Problems with Estate Agent Visits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I was wondering if someone could explain a few problems I am having with Estate Agent (the ones who manage the property) visits. I understand that they have to do this on behalf of the landlord and all I ask is to be present during such visits but they always seem to kick up a big fuss whenever I ask them to change dates. I don’t do this all the time but on two occasions (out of at least twelve) I have been unable to book the original dates off work though when I ask them to reschedule I get told the usual “we have the keys we can gain access any time” line. Is this reasonable?

On the two occasions that they have supposedly visited without me being there they never leave any indication that they have visited the property so I do not know what is going on. On occasions when I am there, I sometimes ask them to use slippers (we bought new ones just for this) when entering the house as there is a muddy path outside our property but they never do and we often have spots of dirt on the carpets afterwards.

On a side note, when the landlord visits he often brings with him a friend and two young kids who run all over the house. I am too old to chase them myself but have asked him many times to keep them in check though he never does.

Am I being unreasonable? Have I just been unlucky with the agents and landlord?

You don't sound at all unreasonable. 12 visits sounds a lot. Over how many years? What does it say in your contract about visits? I would have thought that one in 6 months would be about right.

As for bringing friends or kids round, this is absolutely unacceptable. On the other hand you risk falling out with the landlord which could cause you problems later

What your LL and the Estate Agent are doing is illegal.

The basic tenet of tenancy law in England and Wales is that the tenant should have "quiet enjoyment" of their home. What they are doing breaches this tenet. And the Estate Agent sounds as if they are bullying you.

If either the LL, or his representative (e.g. Estate Agent) wish to enter your property, they should give a minimum of 24 hours notice IN WRITING.

Whether they do this or not, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LET THEM IN unless there is a proveable emergency such as a gas leak. This is the law - LL has no entitlement to enter your home whilst you are a tenant (regardless of what is in the AST, or the agent tells you).

If the EA (or the LL) are letting themselves in without your express permission, you are entitled to change the locks. (You must keep the old one to put back when you leave).

You haven't said why the property is with Estate Agents. Is the property you are renting for sale? Are you leaving (have you been given notice to leave?). What tenancy do you have?

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Thanks for clearing that up both, I should have written before that we are renting the property through the Estate Agents on a six month contract and they usually come around to inspect it every 3 months even though we never have any problems in regard to damage or disrepair. I understand they are doing their job but it does get a tad annoying, especially when they want to inspect when we are away on holiday. Am I right to believe that this is too often or can the Landlord change how often the checks are made?

I admit that they do use bully tactics sometimes, if I send them e-mail in regard to a fault (the last was when the wooden front door had swollen too much for me to close) they often ignore it, waiting until I visit them in person to acknowledge it before telling me they had received it a few weeks ago! I really dread speaking with them as they are always short tempered with an inexperienced person like me. It is such an effort to get things done.

You are obviously far too nice. Stop being so nice. Be more businesslike and remember that you have rights and don't let them walk all over you.

If you don't mind them coming round, then ok, but if you do mind tell them that you have "taken advice" and that you are no longer prepared to have them interfering with your "quiet enjoyment" of your home.

Any future visits will be made after the legally required notice in writing, and at times which suit you, NOT them and they do NOT have your permission to enter the property in your absence and if they do not adhere to this you will change the locks.

I suggest you also write to your LL and request (you can ask nicely!!) that he comply with the legal requirements should he wish to visit, and that you would appreciate it if he would not bring friends with him, as you do not feel comfortable having them in your home.

Such visits are harrassment, and as such, LL lays himself open to serious charges which could result in a heavy fine.

Next time there is a problem and LA ignores you, chase them up (after 24 hours). It is their job and the LL will be paying them through the nose for it (trust me, I am a LL....:)).

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

If the Agents are being uncooperative, complain to the LL. and also confirm the things you want doing. Defo dont stand for them entering the place when you are not there and tell them so. What if something goes missing they are leaving them open to all sorts, how can they guarantee or vouch for the person doing the inspection. I would change the locks asap. The inspection must be done at your convenience not theirs.