Sold car 3 months ago but i got a fine

ifne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

i sold my focus on the 18/07/2009

but ive only just relised that its still in my name

due to a parking fine from transport of london £120

ive spoken to transport of london and explained i dont own it

ive rang Dvla and explain V5 most of got lost in the post so ive writen a letter and proof reciept of sale with both sign,

but can i still get points fines? how do i stand on this?

i did not relised that you get a letter saying is not mine any more from DVLA, i have the address of the buyer and passed that on to them,

ive chased him on facebook (lucky) and he said he's sold it on but how can he if he's got no log book,

my work requires me to have a driving licence.

any help you be great.

You cannot get points or a fine as you didn't commit the offence. Supply them with the name of who you sold the car to.

DVLA will probably try to fine you for not telling them you sold the car. They will claim you should have contacted them after 4 weeks of sending in the V5. But that is exactly what you are doing, it is after 4 weeks. DO NOT pay them if they ask. Let them take you to court and you WILL win.

All that is required in law is that you posted it. You did that, end of story.

Have they provided photographic evidence so that you can see who's driving??

If the buyer has sold it on then didn't he also advise DVLA of the details??

For the sake of 75p it's well worth sending these details by recorded mail...no help to you now I appreciate!! ;)

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Stop worry about the car! It isn't yours anymore. It doesn't matter if they photographed it from Venus or from under the brake pedal. It isn't your car or your problem. You CANNOT be fined for driving the car as you weren't and don't know who was.

All you need to do is let Transport for London know when you sold it and who to. They will do the rest.

Your duty was to send the V5 to DVLA. You did that, end of the problem. If they got it or not is not your concern in law. The fact you posted it is good enough.

Of course, there are those that say they sold it when they didn't and try to back pedal things. They always get caught but as you are not one of those, there is nothing to worry about.

Your duty was to send the V5 to DVLA. You did that, end of the problem. If they got it or not is not your concern in law. The fact you posted it is good enough.

I'm not sure that's quite the case unless the OP has proof of posting.

DVLA normally state that the owner is responsible until their records are updated. However, the bill of sale should help the OP.

I know the law changed which is why it is so important to ensure that the changes are registered with DVLA asap.

Edited by WelshMam2009
Posted too soon.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

(1) Venus or not - the RK is liable for the fine if there is no other identifiable person/driver to pass it on to. (2) Why don;t you know the name of the new keeper? You will have sent it to the DVLA.... yes? This will have been signed by you and the new Keeper, and the DVLA then confirm their records have en updated. You now know the DVLA still hold you as the Keeper, so - assuming the photo actually shoes your old car (it isn;t a clone), you'd best start chasing the new owner to see if he's recieved his documents yet?

yes i sent log book to dvla straight away,

i know all names and address of my buyer and the 2nd buyer,

my buyer said hes got a new v5 and trying to reg it in this name,

he sent this to me

"Okay, Thats fine mate. No I totally understand obviosly the logbook never went through, I did phone them when I had the car, they never recieved it so god knows what happend there. If its just a parking ticket im sure there wont be no serious problems, the new owner should have sent of the new keepers supplment but obviously its still registerd in your name, Ill get the letter sorted tommorow"

I'm not sure that's quite the case unless the OP has proof of posting.

DVLA normally state that the owner is responsible until their records are updated. However, the bill of sale should help the OP.

I know the law changed which is why it is so important to ensure that the changes are registered with DVLA asap.

The law states that any item posted by first class post is deemed to have been delivered within 2 days of that date (or something pretty much worded like that).

Proof of posting is always desirable, but in any court case the OP swearing on oath that he did post is all that will be needed for the judge/magistrate.

The OP is NOT responsible for parking or traffic offences they did not comit. As they no longer own the vehicle they have no duty to know who was driving after the date on which they sold the vehicle.

All they need to do is notify the relevant ticket issuer of the date of sale and name of buyer. If they subsequently sold it on, they simply do the same.

DVLA are telling a little lie their to cover their inability to maintain an accurate database.

You only have to notify them not wait for them to update details.

DVLA are telling a little lie their to cover their inability to maintain an accurate database.

You only have to notify them not wait for them to update details.

The DVLA state allsorts of things as being 'the law'....when you ask them to share the relevant bit of law they go awfully quiet...becasue often they seem to make stuff up!!!

Good luck...stick to your guns...you should be fine

Andrew

The DVLA state allsorts of things as being 'the law'....when you ask them to share the relevant bit of law they go awfully quiet...becasue often they seem to make stuff up!!!

Good luck...stick to your guns...you should be fine

Andrew

That's why I spend so much time telling them how bad they are. :lol: