Really concerned now!!!!

glynn tappenden
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes I was 1 month and 2 days behind so I phoned them and made a payment for 2 months which they assured me had gone straight into my loan account,this was last week and I did this through the collections dept .Now they have called to say that they paid it into my bank account instead and i am still 2 months in arrears and that they cant pay any funds into my loan acc it has to go through my bank acc first ,well as my acc is over my o/d limit due to nearly £10,000 of unlawful charges ,I have to clear my o/d and put enough in for the loan,this equates to nearly £1400,please give me some advice,is it true that you cannot pay money directly off your loan,my mother-in-law payed for this on her debit card specifically for the loan we stipulated it was for the loan and they confirmed that it had been applied to the loan acc .

Guest NATTIE

Some loans yes and some loans No. I would state the account is in dispute because they shouldn't default you. I would also ring and complain that you made a payment to the loan to bring it up to date and was paid into wrong account.

Yes I was 1 month and 2 days behind so I phoned them and made a payment for 2 months which they assured me had gone straight into my loan account,this was last week and I did this through the collections dept .Now they have called to say that they paid it into my bank account instead and i am still 2 months in arrears and that they cant pay any funds into my loan acc it has to go through my bank acc first ,well as my acc is over my o/d limit due to nearly £10,000 of unlawful charges ,I have to clear my o/d and put enough in for the loan,this equates to nearly £1400,please give me some advice,is it true that you cannot pay money directly off your loan,my mother-in-law payed for this on her debit card specifically for the loan we stipulated it was for the loan and they confirmed that it had been applied to the loan acc .

How on earth do you get into such a situation? I'm all against these unlawful bank charges but I'm also against poor financial management from people too incompetent to look after their own money. :rolleyes:

How on earth do you get into such a situation? I'm all against these unlawful bank charges but I'm also against poor financial management from people too incompetent to look after their own money. :rolleyes:

Comments like this do not help anyone do they?

You can put as many smiley faces on as you like but if you want to feel superior, go and do it somewhere else.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Jeez - I thought we were all here because we need help, not stupid comments from people! None of us have any idea over what got people into the situations they are in.

Best of luck glynn

Mark

I totally agree!

This site is so helpful and comments like that really are pointless; getting into debt happens to all sorts of people and because of a variety of reasons. It's with the help of sites like this and support and advice from other people that these problems can get sorted out.

Good luck Glyn

How mature, nice to see everyone here is open minded

Sorry, but £10,000 in bank charges is ridiculous and at the end of the day, it's cases like this that will inevitably see the courts in favour of the banks, unlawful charge or not.

£10,000 =

unrranged borrowing 357 times (assuming it costs £28 each time, it hasn't always been that expensive)

or 200 referral fees.

We're not talking about a £10,000 loan or car someone is struggling to pay here. We're talking £10,000 accumulated in charges for not keeping track of your money. At the end of the day, banks just look after your money, they're not your personal accountants and it's ultimately up to you to manage your finances.

If it ever got to court, how would you explain that to a judge? They'd probably see it as gross negligence.

As I said, I don't agree with charges but if you're repeatedly abusing their services and constantly going overdrawn, bouncing cheques, payments, etc then I don't think that behaviour benefits anyone.

i see your point about 10 grand being a bit much to clock up with charges, but at the end of the day this site is here to help.

not pass judgement on how/why people are in the situation they are in.

13 July 06 - Data Protection Act request sent to NatWest :-|

7 August - Natwest want to 'discuss my account':???:

9 August - "HISTORIC STMNT FEE- £5.00" showing on online bank

16 August - Statements Arrived, tatty brown sellotaped envelope:rolleyes:

Sorry, but £10,000 in bank charges is ridiculous and at the end of the day, it's cases like this that will inevitably see the courts in favour of the banks, unlawful charge or not.

£10,000 =

unrranged borrowing 357 times (assuming it costs £28 each time, it hasn't always been that expensive)

or 200 referral fees.

