Another Aviva / IVAL problem!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently made a claim on my home insurance with Aviva for a laptop computer that I accidently damaged.

The laptop is about 3+ years old but was a high end system costing around £1700 when I purchased it.

I phoned the claims number on my policy to report the claim and then after answering all their questions, they told me that they would send a courier out to collect the laptop to see if it could be repaired. I returned the laptop then a few days later, I had a phone call asking for the original receipt. I told them that I could not find it as I have had the laptop for quite a while now so they asked me to send them the original manufacturer recovery CDs that came with the machine as proof of purchase - so I did (and sent them via recorded delivery).

After speaking with the claims team (Ival Resolve) earlier today as my last contact with them was on the 16th of September, I was told that they now want me to send them a bank statement showing the proof of purchase. I explained that I purchase everything online using credit cards for the added protection from the credit card companies and that I no longer have the credit card as I constantly change them to obtain better rates.

I also do not know which company I purchased the laptop from as I use the comparison sites such as Kellkoo etc. to obtain the best price and then purchase it from that company and as it was around three+ years ago, I have no idea which company I used.

It sounds to me that I am simply being fobbed off, probably because I do not have the receipt etc. but I was just wondering if there is anything I can do or if I should just bite the bullet and accept that they are not going to pay out?

Any help or advice that you can provide would be most welcome.

• 3 months later...

Hi Big Rob,

I currently have a claim going through the Southampton County Court against IVAL as they took my laptop for repair and disposed of it before the claim was settled.

I had asked for it back to get my own independent engineer to check the problem as thay said it was beyond repair. They also offered me a replacement one, of poorer quality and low end spec. This I refused, having talked to a few pc repairers explaining the problem, they had all said it was getting too hot and was a simple fix.

Anyway I had a letter offering data retrieval for approx £70.00, whether successful or not. I declined this offer and again stated to return it, the claim was not closed and I would instruct my own engineer to inspect it. This company, iVal, had been arranged through Aviva, formerly Norwich Union, so I contacted them asking if they would get in touch with iVal and get it sent back as my requests were ignored.

I then received a letter from Aviva stating that iVal had disposed of the machine. Great. All my documents were on there, letters, electronic invoices, pitures and videos, all of which were not backed up. What is really annoying is that they were offering a data retrieval service even after they were awre the laptop had disposed before the claim was settled. Aviva promptly issued a cheque for the full value of the laptop, Sony with extra bright screen etc, with a letter of appology and clearly stating iVal were responsible for any lost data as they could not destroy or dispose of the machine before the claim was settled. So I have taken this matter to the courts and I am claiming £1500.00 for lost pictures, videos, letters and programs. The true value of the programs purchased by download is over half this, and my lost holiday pics will never be replaced.

In future regardless of insurance company requirements I will send my pc to my local engineer explaining why I will not let them use their own. As far as I'm concerned, their strive for cost cutting leads to more costs than are really neccessary.

iVal are owed by Powerplaydirect.com. They also trade under BeValued & Laptop-PC-Spares (on Ebay). Click the about ME icon on ebay for address, it's the same as the others. Apart from the Ebay username the rest can be found on Linkedin.com. Check headquarters address and each linked company to find it's all the same.

I will update as soon as the case has been heard. Hope this helps someone.

Edited by Chiro
Many spelling errors due to haste in sharing info.

Hi There,

I cannot see them not paying out. you have to prove the item is yours - I would say that this has been proven by the items you have provided already. You also have to prove that the item has been damaged by a way that falls under the policy cover - as they have not mentioned this I would presume that this has also been met.

You need to speak to NUI / Aviva advising of the delays, particularly concerntrating on the fact your last contact was 4 months ago, but only after you chasing them did they advise that they required further information. Also query with Aviva WHY they want this further information - you only have to provie you owned the item, and the submission of the damaged laptop and the original discs would satisfy a court of law.

Aviva will apologise for the service you have had, then ring Ival & find out what is hapenning for you - Ival are less likely to fob Aviva off than you.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

I was just going to respond when I noticed Big Rob posted this in September!

So if you're still seeking an answer then let us know. Other than that, I would say:

Jump through a couple of the insurance company's hoops (via their claims handlers) and after that demand a decision. If they have serious concerns they'll risk digging deeper or even rejecting the claim alltogether. That kind of thing costs money so it's not a decision taken lightly by a reputable insurer like Aviva. A phone call to their Customer Service Unit tends to straighten out any grey areas. Unless they have something tangible on you, they'll probably pay when you first challenge them to make a decision.

