it happend and they said it would be ok then they harrase me ..

i hate them already

xx

• 4 weeks later...

i really do despair at the people who go back to these people and get financially mutilated...please please save up your little penny's that then turn into pounds and you then can escape these **** bags..your kids can entertain themselves for a few months without the £1500 computer worth £300.....i wish you all a prosperous life free from sharks