• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Endeavour, Ocean Finance, Alabaster & Moore Stephens - No PPI win here!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5356 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, this may take awhile to explain but here goes!

I decided to try to claim back my PPI, as documented HERE (to save a lot of time in repeating everything I have already written about it so far!).

I sent a preliminary letter to Endeavour who wrote back confirming that I had indeed used a broker called Ocean Finance. So I sent a preliminary letter to Ocean Finance, basically asking for the PPI back.

To be fair, at this stage OF were really quick at responding. I had a reply within 4 days of sending my preliminary letter, asking for proof of address as I had moved since taking out the PPI. I sent proof and received another letter, this time within 3 days. A rough guide to this response is as follows:

"Further to your letter dated 24th June 2009, we note your complaint concerning the purchase of PPI in or around December 2004. Given the period of this transaction, Ocean Finance and Mortgages Ltd (OFML) could not have played any role in the purchase of PPI cover. OFML was not incorporated until September 2003 and did not actively operate as a business entity until 14th January 2005. We will, however, pass on your correspondence to the appropriate parties."

Well, I was gobsmaked to say the least! Anyway, within a week, I then received a letter from a company called "Moore Stephens Chartered Accountants". Again, I will copy the main points from this letter:

Dear Mr Techtalkonline

ALABASTER (C.I.) LIMITED

We confirm that prior to 14 January 2005 Alabaster (C.I.) Limited ("Alabaster"), a company incorporated in Jersey, was permitted, to use the name "Ocean Finance" in advertisements for the purpose of soliciting applications from the public for the granting of personal loans. Alabaster ceased trading on 31 December 2004, agter which date all of the assets of Alabaster were distributed. As Alabaster no longer held any assets and had ceased trading Moore Stephens was instructed by Alabaster to summarily wind up the company in accordance with the provisions set out in the Companies (Jersey) Law, 1991 (as amended). This process is now complete and the company has formally benn dissolved.

Alabaster C.I. Limited did not have any professional indemnity insurance, this was not required in order to carry out the activities of the company."

What a kick in the teeth! So a company was allowed to use the name Ocean Finance, but the real Ocean Finance is not liable? This is crazy.

I took a loan out with Endeavour through Ocean Finance, who turn out not to be Ocean Finance at all!

I guess it means my claim is not going anywhere now. Is there anyone who can shed some light on this issue please?

Lloyds: Started

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

Stayed- Awaiting further developments with new test cases!

Mint C/Card: Started

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

Stayed - Awaiting further developments with new test cases!

ENDEAVOUR PPI: Started

SAR Sent & Received

Gone pear shaped! See HERE

Sounds like a bit of a weird one.

Surely your paying the PPI payments to the loan company, not the broker, so surely the loan company are still liable for returning those payments. If the loan company paid the broker a commission on the PPI, then it's them that's out of pocket ... maybe wait for someone with more experience in this field, but it does sound like a "fobb off" letter to me.

01/08/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - S.A.R sent

24/08/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - Statements Received

31/08/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - 1st Request sent

13/09/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - LBA sent

23/09/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - Offer received £1544 (Thanks but no thanks)

02/10/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - *WON* Full settlement

Sounds like a bit of a weird one.

Surely your paying the PPI payments to the loan company, not the broker, so surely the loan company are still liable for returning those payments. If the loan company paid the broker a commission on the PPI, then it's them that's out of pocket ... maybe wait for someone with more experience in this field, but it does sound like a "fobb off" letter to me.

Hi sleepz,

Yeah, I thought the same thing too, it does sound like a "fob off" response. However, I believe that Endeavour, who I was paying for the loan, will dispute any attempt to claim back the PPI as they were not the company that sold the actual PPI, they just provided the loan part I guess.

Anyway, hopefully someone with the know how will let me know soon about what my rights are on this issue?

Kind regards,

Techtalkonline.

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

I don't have time to read the main thread at the moment, but I assume you sent off a S.A.R ... if so, was there any mention of any commission to Ocean being paid for the PPI sale?

