Casual worker, wages being reduced...again

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5496 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am a long term Casual Worker (9 years). My parent Company bought over Company A and from January 2006 we started trading as Company A.

I remember signing a Variation Agreement at the time.

My problem now is that my wages are continuously dropping.

Firstly, my shifts vary and can last anything from 4hrs to 14hrs (usually 14hrs). Our guaranteed minimum shift pay was for 8 hours, this reduced to 7 & 1/2hrs, then to 6hrs they now want to reduce it to 5 hrs.

My job involves travelling all over the country, travelling time we do not get paid for. I could travel 5hrs, work 5hrs but used to be guaranteed 8hrs, now it's 6hrs and they want it to go to 5hrs.

If I have to stay overnight I would get a nightly allowance, this is now reduced by £3.

I no longer receive my Christmas Bonus £50.

If we are required to work in Europe we used to get a full days pay for travelling (based on 8hrs) , now it is only £20.

My main concern now is that the daily subsistense I receive £9 gross is being cut out completely. This is a reduction of £45 per week. I cannot afford this reduction and wonder what, if anything I can do based on the fact I am a Casual worker.

The only line I remember from my Variations Agreeement was that ' I would not suffer' by staying with Company A

Hope this all makes sense, any questions or help would be appreciated.

As far as I know Casual workers have same rights as Full Time Workers,someone will correct me if I am wrong!!!!

Had same problem myself a few years ago. Worked for a stocktaking firm and every year your wages came down as the firm moved the goalposts.

Subsistance came down, then your guaranteed hours or shift, travelling time was none existant.Worked in Ireland once and they did not class that as being in Europe:mad: so did not get travel allowance for that. The final straw was, when they reduced mileage allowance,and got no extra for carrying passengers. It used to be that if you finished, say an eight hour shift in six hours you would get paid for the eight. but not anymore. In the end I left the job. Not the same firm or job is it ?? If same job, firms name began with an O.:wink:

Yeah, they are all the same. Theres one out there that only pays mileage after first 70 miles. I know you can claim it back of taxman , but thats only once a year, a long time to wait.

Anyway good luck:)

Thanks mustang.

Another thing, my Company keeps employing new workers even though there's not enough work to go round the regular staff.

I feel as if they're trying to push us long timers out and replace us with new staff on reduced wages.

:-(

Yeah, I know when O was taken over by another firm ,they wanted us all to sign new contracts, altering shift rate etc.I left them for a couple of years (found proper job!!) But went back to them, when my new job went the way of many others. The change was amazing , most of the old guard had gone to be replaced by foreign students and the like. Just could not work with them, most could only speak broken English. Plus wages had come down again so left after a few months.

Think many firms are now just trying to pay minimum wage full stop, plus they want you to finish job quicker ,so they then pay you even less.:-x

My Company have confirmed the subsistence rate will be removed. I will loose out on at least £45 per week gross.

Some of the contracted workers are talking about Constructive Dismissal but with me only being casual (9 years though) I don't know where I would stand.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that,as far as I know so called casual workers now have the same rights as full time workers. Sounds like they are not worth working for anyway. You could ask at Citizens Advice or job centre for further details on job. Good Luck