Pubno1,

There is currently a claim going through the courts and you are obviously not in the loop of people who are entitled to such knowledge or are considered in need of being informed by your employers.

At no time was there any intention of not having the data recovered. The data recovery was offered after disposal of the computer so please explain how it could be done? Time machine perhaps? The computer remains my property while the claim is ongoing, so when asked for it to be returned, then why did iVal not do so? The offer had not been accepted. It was still very much in dispute.

The claim was with my insurance company Aviva who had agreed the return of the computer. iVal were asked repeatedly by phone and letter for the return. iVal are Aviva's agent not mine, my insurance claim was with Aviva not iVal. iVal are to do as Aviva requests, which includes return of the computer when requested. Return it does not mean dispose of it.

Aviva only paid out (the value of the computer only) after it had come to be known by Ricky Maddox, I beleive is how his name is spelt, at Aviva that the computer had been disposed of. This disposal was before claim was settled.

There is more information available but I will not be posting it here until after the case has been heard. Feel free to make enquiries where you work as to the case number. It is real. Your bosses are hiding it from you if they have told you otherwise. I'm not sure but I think you can also request the information yourself from Southampton county court of the ongoing claim involving iVal as you work for them. This might not be the situation, but I'm trying to let you find out the truth. At linkedin it clearly shows who the parent company is and the addresses are the same, Exactly the same.

It would be helpful if you could give the names of the top people at iVal. I'm not asking for you to do anthing illegal or that may put your job in jepardy, so I understand if you can not. By the way I am not sure if the names given by the people answering the phone are even their real ones as this is hard to get a full name to ensure you get to speak to a person that has been spoken to before.

My understanding is that people are employed and overworked at iVal in the repair dept. Too many computers for allocated time. This could be false but was posted by an employee as being the case on this site. I also note you mention calls are recorded. Thanks for that, I will now make a request for those, and print this off as I may use what is quoted for the court case. Some of what you have put is not what iVal employees have said to me.

I note you are saying "you are not having a go" and I believe that is true. Thanks for the feedback & all the best to you too.

Hi Everyone,

Aviva, Crawfords, Insure repair, Asprea, these companies are totally lacking in manners, professionalism, courtesy, understanding, my roof leak caused by storm damage was called in on the 22.1.10(morning) and it is now 24.1.10 (evening), all they have done is to pass me from one lackadaisical company to another more incompetent company.

How hard is it to arrange for someone to carry out repairs on a roof, all the responses I received were that I would have to arrange and pay for the work to be carried out myself, and that the monies for the work carried out may not be reimbursed.

Why do I pay these cretins an insurance policy, when they want myself to do their work for them. I have e-mailed who I can just now and the ombudsman too

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

Aviva, Crawfords, Insure repair, Asprea, these companies are totally lacking in manners, professionalism, courtesy, understanding, my roof leak caused by storm damage was called in on the 22.1.10(morning) and it is now 24.1.10 (evening), all they have done is to pass me from one lackadaisical company to another more incompetent company.

How hard is it to arrange for someone to carry out repairs on a roof, all the responses I received were that I would have to arrange and pay for the work to be carried out myself, and that the monies for the work carried out may not be reimbursed.

Why do I pay these cretins an insurance policy, when they want myself to do their work for them. I have e-mailed who I can just now and the ombudsman too

I sincerely hope that everything is sorted for you now. Basically, claims involving water ingress are not as straightforward as they may seem. There are some who make no effort to maintain their roofs and then submit claims for water damage. The insurance company is only going to make payment on claims that are fortuitous, and they have every right to make certain that is the case before they promise to pay for repairs. Without having any idea what your situation is, I can tell you that some plastic sheeting and a few nails temporarily stops water damage. These are reasonable steps to take whilst your insurance cover is being investigated.

Thank you for your sincerity, and on how to use plastic sheets and a few nails, I don't mean to sound harsh, but you are correct in stating that you do not Know my circumstances, so I would therefore turn your attention to the post.

I know how this insurance company tend to operate and its other subsidiary companies, ( In this case I had been passed from one company to the next and back and forth)

Totally unprofessional, unpropitious mannerisms, I could go on but What would be the point.

To get back to the thread, I had a workman promised to me, he called me to say that I was out of his catchment area, and this was after an expert had arranged for him to fix my roof ( with multiple leaks)( I don't think that a plastic sheet and a hand full of nails would have helped the problem, It may have even voided the insurance or made things worse).

After a few more calls, A tradesman from a local firm turned up to ask me why he wasn't called out to this emergency job earlier.....I asked him how was I supposed to know.

Any how rant over for today!!