We're not talking about a £10,000 loan or car someone is struggling to pay here. We're talking £10,000 accumulated in charges for not keeping track of your money. At the end of the day, banks just look after your money, they're not your personal accountants and it's ultimately up to you to manage your finances.

If it ever got to court, how would you explain that to a judge? They'd probably see it as gross negligence.

As I said, I don't agree with charges but if you're repeatedly abusing their services and constantly going overdrawn, bouncing cheques, payments, etc then I don't think that behaviour benefits anyone.

If the very first charge sends you over your budget then the rest are a knock on effect and charges go on and on including on top of referall fees unauthorised borrowing fees at £14.00 per month which used to be £3.50 per day! and then interest. I think any fair minded judge would see it as negligence but on the banks part for adding charges and increasing someones debt, when they knew all along the level of their charges were unlawful.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

The first step to helping should be to stop people getting into this situation in the first place, then banks wouldn't be able to screw their customers.

I started tracking my accounts about 2 years ago and it's been a godsend. A simple Excel spreadsheet is all it takes.

It is only a matter of time before something changes and all it will take is one case the banks lawyers think they'll win, one person who won't be too hot in court, one precedent and everyone is in trouble.

Cases where people have let it escalate to the point thousands upon thousands of pounds are taken in charges won't do any favours. It will be seen as being irresponsible. Again, we have threads here from people in mid claim or who have won who are posting they're having more charges taken from their account. The simple solution is to stop spending everything and living on the very edge.

Eventually, something has to give.

£10,000 =

or 200 referral fees.

How open-minded was it of you to pass judgement summarily and accuse a total stranger of incompetence?

These charges are unlawful regardless of whether they total £10 or £10,000. The only gross negligence being committed is on the part of the banks in continuing to levy these charges and continuing to claim that they are fair and reasonable.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

How open-minded was it of you to pass judgement summarily and accuse a total stranger of incompetence?

These charges are unlawful regardless of whether they total £10 or £10,000. The only gross negligence being committed is on the part of the banks in continuing to levy these charges and continuing to claim that they are fair and reasonable.

Right, so there's no negligence at all, whatsoever on the part of the customer? You don't think they could avoid being hit with £10,000's worth of charges if they took responsibility for their finances?

The charges may be unlawful, but that doesn't give someone cart blanche to run amok on their account. The problem is, people are living on the very edge, spending all their money, not putting any aside, not budgeting, not keeping track of their transactions, etc. If the bank hadn't allowed the transactions then the alternative might have been far worse. Those payments would have failed and perhaps the debtors would now be seeking court action, defaults, etc and the customer may be facing bankruptcy.

People can continue to moan about banks levying these charges but you can't deny that the customer has a responsibility to manage their account properly.

Right, so there's no negligence at all, whatsoever on the part of the customer? You don't think they could avoid being hit with £10,000's worth of charges if they took responsibility for their finances?

This is not a black and white issue I'm afraid! You can't look at this whole issue and say, the banks are right, customers are wrong. That is a short sighted and uninformed view.

The whole process can begin much like an avalanche, with a couple of missed direct debits payments (often due to negligence on behalf of the bank) spiralling into £90 referral charge for the month. This is £90 gone from the next months worth of money that person has. If they are living on or below the breadline anyway, this is going to cause unnecessary hardship. It only needs for this to happen a few times for the amounts involved to balloon, due to the extortionate charges the banks emply, into an unpayable sum and continue to grow!

If you come to these forums with the intent of bad mouthing other people, then I suggest you find somewhere else to vent your frustrations.

And to Glynn, best of luck mate!

My original 2006 claim - Victorious!

13/06/2006 - Sent Data Protection Act Request (NatWest), recorded delivery.

19/06/2006 - Sent preliminary letter, requesting £3483

17/07/2006 - Sent LBA for revised figure of £3601 (after finally managing to open a parachute account with Lloyds TSB!)