Quite interested in this thread, as I got my First Plus loan via Ocean Finance that im trying to claim back PPI on.

I don't have time to read the main thread at the moment, but I assume you sent off a S.A.R ... if so, was there any mention of any commission to Ocean being paid for the PPI sale?

I am hoping to get a spare 5 minutes (New Baby!) over the weekend to look into that. From memory, I don't recall seeing anything like that, but I will check up on it.

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

If you do not have a copy of the Consumer Credit Agreement you should use a Subject Access Request to get it and all of the other data applicable to your loan. Once you have the CCA you need to check to see if the agreement shows the figures for the Loan and PPI on the same agreement if they are then you should make your claim for mis-selling the PPI to whoever raised the CCA as they are the ones who would have signed the document.

Letter templates here..... Full SAR for ppi

and here....

Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Request

You should specifically ask for the following:::

You can be specific with what data you request although the Subject Access Request is really asking for everything. The Statutory fee is £10.00 Postal Order is fine but keep the details of the number for future reference. Send all correspondence by at least recorded to be signed for so you can track delievery through Royal Mail.

The things you should get from a Subject Access Request are:

True copies of your Consumer Credit Agreements (CCA) with the terms and conditions that were applicable to the agreement at the time the loan started.

Copies of all your statements.

Copies of all correspondence with regard to the loan, letter, fax, transcripts of phone calls or transcripts of phone calls, or other notes taken by them during the calls.

Also be specific in your request for full disclosure on any PPI added to the loans this should be identifiable on the CCA.

Specifically request the demands and needs/Customer duty of care questionnaire which should have been completed at the point of sale. This questionnaire should be filled out by the bank advisor to ensure all the relevant questions have been asked to ensure the product is fit for purpose and suitable to your needs. See this as an example.....

When you send your Subject Access Request you should ask for evidence of the questions asked at the point of sale.

Please see this link for an example:.....http://wwwa.mbna.co.uk/insurance/files/CP0608_INSU_MB_LP_S.pdf

The data requested should be data in any format that their organisation uses for filing, electronic, paper, microfiche, CD, Floppy, Magnetic tape.

Please have a read through the following links for further information.

PPI - Some Notes for Claimants..

For claims before 2005 and the FSA ruling from which campaign

How to tell if you’ve been mis-sold PPI

Quick check: were you mis-sold? - How to tell if you’ve been mis-sold PPI

Another useful site to help you reclaim missold PPI UPDATED 16 JUN 08

Reclaim your PPI premiums - payment protection insurance | This is Money

This is a little snippet from the above link....

Quote:

Can I reclaim on any PPI policy?

Your claim for compensation is dependent on when you took the insurance. PPI sales only came under the jurisdiction of the FSA on 14 January 2005. Any sales made before then are not covered by the latest rules.

However, it may still be worth complaining to your lender if you feel you have been mis-sold. If you bought before January 2005 it is likely that they will have been covered by a previous regime of rules. This means that the Financial Ombudsman Service will be able to consider these complaints. If you took PPI after January 2005, your claim is subject to the latest rules.

All of the above and more in this sticky at the top of the forum.

links

It's a lot of reading but some useful stuff in there

Hope this helps

Homework first

Then claim your money back

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Ok, I have finally managed to get my Canon All-In-One working again, after running out of ink!

I have attached a copy of the Credit Agreement that I recieved when I sent a SAR to Ocean Finance, from whom I recieved all of my statements. I have edited it to remove all personal details, so the copy isn't perfect.

There was also a second page that had all of the T&C's on it, if you need to see it. So the question is, where do I go from here?

P.S. I used OpenOffice to do the editing, so you may have trouble opening or seeing the document as it should look.

Ocean Credit Agreement Document 2.rtf

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

Let me see if I can get this right in my head :)

Who is it you pay your direct debits for the PPI to, is it Endeavour, or Ocean?

To be honest I've never heard of Endeavour, but I assume OF were just the broker who got you the loan with Endeavour?

It's a bit strange (to me) that the original contract was with Ocean Finance (as opposed to OF just forwarding your application onto someone else), but it wasn't OF that gave you the money (assuming Endeavour are the people taking your repayments).

Because / if the Credit Agreement is with OF (ALABASTER (C.I.) LIMITED)... and they've now been disolved / gone bust, surely that means that you no longer have a contract with OF (ALABASTER (C.I.) LIMITED) since they are no longer trading?

Or, if the contract is now being held by the new Ocean Finance, then that would make me assume that they are also taking on the responsibility of the debt, and therefor the responsibility of the terms of the debt, making them fair game I reckon.

Hi sleepz,

Ok, the loan was taken out through a broker, Ocean Finance. I had no idea about the PPI as I didn't ask for it, nor were there any details given to me about the PPI policy when we asked for the loan. I only discovered in the last 2 weeks that the PPI was arranged by Alabaster, using the Ocean Finance name, but who are no longer in business.

Ocean Finance did explain that they were brokers and that the loan would be provided by Endeavour Personal Finance. It was to Endeavour that my monthly payments were made to and they who provided my monthly statements.

I sent my SAR to Endeavour who did send the Credit Agreement and all statements etc. At this time, I had forgotten that we went through a broker to get the loan as Endeavour had always been the ones I had received statements from, I just assumed that I had got the loan from them. Therefore, I then sent my request for the PPI to be refunded to Endeavour. They replied that I had indeed used a broker, OF, so I should ask them for the PPI refund.

I sent the request to OF asking for the PPI refund, but they then wrote back telling me that the PPI was actually provided by Alabaster, but that they would pass on my letter to "the relevant organisation". Little did I know that that meant the solicitors who had wound up this company!

I then received the letter from Moore Stephens Chartered Accountants to inform me of Alabasters ceasing trading etc.

Now, the question is, were Alabaster really Ocean Finance all along? What I mean is, the PPI was provided ny Ocean Finance according to my Credit Agreement as far as I can see. But Ocean Finance claim that Alabaster, who were USING the Ocean Finance name, provided the PPI and that Alabaster "conveniently" were no longer operating!

So did Alabaster close up shop, then reopen as Ocean Finance, but in effect is still the same company?

Is there anything I can do to get the PPI back and from whom?

I hope that this clears up any confusion, or maybe it just adds more confusion?

Kind regards,

TTO

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

It would seem they are different companies, solely based on their registered address

From Company's house.

Alabaster CI ltd

PO BOX 776 First Island House

Peter Street

St Hellier

Jersey

Channel Islands

JE4 8ZF

Telephone: 01534-600444

Ocean Finance

Trading as Ocean Mortgages

Atlantic House Centurion Park

Wilnecote

Tamworth

Ocean Finance

Trading as Ocean Mortgages

Atlantic House Centurion Park

Wilnecote

Tamworth

Ocean Finance & Mortgages Ltd.

Pacific House

Relay Point

Tamworth

Im looking for help on this (in my thread), but I've added to orignal claim letter (First+ Loan sold through Central Capital broker)

I understand that my policy was sold through “Central Capital”, and I assure you that I am forwarding a copy of this letter to Central Capital. However, my agreement was signed on a First Plus contract, and my premiums are paid to First Plus, therefor making First Plus responsible for making a refund.

If you would like me to pursue this case with Central Capital directly then I would ask that you supply me with the amount of commission that was paid to Central Capital ( not previously included in my Subject Access Request).

If looks alright, and I don't know if it does or not, you could maybe write back to Endeavour and say :

I understand that my policy was sold through “Ocean Finance / ALABASTER (C.I.) LIMITED ”, However, my agreement was signed on an Endeavour contract, and my premiums are paid to Endeavour therefor making Endeavour responsible for making a refund.

If you would like me to pursue this case directly with the Financial Ombudsman then I would ask that you supply me with the amount of commission that was paid to “Ocean Finance / ALABASTER (C.I.) LIMITED ( not previously included in my Subject Access Request).

?

These people never want you to know the commission they pay, so they may just back down and offer you the 78% thing. If they do that then your a step closer.

Another thing just occured to me, which kinda echoes what alanalana said, but I never really picked up on it before. The CCA shows Endeavour as the lender, so legally it would be them that signed off on the contract. If Alabaster were the broker, then they were paid a commission by Endeavour thereby making them an agent for Endeavour, surely?

Surely that's just like saying "Oh yeah, it was Jim that sold you the PPI,but he no longer works for us".

Try something like :

"Dear Endeavour muppets

Thank you for your response dated ##/##/##

I understand that my policy was sold through “Ocean Finance / ALABASTER (C.I.) LIMITED ”, However, my agreement and Consumer Credit Agreement was signed on an Endeavour contract, and my premiums are paid to Endeavour.

It is my understanding that at the time I took out the agreement with Alabaster (C.I.), they were working as agents for Endeavour and were thereby paid a commission for the service they offered.

If you would like me to pursue this case directly with the Financial Ombudsman then I would ask that you supply me with information regarding the amount of commission that was paid to “Ocean Finance / ALABASTER (C.I.) LIMITED , and the terms under which this commission was paid.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

"

Edited by sleepz
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

We've had that damn Swine Flu run through the family, starting with our 9 month old daughter, so I haven't been able to progress any further with this issue. Anyway, I am back to full strength (cough, cough) and raring to go again.

Cheers for the info sleepz, that sounds like a good plan, so I will get a letter of to Endeavour just soon as my new printer arrives! The old Canon has finally given up the ghost so I have gone with an Epson SX300 All-in-One jobby.

If I get a response I will let you know.

Cheers buddy.

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

Hi again!

We've had that damn Swine Flu run through the family, starting with our 9 month old daughter, so I haven't been able to progress any further with this issue. Anyway, I am back to full strength (cough, cough) and raring to go again.

Cheers for the info sleepz, that sounds like a good plan, so I will get a letter of to Endeavour just soon as my new printer arrives! The old Canon has finally given up the ghost so I have gone with an Epson SX300 All-in-One jobby.

If I get a response I will let you know.

Cheers buddy.

probably abit late to say this but watch out for the tamiflu..if you google it...

put tamiflu and pcp see what google returns...tamiflu is a dangerous drug

Hi folks,

Just back from short holiday (well a visit to the parents!).

The tamiflu we got for our daughter was the liquid one. It was called Oseltamivir and tasted disgusting. When I went to the hospital in Spalding to collect it, I could see it had a label on it already, but before it was given to me, the administrator stuck one of their labels over it. All that was on this label was the dosage amount and the name of the patient i.e. my daughter. I tasted this medicine, as you do, before giving it to my daughter. This was how we discovered it was really disgusting. I said to my partner that this can't be right, she'd never take this medicine and nor would I for that matter!

This was when I got curious and very carefully removed the top label. Underneath was the original label that said to mix the dose of medicine with a strong sugary solution! Well, this was very worrying. The bottle didn't come in any box, so there wasn't an information sheet detailing what the medicine contained or any side effects to look out for etc, and more worryingly what to do if there were any side effects.

Our daughter was on this medicine for 5 days. After which she became very clingy (that had never been the case ever), one minute happy and the next crying for no apparent reason, and then became an insomniac. She just couldn't stay asleep, continually waking up every hour or so. This continued for about 3 days.

After that, I decided to do a Google search on this medicine and to my horror found that this was bad stuff. In Japan, so many kids died from taking it. Just looking at the Wiki page on Oseltamivir, it throws up some shocking information on serious side effects. Why the hell did I not look as soon as I got this sh*t? Read it if you dare, but if you have been given this medicine for your child, read it you must!

So I am just hijacking my own thread really to warn others about giving this medicine to your kids. Our 9 month old daughter may have had these side effects through the swine flu itself, or it could just be a major coincidence. I can't say for sure it was the medicine, but it is what I believe to be the case. I can say that since stopping the medicine, she improved dramatically within 2 days.

Pass this link on to as many people as you can, the government are poisoning our minds quite literally!

