Dead Laptop Battery (Fujitsu Siemens / Laptop Direct)

isidore
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all

Just after some information as to where I stand with this.

Bought a Fujitsu/Siemens (F/S) laptop around 16 months ago from Laptops Direct. The battery has been noticeably deteriorating since the day I got it and in all fairness I should have done something about it sooner but that's a different story....

The battery has recently taken a dramatic turn for the worse and now I cannot use the laptop unless it is plugged in. If I was to remove the power adapter, the laptop switches itself off after about 20 seconds. In normal circumstances, my laptop is set up to hibernate when the battery reaches a critical state (i.e. not much power left) in order to ensure no data loss - it now simply switches itself off instantly as there is not even enough power to initiate the hibernation!!

I have contacted F/S directly with regards to this and they have replied:

We would expect the batteries to life span to reduce over time due to use. The more they get discharged and then recharged the more likely they will fail sooner. Should you want to get a replacement battery we would suggest making contact with our main spares and accessories outlet called Service Source Europe. Their number is 01925 251608 and they are open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Did that - battery is £90 incl VAT & delivery, so I went back to F/S to say:

I appreciate that a battery would over time deteriorate, but this has become completely unusable in less than 18 months! The laptop is used on the mains more than it is on the battery. If the battery lasted 1000 charges or something similar that would mean I would have had to have charged it TWICE every day since I bought it for it to have died by now!

Are you suggesting that this is the normal lifespan of your batteries? I have contacted the outlet who have quoted me £86.83 to send me a new one, this is a ridiculous amount to be spending every 18 months to keep a laptop!

To which F/S have replied:

There is no strict life span for a battery. They can potentially last for a number of years but as previously stated the duration of charge will get less over time as the cells in the battery deteriorate.

Given the computer is outside of its warranty period we can only offer an avenue to purchase a replacement.

So before I reply I just wanted to know where I stand. The battery running out after 20 seconds is definitely NOT fit for purpose, but does a laptop battery qualify? Also, is there any central reference on this site with the rules? Not easy with looking through other peoples threads, no idea what SOGA is so not easy for me to understand where I stand and provide a decent argument!

Thanks

Edited by T4FF

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

I think that you should buy a battery, look around for the best price

Andy

Most of the batteries I have had in laptops generally go within 12 to 18 months and I believe this is fairly commonplace amonst friends and family.

As F/S said it does also depend on usage.

Edited by WelshMam2009
grammar

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More