• 3 weeks later...

ival are conmen

i had my laptop and tv damaged, and the laptop was taken away by ival, the only damage to lap top was the letter P had come out and a yellow mark on screen, a few weeks passed and they started to ask for bank statements showing that we had withdrawn the exact amount of money to go buy this lap top, so i asked for the lap top back, and got told that they dont send them back as it was there property now, after complain to barclays they sent the laptop back to me, only after i had to cancel the claim, and then it arrived it was in pieces, i contacted them to complain and for them to collect it, all i wanted was the laptop returned in the condition that it left my possession in as i have since bought a new one anyway, it had arrived back to day, in worse condition than why it left, screen is all smashed and disk drive is broken, and wont charge now, i was told that if i wanted to make a complaint that i would have to take it up with the CEO of barclays, i have since discovered that ival, own a laptop spares business, and have the feeling that they strip old computers for parts then sell on, after lodging compaint with ival, they are refusing to speak to me and i have been told that i can make a complain to the financial complaints authority, so am going to do this, i am not that bothered about the laptop as i have a new one, just not getting taken for a ride by barclays and IVAL

I currently have a claim against iVal. This is for disposing of my laptop before claim was settled and the loss of all data from their disposal.

To date they have supplied no evidence to defend the claim. They did try to avert the court action by lying to the court about company ownership. This was quickly proved as a false claim by iVal showing all linked companies and addresses to the court.

I would write a letter to the Manager of Barclays insurance giving 14 days before you intend to take legal action. Write in with a full claim for the value of the computer and all data / software. Wait for their reply. After 13 days telephone to ask if they intend to reply to if not already replied to. Also state that if no reply is received by the 14th day you will take legal action regardless. They do have a responsibility to reply and address the matter as iVal are their contracted repairers not yours.

They will probably say it is iVal that is responsible. At which time just take out a court claim for the amount against iVal for what you have valued everything at. It seems the only way to get any real response is to go this route. And they are selling parts on Ebay trading as pc-laptop-spares. eBay My World - pc-laptop-spares

All of their feedback is private to stop you seeing the details.

Good luck.

Aparently iVal record all phone calls, so point this out to Barclays in your letter.

Edited by Chiro
Added extra info

• 1 month later...

Hi Big Rob,

I currently have a claim going through the Southampton County Court against IVAL as they took my laptop for repair and disposed of it before the claim was settled.

In accordance with the directives imposed by your insurer. The equipment is only retained for a maximum length of time before storage/disposal becomes an issue.

I had asked for it back to get my own independent engineer to check the problem as thay said it was beyond repair. They also offered me a replacement one, of poorer quality and low end spec. This I refused, having talked to a few pc repairers explaining the problem, they had all said it was getting too hot and was a simple fix.

Actually the terminolgy used would have been 'Beyond Econmical Repair'

"State of a repairable item where its estimated repair cost significantly exceeds a certain percentage (when taking into account parts/labour/potential for future related faults)."

You state iVal offered you a replacement of poorer quality and lower spec. what machine did you have and what was offered? Did you raise any of the specification issues directly with them? (if you had and it was a valid reason - i.e. you were not trying to push for technology now to be considered redundant by manufacturers - then iVal would have reconsidered thier offer based on your stated needs.)

Anyway I had a letter offering data retrieval for approx £70.00, whether successful or not. I declined this offer and again stated to return it, the claim was not closed and I would instruct my own engineer to inspect it. This company, iVal, had been arranged through Aviva, formerly Norwich Union, so I contacted them asking if they would get in touch with iVal and get it sent back as my requests were ignored.

Standard practice; 'Data Recovery' (not retrival) is offered to all policy holders making claims for damaged computers; The fee is payable upfront, however if it fails it is refunded (refund process is automatic).

Your requests for return of the hardware would not have been ignored; whilst there was an ongoing claim which you wish to persue; iVal retain possession of the equipment (as per your insurers guidelines) until one of several outcomes arise;

1) You withdraw,

2) Your claim is repudiated,

3) You accept a settlement.

In the case of options 1/2 the equipment is returned to you - if requested and if possible.

In the case of option 3, the old equipment is disposed off as per EU guidlines.

I then received a letter from Aviva stating that iVal had disposed of the machine. Great. All my documents were on there, letters, electronic invoices, pictures and videos, all of which were not backed up. What is really annoying is that they were offering a data retrieval service even after they were aware the laptop had disposed before the claim was settled. Aviva promptly issued a cheque for the full value of the laptop, Sony with extra bright screen etc, with a letter of apology and clearly stating iVal were responsible for any lost data as they could not destroy or dispose of the machine before the claim was settled. So I have taken this matter to the courts and I am claiming £1500.00 for lost pictures, videos, letters and programs. The true value of the programs purchased by download is over half this, and my lost holiday pics will never be replaced.

