Exploitation of caravan & mobile home owners by park owners

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5356 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They have recently been granted a 12 month licence and have billed each owner with a £595 charge even though there is no mechanism in the current eight month contracts to do so.

Anyone who does not pay the charge, even if they do not want to have the 12 month season, has been threatened with van removal. They have even already taken the cash from those Owners who have money in their accounts due to being in their subletting scheme.

Information on unfair terms and conditions park owners impose can be found on the OFT website below:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/unfair_contract_terms/oft734.pdf

Sections 4.72 and 4.74 are could be deemed relevant to whats happening on Golden Sands.

Red Rebel.

Come on the mighty reds!!!!!!

Lloyds TSB - Success - 14/7/07

Lloyds TSB - Pending -

Halifax - Pending -

Tip my scales if I have been of assistance :D

So if there is nothing to compare or refer to then you can't call it illegal. All you can say is it's not as good as the last site owner.

Try and find someone who is also unhappy and get a contract off them.

So if there is nothing to compare or refer to then you can't call it illegal. All you can say is it's not as good as the last site owner.

It is illegal since it is not in the contracts which have been issued - past or present - by the Park. We just found ourselves in the tenous position of not actually having one, so in our case, we had no legal grounds to fight, however, those with written contracts can fight it legally and many are. However, some have "bottled it" and simply paid up due to the threat of disconnection of services.

Try and find someone who is also unhappy and get a contract off them.
I have and upon reflection, we decided to leave the site and have found a much better one.

It is illegal since it is not in the contracts which have been issued - past or present - by the Park. We just found ourselves in the tenous position of not actually having one, so in our case, we had no legal grounds to fight, however, those with written contracts can fight it legally and many are. However, some have "bottled it" and simply paid up due to the threat of disconnection of services.

I have and upon reflection, we decided to leave the site and have found a much better one.

But you're not on the site any longer so why is it bothering you so much?

If you genuinly believe it to be 'illegal', then issue a court summons.

But you're not on the site any longer so why is it bothering you so much?

It doesn't bother me now. I've been lucky, however, the caravan owners which are still there are being treated grossly unfairly.

If you genuinly believe it to be 'illegal', then issue a court summons.

It is illegal and I'm led to believe that proceedings have begun.

Just how widespread is this problem?

And how can we combat it?

Hi Just-ice,

Laws need to be introduced to combat the powers these park owners have, in order for this to happen caravan owners who have had the mis-fortune of being sited on a park run by rogues need to complain to the likes of Trading Standards, OFT and there local MP. If enough numbers did this then change might happen.

The forming of owners associations within parks is also another effective method of combating unscrupulous park owners.

Red Rebel

Lloyds TSB - Pending -

Halifax - Pending -

Hi Just-ice,

Laws need to be introduced to combat the powers these park owners have, in order for this to happen caravan owners who have had the mis-fortune of being sited on a park run by rogues need to complain to the likes of Trading Standards, OFT and there local MP. If enough numbers did this then change might happen.

The forming of owners associations within parks is also another effective method of combating unscrupulous park owners.

Red Rebel

You are in the best position to get this going Red, take the pent up anger in you and get it started.

You are in the best position to get this going Red, take the pent up anger in you and get it started.

Not sure about the pent up anger thing ;), but having been a caravan owner for a number of years and witnessing the underhand way most park owners make there money (especially regarding the buying and selling of caravans). I think its high time something was done in order to protect people from being blatantly ripped off.

Red Rebel

Lloyds TSB - Pending -

Halifax - Pending -

Examples of what this thread is about.

BBC NEWS | UK | Mobile home owners 'preyed upon'

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-news/Caravan-owners-told-to-pay.5576495.jp

Red Rebel

Edited by Red Rebel

Lloyds TSB - Pending -

Halifax - Pending -

Not sure about the pent up anger thing ;), but having been a caravan owner for a number of years and witnessing the underhand way most park owners make there money (especially regarding the buying and selling of caravans). I think its high time something was done in order to protect people from being blatantly ripped off.

Red Rebel

It's no good saying "time something was done", that's the same as moaning to your misses that the government should do something about this or that.

You be the one to get this 'something' started.

Do you want to give some examples?

Hi conniff,

When Robert Taylor damaged a bungalow and two cars with a digger, I like most others thought he was off his trolly. Since his release I have heard his side of it and I can see his side of things. But I cannot condone his actions. This case was in Essex.

Seven men were Convicted of Arson, Blackmail and /or conducting a campaign of terror on a site in Bromsgrove Worcestershire. The same site owner is involved with 10 or more sites even down as far as the Isle-of-White.

I have heard of reports from Heysham in Lancs. Rhyl in North Wales. Hunstanton in Norfolk.

As long as you are saying these things from first hand knowledge JI, we don't want any libel against you or especially CAG.

Most of these cases have been featured in the media. Red rebel mentioned the links to a couple of them earlier.

It is because of these cases that I asked the original question.

This organisation could be a useful resource for those who feel they have been exploited by park owners.

PHRAA, Park Home Residents Action Alliance

Red Rebel

Lloyds TSB - Pending -

Halifax - Pending -

Why are Golden Sands charging me twice for the same service?

My contract is from 1st October till 30th September. So when I pay my site fees in October and april this will cover the period of Oct 2009 to Sept 2010.

But I have already been charged £595 for this years extended season, So they ARE charging me The extra payment twice!!