Leaving 3 at end of 18 month contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My "3" contract term of 18 months is up in early January and I will be going to another network (probably 02) because of poor and patchy reception with "3".

I want to take the number I have on the "3" line to my new network provider but I hear all sorts of horror stories about leaving "3" and taking the number to another network.

Can anyone let me know the best way to achieve the transfer and the timings (ie how soon to contact "3" ) needed to make this process as painless as possible

PPCs - Don`t pay their begging letters, don`t fall for the $ cam................. IGNORE PPC invoices

:amen:

Bit of a ramble here from me... I know lots of little bits of info that should help

You need to give 30 days notice, so give this exactly 30 days before the end of your minimum term (some time in December.)

You need a PAC (port authorization code) and these are valid for 30 days so you'll be best leaving it for at least a week (so that it is still valid a couple of days after your move as it can take a couple of days with you using a temporary number)

Regarding your old phone. Generally they're only good on the 3 network (as some handsets have the 2g network disabled, and all other UK mobile suppliers still use 2g for calls and texts) so get a 3 PAYG sim if you wanna keep using it or keep it as a spare.

Hope that helps, I'm sure someone else will come along and offer more advice. Personally I won't touch a mobile contract (as my usage is so low it doesn't pay me to) but my better half has higher usage so I got a sim-only deal and bought a phone on o2, and 90 days after I had the phone I'd got them to unlock it to any network just incase we decide to switch then we're never tied in to any long term contract and free to go anywhere at just 30 days notice.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I will be honest, they are very bad for this.

My advice is this:

1. Write to 3 giving your 30 days notice and requesting the disconnection of your account and your PAC code.

2. Make up a story that they cant come back at you with. For example I want an iPhone, as they cant offer it, only o2 and orange and later vodafone, this way they cannot come back at you with new offers.

3. Be tough, but not rude. If you are soft they will muck you about till you give up and take a deal. If you are rude or aggressive they can hang up or pass you on.

4. If you dont get straight through to disconnections, ask to be passed through to them.

5. Also dont mention you are leaving because of poor service as they will probably try and tell you it was your old phone or something ridiculous.

6. If they start going on and on then just repeat your intentions to them, ie "no, thank you for the offer but I would rather just take my PAC code and move over to o2 to get the iphone"

7. If they ask why the iPhone, just say "I JUST LIKE IT :), YOU CANT CHANGE MY MIND".

Hope it all goes well!

Gordon

Carphonewarehouse