07/08/2006 - Filed Moneyclaim for £4401

11/09/2006 - Defence received from Cobbetts

25/09/2006 - Sent AQ to court and CPR18 response to Cobbetts

30/09/2006 - AQ due at court

25/10/2006 - *WON* Cheque for full amount received from Cobbetts

"Things are made of littler things that jiggle"

- Richard Feynman

This is not a black and white issue I'm afraid! You can't look at this whole issue and say, the banks are right, customers are wrong. That is a short sighted and uninformed view.

The whole process can begin much like an avalanche, with a couple of missed direct debits payments (often due to negligence on behalf of the bank) spiralling into £90 referral charge for the month. This is £90 gone from the next months worth of money that person has. If they are living on or below the breadline anyway, this is going to cause unnecessary hardship. It only needs for this to happen a few times for the amounts involved to balloon, due to the extortionate charges the banks emply, into an unpayable sum and continue to grow!

If you come to these forums with the intent of bad mouthing other people, then I suggest you find somewhere else to vent your frustrations.

And to Glynn, best of luck mate!

I haven't come here to bad mouth people, I'm just being realistic. We have people here who are still getting charges after they've won a claim, whatever happened to learning from mistakes? Again, there are people here claiming on behalf of sons and daughters. Are these people not responsible enough to go through this process themselves, they have to get a parent to do it for them? unless customers show some degree of responsibility then I can see things going pear shaped. I'm not saying the banks are right and the customer is wrong, I'm saying there's responibility on behalf of both parties.

You said:

"The whole process can begin much like an avalanche, with a couple of missed direct debits payments (often due to negligence on behalf of the bank) "

How is it often due to negligence on behalf of the bank? Direct Debits will go out on the day you agreed with the company you set the DD up with. If that day falls on a weekend then the payment usually goes out the Friday before or the Monday after. It's up to the customer to make sure there is money in their account to cover the DD and any other transactions they make. If there's only enough money to cover a DD then it's up to them not to attempt to spend more money on their account. I don't see how you can blame missed DD payments on the bank, the only time I've had missed DD payments is when I haven't had money in my account because a paycheck bounced, etc.

Fortunately, I got wise and decided enough was enough and was no longer happy to let the banks charge me, so I made sure my finances were in check and I have adequate money in the bank.

You're forgetting, it's only recently that all this 'reclaim your unfair bank charges' thing has kicked off. Before this, people were totally unaware the charges were unfair and they had a right to claim them back. So before they knew this, why were they allowing their accounts to be managed so badly and allowing banks to screw them out of hundreds, if not thousands of pounds?

I think I'm becoming disillusioned with the forum. I can understand people claiming their charges back, but to continue to run their accounts badly and continue accumulating charges AFTER they've already a claim just makes me think "what the hell is wrong with these people?". You need to think this through in an unbiased light, if people continue to carry on like this, and run up thousands in charges then it's providing the banks with ammunition. It gives them the excuses they need to say "Look, these people are irresponsible, they continue to behave like this", etc, etc. How much longer do you think this can continue? We're already hearing of courts being inundated with these cases so it's only a matter of time before something is done to put an end to all this.

Danmoz 98 - why don't you just wind your neck in. Take a look at what you are claiming and you say that is just a couple of charges.

Give this person a break and concentrate on your own claim. If you were that clever then you would never have had any charges.

This person asks for help and so far all this thread has done is listen to you bad mouthing.

Go moan on your own thread and let someone help this person out.

We are all on here for one thing regardless of amount and that is to claim our charges back, or should i say I am helping my partner as he has health problems

Now please leave this person alone

The reasons for running up charges do not concern me, I choose not to be judgemental and pious, preferring instead to offer help where I can.

The end you refer to will come when the banks stop charging £38 for a returned DD or cheque, overdraft fees, over limit fees etc. These charges are simply not realistic.

