Help with Buchanan Clark and Wells

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I wonder if you could give me some assistance on the following.

As background, I had a broadband account with Orange (who took over Wanadoo & Freeserve), which I terminated when I moved flats, moving to another ISP.

I moved flats back in March, but took my landline number with me.

Following on from a series of conversations with three advisors at Orange, I confirmed I had cancelled this account in March this year... or so I believed....

I’ve spoken to Orange staff who seemed unable to confirm that spoke to them previously (their call notes seem to omit any useful details or directly contradict themselves). I intimated my frustration to the staff at Orange, and urged them to ‘solve’ this as soon as possible. Back in June I've given them an additional £14 they said I owed.

However, a month or two later I receive a number of automated robotic messages on my home answer machine, along the lines of “Mr Weston. Please call Buchanan Clark and Wells on [phone number] as a matter of urgency quoting reference number #1234567...”

Now, this company (who appear to be a debt recovery agency) have called me after 6pm when I’m at home, and the guy asks to speak to me (I eventually confirm who I am to get some more information) and then asks for me to confirm my address due to the Data Protection Act. As they won’t tell me what this call is regarding, I say I am unable to do this as I don’t know who they are. I say I am unable to contiune with the conversation as they won't divulge what they're calling about.

To which he says ok, they’ll send out a letter...

Now if they have my old address, any letters will either get binned, or “returned to sender” (if the new occupants can be bothered). I’ve dropped a note through my old flat’s door, asking them to write “Not known at this address - please return to sender to adjust their records” on any new post addressed to me & send back. However, I understand (from my old letting agents) some utility providers can find out my new address if they believe money is owed to them.

I’m convinced I closed my Orange account fully, and have paid all outstanding balance. I'm happily with a new ISP. Now it seems Buchanan Clark and Wells are harassing me into parting with money I don’t owe them or Orange. I've always been uber polite on the phone, but Orange appear to be incompentent in closing the account.

I’d really appreciate any advice or thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Bob W

Hi There,

I had a similar thing with B & Wells, for a N Power Bill. They chased me for A YEAR even though I'd told them on the phone thousands of times that I had vacated the property.

Eventually, I had to fax proof that I had moved out, which they denied rceiving, so sent them recorded delivery so they couldn't deny receiving it. Finally they left me alone - they are a nightmare so anything you send to them, do it recorded delivery! x

Thread moved to Telecoms.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I have now resolved this matter with Orange (via another forum - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2014953), who I'm told will inform their Debt recovery firm, Buchanan Clark and Wells.

Orange neglected to tell me my account was outstanding £18 for not using a MAC code to close the account. They have now waived this fee.

Maybe send an e-mail to customer.services@orange.co.uk - an Orange representative (in the 'Orange Response Team') was involved on the above MSE forum.

All sorted.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alderney1965dk

If you need any help getting in touch with anyone high up in companies then take a look at this

It may help you get to the top and cut out the robots who are mostly based overseas. For Debt collection agencies then the correct addresses can be found here and just put the name of the DCA chasing you

Hope that helps