Wifey cancelled direct debit, company reinstated it.

Archway
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5406 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can they do this???

She cancelled it as she is currently out of work, told them she was doing it, they were not exactly ok with it, but agreed apparently.

Next thing she knows, they tried to take the money out, cue bank charges etc...

Archway

Can they do this???

She cancelled it as she is currently out of work, told them she was doing it, they were not exactly ok with it, but agreed apparently.

Next thing she knows, they tried to take the money out, cue bank charges etc...

What company, details ?

Did you cancel it with the bank or the company? If its the bank it shouldn't have been re-instated unless the account holder asked to do so.

If it was just cancelled with the company somebody may have messed up or it may have been too close for the payment date for them to stop it.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Did you cancel it with the bank or the company? If its the bank it shouldn't have been re-instated unless the account holder asked to do so.

If it was just cancelled with the company somebody may have messed up or it may have been too close for the payment date for them to stop it.

Sorry for the delay in responding people...

She cancelled it via the internet banking system, and it was around three weeks before the payment was due to come out.

She definetely did not reinstate it. This has caused her to incur bank charges yet again, and also fall behind in her car payments.

Archway

Does it show as cancelled online? I only ask because some online banking systems are difficult to fathom. I thought I'd cancelled a direct debit twice only to realized I cancelled cancelling it if that makes any sense...

I'd speak to the bank as if the DD was cancelled the company have no right to set it up again.

Thing is there is this glaring hole in the so called DD guaranttee. I've recently fallen foul of it and would welcome any input on this point. You can claim the DD back but as it wasn't paid or took you over your limit that's only half the problem.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.