I think I'm becoming disillusioned with the forum. I can understand people claiming their charges back, but to continue to run their accounts badly and continue accumulating charges AFTER they've already a claim just makes me think "what the hell is wrong with these people?". You need to think this through in an unbiased light, if people continue to carry on like this, and run up thousands in charges then it's providing the banks with ammunition. It gives them the excuses they need to say "Look, these people are irresponsible, they continue to behave like this", etc, etc. How much longer do you think this can continue? We're already hearing of courts being inundated with these cases so it's only a matter of time before they something is done to put an end to all this.

People are not continuing to "run their accounts badly" as you say, they are merely making mistakes. Do you not allow mistakes in your world?

Nobody forces the banks to take on these accounts or to keep them open, if they did not want the business then they can choose to terminate the contracts, why do you think they do not do this?

Nobody forces you to continue posting either, so if you want to leave, then do so.

Danmoz 98 - why don't you just wind your neck in. Take a look at what you are claiming and you say that is just a couple of charges.

Give this person a break and concentrate on your own claim. If you were that clever then you would never have had any charges.

This person asks for help and so far all this thread has done is listen to you bad mouthing.

Go moan on your own thread and let someone help this person out.

We are all on here for one thing regardless of amount and that is to claim our charges back, or should i say I am helping my partner as he has health problems

Now please leave this person alone

£866 over about 4 - 4.5 years, during my teens, in a low paid job isn't exactly a lot.

I think some of you need to remove your rose tinted spectacles. Stating the obvious isn't 'bad mouthing'. If you ended up in court, with a judge, facing your bank, and the banks solicitors or judge said "you should have managed your account better, not allowed this to happen, not let it get so extreme, etc, etc" would your counter argument be "stop bad mouthing me!"? :rolleyes:

As I said, surely if you're so concerned about helping people then helping them not get into this situation should be part of that? As they say, prevention is better than cure, no?

The reasons for running up charges do not concern me, I choose not to be judgemental and pious, preferring instead to offer help where I can.

The end you refer to will come when the banks stop charging £38 for a returned DD or cheque, overdraft fees, over limit fees etc. These charges are simply not realistic.

People are not continuing to "run their accounts badly" as you say, they are merely making mistakes. Do you not allow mistakes in your world?

Nobody forces the banks to take on these accounts or to keep them open, if they did not want the business then they can choose to terminate the contracts, why do you think they do not do this?

Nobody forces you to continue posting either, so if you want to leave, then do so.

Your post started out so well, but just went off into the usual tirade of other irrational posters.

I agree, but even if / when the charges do come down to a more reasonable level, then what? Even if they're only £5 per charge, people will still continue to be charged from poor management of their accounts, only this time they may find themselves unable to reclaim those charges after fighting so hard for them to be 'reduced to resonable levels'. So what is the plan of action then? Perhaps another forum offering free accounting advice?

Of course I do, but as I said previously, aren't people learning from these mistakes? Some have won their claims, then continue receving charges on their account.

I believe some people are having accoutns closed after taking their bank to court, I also know that people who continue to behave like this, abusing their account, do have their accoutns closed. Maybe not all but it happens.

Why do I think they carry on allowing this to happen? That's obvious, because they are profiting, however, when that stops, why should banks continue to allow transactions to go through if there are insufficient funds in an account? The answer is, they won't. When it no longer benefits them I wouldn't be surprised if they put an end to unarranged borrowing, etc. Instead, people won't have the funds in their account, they'l find payments aren't going through, etc, and inevitably end up in deeper water (with debtors) than simply being charged by the bank

OK.

ENOUGH.

This has gone severely off topic now.

The opening poster came here for advice on what to do and was given it, thanks to NWSM. It has since turned into a slanging match.

DANMOZ98 - If you are becoming disillusioned with this forum as you state you feel you are then go. This is not a forum where people come to be lectured and judged on their financial status. They come to be helped, as you did when you joined and which you are still asking for.

So please, everybody, stop.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....