Factually incorrect and i would love to see a copy of 'this letter'. Your insurance company lay down the guidelines iVal have to follow.

Disposal of the equipment would only occur within the boundrys of these guidelines (unless an accident had occurred - which I'm not ruling out as i do not know you claims specifics).

You have accepted a form of settlement; and declined all offers of data retrival - as per 'option 3' above, the equipment would now be your insurance companies property and disposed of accordingly.

How can you claim for 'data' which you had no intention of retriving through the offered methods? You had already accepted you may lose the data when agreeing to a collection - and declining the option of data recovery (all part of the collection call script all handlers read word for word). iVal inform you on this call that they accept no responsibilty for any data lost/damaged or if you do not perform either your own backups prior to a collection, or decline iVal's data recovery service. This call would have been recorded (as all calls to and from iVal are) and will be retrivable will little effot on iVals part.

In future regardless of insurance company requirements I will send my pc to my local engineer explaining why I will not let them use their own. As far as I'm concerned, their strive for cost cutting leads to more costs than are really necessary.

You are free to do that in any circumstance; but be aware that your insurer is under no obligation to foot the bill for any actions you opt to take of your own accord.

iVal are owed by Powerplaydirect.com. They also trade under BeValued & Laptop-PC-Spares (on Ebay). Click the about ME icon on ebay for address, it's the same as the others. Apart from the Ebay username the rest can be found on Linkedin.com. Check headquarters address and each linked company to find it's all the same.

I will update as soon as the case has been heard. Hope this helps someone.

Factually incorrect again; Powerplay (powerplaydirect.com) / BeValued & Laptop-PC-Spares are all located on the same business park, two of the above companies even share the same industrial building.

The parent company of each of these may be the same, and I'm sure they would not dispute this. However each is a seperate company in its own right; seperate staff, payroll, management, processes, business models, clients etc etc.

I'm not responding to 'have a go'; as my profile freely admits I am an employee at iVal - i just wanted to state some clear facts; as evidently your post is extremely one sided and opts to leave certain particulars out.

To my knowledge iVal has no cases in any courts against it (previous or current) - but then maybe its not my place to know such things.

All the best.

Last edited by pubno1; 19th January 2010 at 21:37.

------------

You have accepted a form of settlement; and declined all offers of data retrival - as per 'option 3' above, the equipment would now be your insurance companies property and disposed of accordingly.

No offer was ever accepted. The claim was very much still ongoing.

Your requests for return of the hardware would not have been ignored; whilst there was an ongoing claim which you wish to persue; iVal retain possession of the equipment (as per your insurers guidelines) until one of several outcomes arise;

1) You withdraw,

2) Your claim is repudiated,

3) You accept a settlement.

In the case of options 1/2 the equipment is returned to you - if requested and if possible.

This was ruled as unfair practise. I still had the right to an independent inspection while the claim was 'ongoing'.

I'll reply in depth when i wake up - in the mean time, can i presume you printed my post.

Last edited by pubno1; 20th January 2010 at 06:04.

:D Yes your post was recorded and in fact it was rendered ready to post on here after the court case outcome. Just had to add this last bit.

This claim was ruled in my favour. And a cheque in settlement has been received now from iVal. I am now in the process of writing a blanket letter to all insurance companies I can find linked to using iVal for repairs. All iVal had to do was act in an honest manner then the claim should have been without problem. This letter will also get posted on the internet when sent.

After the post by daz1977

ival are conmen.

...after complain to barclays they sent the laptop back to me, only after i had to cancel the claim, and then it arrived it was in pieces, i contacted them to complain and for them to collect it, all i wanted was the laptop returned in the condition that it left my possession.. ..i have since discovered that ival, own a laptop spares business, and have the feeling that they strip old computers for parts then sell on....

I am wondering just how good their repair team are. Is this a one off?

I definitely will never allow the insurance company to decide where my property goes for repair now.

A point to clarify that no intention is made to blemish any good computer repairers that work in the insurance industry.

It is recognised that many do a very good job regardless of their duties or position.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. While searching Ebay I found that PowerplayDirect are now selling as Bevalued on Ebay. Member since: 31-Mar-09

Contact details are:

Colin Bassett

Powerplay Direct

Eastbourne

East Sussex

BN22 8LD

United Kingdom

Phone: 01323 418580

Email: jason@bevalued.com

There is even a geographic phone number now call, saves on 0870 or 0845 charges.