Welcome Finance -- Help!!

tanswell2001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In October 2008 I took a loan out with Welcome Finance for £2500. Every loan has been paid up on time via direct debit up until March. The reason being I had a domestic issue at home which I needed to pay for and the loan payment bounced. I informed them of this and asked them to hold it until the end of March, and that I had cancelled the direct debit to avoid any charges.

It is now April and I have fallen behind with the payments. I have advised them I am having few issues debt at the moment. I am constantly being harassed, having messages left on my answerphone 4-5 times a day. I then advised that I was getting paid on the 28th and gave them new card details so that they can take payment for the arrears.

Today I was coming home from work and two door 'collectors' were waiting in their car. They approached me, said they where from Welcome Finance and that they needed full payment of the arrears TODAY. I explained I had given one of their 'legal team' (who had phoned me on a mobile) my new card details and to take the arrears on Tuesday. They then tried to take the payment on Tuesday and it was declined as there was an issue with Think Banking transferring my salary into my account. However they never rang me to let me know. So now I have had two people on my doorstep, which has cost me £25, basically insinuating that if I do not pay the arrears of £400 TODAY they will be going to visit my employer to get an attachment of earnings. My partner has been off work sick for a couple of months, I have been paying the bills and it has all come to a head. I explained I could only make a payment of £100 today, which they took from my card there and then, however they would not listening to me and were insisting I BORROW the money from somewhere to pay the rest. I was made to call a friend who I could not get hold of, and they said I will get a phone call at 8PM from one of their departments to see if I had obtained the rest. I was unable to and then they rang, the lady on the other line was saying if I dont pay it today they will take legal action, and if I was to pay tomorrow I would also have to pay next months payment at the same time! So that would be 2.5 months to pay in one go. She was saying I have to pay it, I said there is no physical way I can get that money.

I also had PPI, but I cancelled that in December thinking that my repayment will go down. However they said that the monthly repayment remains the same? So I am paying for PPI when I dont have it?

I dont know what to do, I have been quite shook up by this episode. I have not been able to make the payments intentionally, I have paid them £100 pounds today as that was all I could afford and payments have been up to date in the past.

Is it legal for them to harass me on my doorstep? Is it legal for them to visit my employer?

I am worried sick about what will happen to me, money is tight as it is at the moment as I am the sole earner in the house at the moment and I cannot afford to have them getting my employer involved.

Please help!!!

i would say it certainly isnt legal for them to visit your employer thats bang out of order plus harrasing you on your doorstep is out of order aswell, unless you have given permission for them to call at your home they shouldnt be.

i have had similar problems they used to ring my husband at work until he got his manager to tell them he could not accept personal calls at work unless it was an emergency and told them to stop calling and they did

Hi Tanswell first of all please don't be intimidated by these morons that come from the branch. We have had similar problems especially the alleged 'legal team' phoning from a mobile.

They should not come to your house without a prior appointment and you can send them the doorstep harrasment letter.

You should also be aware that they have no legal power to arrest wages as this can only be done through the courts.

We contacted customer relations (Customer Relations Centre, Welcome Finance, Bishops House, Abbeyfield Road, Lenton, Nottingham NG7 2SZ - 0845 6187847) with regards to harrassment to lodge a complaint against the branch. They investigated and upheld our complaint we have had no further contact from the branch.

Once they know you will not be intimidated they usually move on to someone else.

make sure you log the date and time of any calls they make and refuse to speak to them on the phone or at your door.

There are some really brilliant people on this site and I am sure if you stick with it you will be able to sort this :)

thanks people..where can i find this harassment letter? I will send one off tomorrow, any tips for what to say to them tomorrow when they phone? I havent been able to raise the funds..

Rent comes first Im afraid..

You can try this:

Welcome

Please note that I am only prepared to communicate with you in writing. Should it be your intention to arrange a "doorstep call", please remember that there is only an implied license under English Common Law for certain people to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Please therefore take note that, I revoke license under English Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so without my permission, you will then be liable to damages for a tort of trespass. You would also be conspiring in a trespass if you sent someone to visit me nevertheless

Thanks millymo...do you know by law if they recieve this letter they have to abide by it?

What really ****ed me off was that I was willing to make a part payment - other creditors have been fine in the past in situations like this.

Its not as if I havent knocked them for any payments and am making an effort to try and clear the arrears...

I am not too sure if legally they have to abide by it I am sure someone with more experience will be able to advise you better but I do know there are laws against harrassment and you can complain to FSA if they don't. I definitely think you should complain about the branch harrassment though as you have explained your situation to them

Thanks millymo...do you know by law if they recieve this letter they have to abide by it?

What really ****ed me off was that I was willing to make a part payment - other creditors have been fine in the past in situations like this.

Its not as if I havent knocked them for any payments and am making an effort to try and clear the arrears...

WF tend to be like this at the end of the month due to their targets etc. Just show them that you are in control!

theyve just been round again insisting i pay full arrears today. explained i dont have the funds again...he got quite nasty so i told him to **** off my property or i will call the police and that i wont be bullied..

theyve just been round again insisting i pay full arrears today. explained i dont have the funds again...he got quite nasty so i told him to **** off my property or i will call the police and that i wont be bullied..

well done - I am sure you feel heaps better having stood up to them:) now you should definitely complain about harrassment and send the doorstep harrassment letter asap - Have a nice weekend

Well done! I assume he left, no questions asked?

Get a letter into them asap advising that they are harrassing you. The letter's in the template section.

sent them the doorstep and telephone harassment letters by registered post and also gave them copies when they turned up again yesterday. they hassled my partner into giving them some money, she is nothing to do with the loan but they told her how much i owe, how fair behind etc and i wasnt even there.

is there any way i can get the agreement voided due to the fact they have breached the data protection act?