style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Could someone please advise? I left half a month's rent as a holding deposit back in August 2009 to a private landlord to move in on 1st October 2009. I had every intention of moving in to the house to the extent that I changed my driving licence address to the new address. However, due to unforeseen circumstances it is no longer a convenient area for me to live in - in fact it would be highly inconvenient. I have apologised profusely to the landlord but she expressed reluctance to give me back my deposit. I have even gone so far as to advertise on her behalf for a new tenant (and had responses) but she is now not responding to my calls or messages. I find this unreasonable behaviour. I do still need to move and will need my money back to do so. What can I do?

A holding deposit is just that, a holding deposit.

You paid this deposit to ensure that you could have this property and that during the period between saying you wanted it, and signing an agreement the LL took property off the market and did not let it to anyone else.

If you had taken up the tenancy, you would have received this money back. You did not take up the tenancy and therefore have forfeited this deposit. That is what it is for. It is insurance for you that the property is kept for you, and insurance for the LL that you will take up the tenancy. LL is perfectly within her rights to keep it

I am sorry that this will not be what you want to hear.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice