Bank charging me £35 for their mistake

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a letter today from Yorkshire Bank telling me that they could not pay out a direct debit for £3.99 and have therefore charged me £35.

Having checked my account a few days ago, and again this morning, I know there is enough money in the account. Plus, I am on benefits, and didn't think the bank could charge me in this way.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I am now overdrawn at the bank because of this charge by £20 - £20 I can ill afford to pay.

Your help is welcomed. Thank you.

I have had a letter today from Yorkshire Bank telling me that they could not pay out a direct debit for £3.99 and have therefore charged me £35.

Having checked my account a few days ago, and again this morning, I know there is enough money in the account. Plus, I am on benefits, and didn't think the bank could charge me in this way.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I am now overdrawn at the bank because of this charge by £20 - £20 I can ill afford to pay.

Your help is welcomed. Thank you.

I think you need to find out if it is a mistake and that funds were available for the DD to be paid. However, if it is the first charge on the account, they might refund it as a gesture of goodwill.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

• 3 months later...
I think you need to find out if it is a mistake and that funds were available for the DD to be paid. However, if it is the first charge on the account, they might refund it as a gesture of goodwill.

Update: Yorkshire Bank claimed there was no mistake and that the rules on whether they can take money from benefits payments is "greatly misunderstood".

They then said that my complaint was being processed, and that someone would be in touch to discuss me paying back the charges which had made my account overdrawn!

I am still waiting for them to deal with my complaint against them, and today had a letter claiming that they hadn`t head from me and held me responsible for being overdrawn.

I am very angry with them and want to know what I can do, and if I can claim back the charges they have made to my account over the years (and how I do this)?

Thank you.