Police have just been, BP reported me as a drive off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Maybe calling the Police was all the retailer could do to identify the driver, I'm assuming they got the reg number of the car from forecourt CCTV, and since the driver of the car did obtain goods or services without paying for them then it would be reasonable to try and identify who the driver was.

I also do not believe for one second that the OP was not aware that the wrong amount was been asked for when they were paying. I'd also query why the OP refused to pay for the fuel over the phone when asked to do so, that sounds like a reasonable request to me (ie asking him to pay for something that he had taken)

Mossy

I am not so surprised that the Police were called.

It is possible to prosecute a person for taking advantage of what was obviously a mistake, albeit that the burden of proof would be large; the prosecution would have to show that a person was aware of this and should have known better.

This has been known to happen, for instance, with a very large payment that went to a bank account in error. One is not entitled to pretend to take no notice of such an event.

:!:

C) No !!! I do not always check the amount, I expect people to be able to do the job they are paid to do, I'm clearly more trusting and honest than some people

I'll wager that had I been that cashier and I had charged you £150 on your debit / credit card you would have noticed..... Funny how people don't notice that they've been undercharged isn't it.

• 6 months later...

It was £15 not £150 and to all those nice people who didn't want me hung drawn and quartered for someone elses mistake, they never did come to collect their money and I have never been in there since.

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.