How do I sort out this mess?

mintymanda
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband had a barcleycard before we got together so over six years ago now. He had a £2500 limit on it. One month the statement has things on it that he hadn't bought so he reported this to barcleycard and waiting but he got nothing back from them so never paid and never spent on the card again. We got together and we have moved a number of times then last year a debt company called Cabot got in contact saying that he owed over £6000 now with there interest they are chasing for just over £7200. What do we do, where do we stand on sorting this out? Please any advice welcome.

Hi,

Do you know when the last payment was made on this account? If you don't know and you don't have all your statements you could do with sending Barclays a SAR.

As for Cabot, I would send them the prove it letter first of all. It is letter 18 here:

The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

Send all letters by recorded delivery and don't sign the one to Cabot. If you SAR Barclays, sign it in your usual signature but put a couple of lines through it.

You may need to give barclays your old address and your new address so that they can complete the security checks that you are who you say you are.

Don't speak to Cabot on the phone. They will bully you.

The prove it letter is a slowing down tactic so that you can get your SAR back.

If you need more info, just shout.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you for your advice. I will do what you have suggested and let you know how I get on.

Will they still have statements for this account though as it is over six years old? I don't think a payment has been made on it in over six years? I have certainly not made payment on it.

If you are certain that no payment has been made nor any offer of payment nor any acknowledgement of this debt then it is statute barred.

This is a SB letter.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I agree with SFox here.

If you think the debt is staute barred, send that letter and let them come back with any proof which they have of the debt being "acknowledged" more recently.

Did you send a letter about the fraudulent card use and do you have a copy of that. Just leaving the a/c unpaid like that has left you in a dodgy position.

Let's just hope the debt IS now statute barred.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)