The Radio That Never Was

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

We recently bought an 06 Nissan Micra (MOT good for a year) from a used car dealer but have been having problems with the radio. I’ll post a timeline of events to explain things:

Sunday 9 August - travelled to the used car dealer and saw one that we liked. Was told that it was in very good condition and the dealer would carry out a service on it just to make sure. We paid our deposit and told them we would be back later in the week (so they had time to sort out the paper work) to pick it up. Not sure if radio was working at this point.

Friday 14 August - went to collect car, paid the full cost (minus the deposit) in cash and the dealer said it had passed the service with no problems. However, just as we were pulling away from the dealer, he said they did not have the four digit code for the radio! As it was quite late and we had a long drive home (not to mention having to catch the post office for tax) the dealer said his ‘radio man’ would soon contact us with the code the following Monday.

Wednesday 19 August - still no contact from dealer so I called them up and was told that the radio man would drive down to us to sort it out. Dealer would call us back the next day to talk about a suitable date for the job.

Monday 24 August - no contact from dealer so I called them again, their radio man does not have any transport so we would have to make the two hour drive up to them. As Friday is the only time I can finish work early I asked if he can do the job then and was told it was fine.

Wednesday 26 August - called to confirm the job, it is a long way from home so did not want to waste time but was told the radio man would be finishing early on the Friday as he was to go away for the Bank Holiday weekend. Complained to dealer that he was always making up excuses and was told that ‘these things happen’ but if we wanted to speed the process up we should drive around to the radio man’s HOUSE sometime after the Bank Holiday but he could not guarantee the radio would be repaired. Apparently it is no longer just a code but the dashboard needs to be taken out just to get the radio serial number BEFORE the code.

That brings us up to date, I have been to the Nissan dealer who wanted to charge us £180 for the job (at least the used car dealer will do it for free) but the idea of going to some new person’s house sounds very unprofessional to me. Especially as, due to radio man’s sparse working hours, I will have to book time off work and make a two hour drive for a job that may never be completed.

Perhaps I am over reacting since I have little knowledge about cars and even less about complaining so could someone give me a few hints and tips as to what I should be saying the next time I speak to this dealer or in writing? I feel he is using my lack of experience against me and I did not mention that one of the headlights is also not working. I am reluctant to take time off work just to deal with this but I am getting tired of being lead around all the time.

Is this really normal practice?

Seems To Me You Are Being Given The Run Around

Have You Checked The Radio Guide In The Book Of Words

Its Common Practice To Put The 4 Didgit Code On The Front Or Back Page

Tell Me You Got A Manual

Service Book

Radio Guide Etc

I should have added that before (silly me) but yes I have checked the manual with no joy. I have a feeling this isn't the original radio due to the unit being slightly loose as if it was put there in a hurry. There also looks to be a very very small screwdriver mark where they have tried to pull the radio out but this is just my (inexperienced) opinion here.

The next time you contact the seller, tell him that he has one last chance to issue with the code or fit a new Nissan radio or you will get the local Nissan dealer to do it and bill him.

Mention that if he should fail to pay the bill then you will issue a court summons.

Don't take any more nonsense from him. He is obviously hoping your will just go away.

And one other thing - you don't pass a service, a service is carried out.

Personnaly I'd have it decoded locally. Shouldn't cost more than £15 or even upgrade it to a better one. Whilst you are right in what you say, reality is that you are not going to get the money back and have to decide whether it's worth the mileage. Wouldn't even bother suing. Lesson to be learned perhaps???

Personnaly I'd have it decoded locally. Shouldn't cost more than £15 or even upgrade it to a better one. Whilst you are right in what you say, reality is that you are not going to get the money back and have to decide whether it's worth the mileage. Wouldn't even bother suing. Lesson to be learned perhaps???

must agree here

not worth the aggro

goto your local car parts dealer or look for a local car audio shop or even ask around

it is VERY easy to resolve on an 06 nissan

as said costs around £15

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I agree that it sounds like the dealer is just waiting for me to go away and probably using my lack of car knowledge against me. As much as I am angered by the situation I would much rather get the job done at a proper garage than have to take time off work and make a long drive to some stranger’s house only to have them mess things up further.

Thanks again for the advice, I am glad this isn’t normal practice!

Well surprise, surprise! The car battery is as dead as a dodo!

Just had to call the AA out so I could drive home from work, they also pointed out that one of the headlights doesn’t work so I will be calling the dealer again tomorrow.

Surely he has to at least replace the battery?