My Very Own SLC Penalty Notice Thread....

human.error
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

As taken from here:http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/students/184229-jayney71-student-loans-company-2.html#post2211645

With a little more details, back in 2000 I was caught as I made the mistake of calling the SLC and telling them I had moved. They in their infinite wisdom decided to 'investigate' whether I had moved or not, they did this by sending a 'to the Present Owner\Occupier - of OLD Address letter. Of course I received it, I was having my mail redirected to my new address of course. I phoned them up said 'I got your letter, yes it's me... as I told you previously, I've moved'. Then a lesson in 'do you know intercepting someone's mail is an offence.... blah blah blah etc... Yes, but that only applies when that person has a name, not 'Owner\Occupier' of which I am there followed an explanation of having my mail delivered to my new address etc... I won't bore you.

Fast forward a couple of months, I get a 'you didn't inform us you've moved' letter. I of course thought it was a joke, I called, the lady confirmed it was a joke and that the 'computer thought we had lost touch and automatically printed\sent it - just ignore it!'... after ignoring it, they took money from my bank account and so the problems began.

I get lots of charges for letters finding me, then I have problems with deferments, in my own case I NEVER get my deferment letters until the END OF DECEMBER! The last week before xmas to be precise, so I have to metaphorically 'run' around calling people trying to get them to fill in the details and then return them to the SLC. The SLC return from Xmas and promptly raid my bank account, then set about activating my deferment. They then refund the money they've taken, then I receive a 'you've got some of our money, give it back!' Threats follow, usually with me being the lose, they then inform me they're sending in the debt collectors, they then add their charges and a couple of weeks later it goes into deferment. I get told to 'just ignore the charges' and everything will be ok, but of course the charges stick and in the end they just get added to my overall amount of loan.

They did this one year to me, they raided my bank account and left me destitute. So much so that I had NO money, all my direct debits were due and I got several lectures from my banks 'loan' service about 'money management' as I had to get an emergency loan to cover me for everything leaving my account.

Then there was the time that I was undergoing treatment at home, a nurse was seeing to me. I got a call told them I would call them back later, they rang straight back, I told them I was with my nurse and would call them later, the phone rang straight back. Short conversation: we don't believe you. At that point my nurse stabbed the burst vein in my foot and I screamed!! Obviously it 'xxxxxx hurt'! Only to be met with what sounded like an office full of people laughing, seems I was on speaker phone. I put the phone down, they called straight back - I had to tell them that once was forgiveable, twice was acceptable - but THREE OR MORE TIMES IS HARASSMENT AND A CRIMINAL OFFENCE - STOP CALLING OR I'LL CALL THE POLICE. Needless to say, it stopped for sometime before starting up again, I think it was a whole 24 hours or so.

As you can probably see, I've had a few experiences with the SLC - I'm registered 'disabled' after having to give up my Uni course due to this condition, I've been on benefits ever since and they've hassled me every way possible. Even during the time I agreed to make payments, they continued their harassment.

Trouble is, it's going to happen again this year I've got a 'Do Not Ignore This Letter' from 'Smith Lawyson & Company' over this years illicit charge, they took money from me, then gave it back on BOTH loans but the one that SLC holds they've charged me for the return of the money they took!

So I'm sick of it, I wasn't them off my back. My loans are dated 96 & 97 if it makes any difference. Both were with the SLC untill one of them got moved to 'Thesis', they also took the money this year and once again they gave it back after Xmas.

So my questions:

1)Incidentally, would there be any benefit to submitting a request for the Original loan documents, or is this already taken care of in the 'Subject to Action' portion of the claim, will they return to me a copy of the original loan document\s?

2) Thesis as I said now have one of my loans. Do I persue Thesis AND SLC, or purely SLC as they held my loans during the period when they took all the money.

3) Assuming purely SLC in answer to Q2, do the provide an easy to read\use Index of correspondence, ie: One Package for EACH loan, or just a bundle of documents relating to BOTH.

4) So it's a (a) Subject to Action Request, (b) Then what?

Thank you all for your time.

If you want purely the agreement (if they still have it) then you send a CCA request and a £1 fee.

If you want everything they hold on you then it is a Subject Access Request along with the maximum chargable fee of £10.

Good evening Conniff, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Do you happen to know whether if I submit a 'SAR' will it be divided by loan account numbers, or will it all be dumped in the same file so to speak?

I only ask as I've got two loan numbers you see, so don't know whether it would be better to submit one at a time or whether it's better (assuming they can organise the paperwork correctly - which I seriously doubt) to get both together.

My loans are for years 96\97.

Also, do you know if it's possible to purchase say a 'Postal Order' online? I've gone through the royalmail website several times and I've still no clue. Just it's going to be difficult sending them payment as I'm literally housebound.

Thank you for your previous reply and any subsequent.

As far as I know, you can only get a postal order from a post office.

How much do they claim you owe them, I assume that are just after alleged arrears?

Truth be told I don't know, they've taken off me so far around 1200ukp though the first lot of that was the 600ukp due to them 'losing touch' with me, my refusing to pay the arrears and additional charges owing to me actually telling them I had moved, if it hadn't been for my honesty they wouldn't have known, then there's the repeated problems with ME (they blame me, rather than their refusal to MOVE my deferment date either back or forwards) and my inability to submit their forums on time (they fail to mention that xmas keeps getting in the way due to their refusal to move the deferment due date).

If I get this SAR then I will know for sure won't I? I'm looking forward to that at least, will they also provide me with a copy of my original loan document at the sametime, so they will prove that I owe them this money as part of the SAR?

If possible, I want my money back... speaking of which, can I claim for the charges that the bank charged me for their arranging the 'emergency loan', amongst everything else?

Speaking of which, I then had to pay those charges back at a rate of 10ukp per month over some years... truth be told they got me so confused and I had health problems to focus on, lots of hospital time that I just ended up paying them the 10ukps, though they got interrupted by the deferments at the end of every year which lead to more charges.... so am I correct in thinking I could get this money back too? Afterall, if the charges are illegal and shouldn't have been there then by my reckoning I was put in a position to my detriment by their poor management. I should have been contributing towards my loan payments, but instead I ended up paying back their ridiculous charges they imposed on me.

Am I right in thinking that I am in possession of a 'demand from Smith Lawson & Company, I realise it's a part of SLC as their email address is smith_lawson@slc.co.uk, so at least they're not hiding anymore unlike when they were Scott & Co - pretending they were a 'debt agency'. Anyway, I can send them a copy of the letter back with 'in dispute!' written on it? Or would I be better paying it, then getting the SAR? As the whole issue is about to happen all over again... I can just feel it.

Edited by human.error

• 2 months later...

Hello,

As it transpired, I never did get my SAR request sent. I did however get both of the sums of money from the SLC that they had mistakenly taken from me back into my account. The problem however is a week after getting the money back into the account, the SLC phones me up and demmands the money back. What's more, I'm now receiving lots of calls from the Thesis who of course have one of my loans, and now an 'old friend' has come back 'Scott & Co' has been resurrected, I've been told to 'phone back urgently, it is important', if they're calling, it will hardly be for my benefit, or is it?

Anyone have any ideas as to why they're calling?