Back to topic soon, I need to get a letter off to Endeavour ASAP!

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

SAR Sent & Received

• 1 month later...

I wrote to Ocean Finance re. claiming back PPI but I sent the letter to Ocean Finance and Morgages Ltd. after sending an SAR a few weeks ago. The SAR showed (although most of it was blanked out) that I borrowed £20k from them in Jan 2002 and paid £4k on top for PPI.

Today I have received a reply saying that they could not possibly have sold me the PPI as they were not incorporated until September 2003 and didnt actually trade until Jan 2005.

So, have "Ocean Finance Ltd." who sold me the PPI in 2002 gone bust and reinvented themselves as "Ocean Finance and Mortgages Ltd." who now claim to not be liable or responsible for anything the previous company did?

Has anyone else come up against this? Should I now go straight to the Ombudsman?

Thanks,

Mick

I have had a butchers on Companies House and there is a company called Ocean Finance Ltd who are Dissolved - but there is another company also called Ocean Finance who you can click into and it says their next Accounts are due 04/05/2011 and they are at the same address as "OFML" as in their letter above.

Any advice? Are they still trading as Ocean Finance Ltd?

Nope, they are still trading as Ocean Finance Ltd. at the exact same address as Ocean Finance and Mortgages Ltd.

They have sent me a fob off letter purely on the technicality that I addressed it to Ocean Finance and Mortgages Ltd. and the loan was with Ocean Finance Ltd.

Petty or what? I reckon they are running scared and if thats all they can come up with, its a good sign. The way I see it is that if they had a genuine reason to not pay back my PPI they would have written with the legal reasons and not just that I put the wrong company name on the envelope. Tossers!!

Makes me even more determined to get my small fortune back.

ok check out the FSA website hot off the press the financial industry has been given another bloody nose use it to your advantage

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Hi there

Sorry to butt in on your thread, but just to let you know that I am in the same position as you, but am going to keep fighting on this one.

We taken out a loan in July 2004, broker - Click Finance and lender Endeavour, broker unfortunatey dissolved in 2006.

However, received lots of paperwork back from Endeavour and underwriters paperwork show a number of companies, Click1, Click Finance and so on, as Click Finance are still running but a a different company number and will not take any liability at all, because even though its the same director, he says there is nothing he can do.

Anyway, if you have your agreement, on mine it does not say a great deal on the terms and conds that we have with that, and to ask for the paperwork, "the policy of the PPI", they send you this on request, that I find interesting.

For when we taken the loan out, for the Customers complaints dept, on the insurance it states that you must contact Hamilton Insurance, if they do not resolve by 8 weeks, then write to their own chief executive, then from there if still not resolved, you can go to the FOS.

Unfortunately though as informed Click finance/Endeavour were not governed in 2004, so cannot take to the FOS.

In the paperwork a copy of the PPI policy, and for Customer care, requests or complaints it states

Complaints concerning this policy should be sent to

Customer Services Department

Hamilton Insurance

PO Box 4718

Birmingham

B1 3RF.

If your not satisfied with the handling or your complaint have not been resolved within 8 weeks please write to "our chief executive at Hamilton Insurance, North St, Winkfield, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 4TD".

After writing to the Chief Executive, and remain dissatisfied or your complaint have not been resolved within 8 weeks, you can approach the Financial Ombudsman Service..............

This is signed then from the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer

"in respect of the Unemployment Insurance and in respect of Disability insurance where the initial term is less than 5 years where you pay disability premium.

Signed on behalf of Hamilton Life Assurance Company Limited

In respect of Life Insurance and in respect of Disability Insurance where the initial term is 5 years.

Hamilton company number: 1656838

It then states that they are authorised and regulated by the FSA, incorporated with limited liability and members of the Association of British insurers and the FOS.

Endeavour personal finance and the insurers are connected as they are both members of the same group of companies.

Not sure if this occurs to you and when you taken this out, but if you do not have this 3 or 4 page ppi policy paperwork write to request for this, if you need the address details let me know.

Good luck.:)