Advice: Stranger Using my Address for Vehicle Registration

Maria99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Someone who rented the house I own (3 years ago) from the previous owner has been using my address to register his vehicle with the DVLA.

It's only come to my notice because his post redirection has expired. Every time he has been issued with a reminder to renew his car tax he has used his old address.

I wrote to the DVLA some weeks ago to notify them of all the details and to provide them wih his correct address and the fact he seems to have deliverately witheld information from them, but the rep on the end of the phone has told me that only the registered driver can update his records so nothing else can be done.

Since I wrote to them (and from several subsequent phone calls chasing up the situation) I found out that he has recently renewed his tax disk and gave my address (as he has done for the last 3 yrs) - so ratjer than being an oversight, it's evident he is deliberately giving my address out.

The guy is slightly dodgy as I during the time I've lived at my house I have received several invoices from various different companies asking for payment and he must have been using my address after moving house for these too.

I am assuming that not only his tax disk and log book but his driving license show my address. And if his driving license shows my address he can continue to use it as ID to open accounts and build up debt etc which can cause me further problems. If he is involved in a traffic offence I'm sure the repercussions will end up with me also.

How do I escalate things now? I know it's an offence to deliberately withold you address from the DVLA but they can't be bothered to do anything. All they would need to do is look at the elective roll for the area to establish the truth but they don't care and are letting him get away with it.

If I report it to the police would they do anything about it (like do some checks into his real address and issue a fine, or if the traffic cops see him driving his car would they pull him over? Or is it something they don't get involved in?

It's so frustrating.:x

Why would he use your address when renewing the tax disc. If it was at a post office then no address is required, if it was on line, then the disc would have come to you so he will be driving without displaying.

As for the other things, perhaps you should notify them of his present address.

Don't the regulations state that the address provided must be one that he can be contacted through? Whilst you may dislike what he is doing, there appears to be no criminality - as he probably has his Driving Licence showing the address too, with the V5C matching it.

Since there is no requirement for the person to provide details of 'where they reside' as long as the documentation reaches them, and use of the redirection service ensured this, they would be able to avoid any claims of wrongdoing.

Don't the regulations state that the address provided must be one that he can be contacted through? Whilst you may dislike what he is doing, there appears to be no criminality - as he probably has his Driving Licence showing the address too, with the V5C matching it.

Since there is no requirement for the person to provide details of 'where they reside' as long as the documentation reaches them, and use of the redirection service ensured this, they would be able to avoid any claims of wrongdoing.

As the post redirection has expired then he is not contactable.

And you know the redirection has expired, how? It could just as easily be RM incompetence that a casual worker delivered the item stead of redirecting. As far as I'm aware, only the service requestor is advised when the diversion ends (assuming he chooses not to renew).

But better still - if the address was valid when the forme were completed, then there is no fraud. If the address subsequently becomes invalid then I agree it is up to the RK to provide a current address, but I doubt many will treat is as a high priority - at least in the short term.

It's only come to my notice because his post redirection has expired. Every time he has been issued with a reminder to renew his car tax he has used his old address.

I would presume, from the above, that this person's mail had been re-directed to his new address. Now it is being delivered to the OP's address and that is how the OP knows that the re-direction must have expired.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Already answered in Message #7

RM have track record of 'forgetting' bout paid-for Redirections when casual staff take over the route on a temporary basis. Therefore, a conclusion that the redirection has expired is somewhat premature, unless there is evidence to the contrary.... like a Notice of Renewal.

And you think that RM would tell an unconnected party the status of a paid-for redirection? That really would be a surprise! Never make assumptions....

I'm not making assumptions, I'm seeing what the OP originally told us about the redirection having ended. Obviously that's not good enough for you and you feel the need to be obtuse.:rolleyes:

I'm not making assumptions, I'm seeing what the OP originally told us about the redirection having ended. Obviously, that's not good enough for you and you feel the need to be obtuse.

Ah - the insults again? If you cannot see how the OP is in no position to know for certain whether 'redirection has ended' unless RM had actually advised them of this, not only is my response valid, it corrects a possible misconception - and one that you readily accept without clarification or comment. Considering the issue is Germain to the actual complaint - I'm delighted your points of view have not matured in any way.

Someone who rented the house I own (3 years ago) from the previous owner has been using my address to register his vehicle with the DVLA.

I wrote to the DVLA some weeks ago to notify them of all the details and to provide them wih his correct address and the fact he seems to have deliverately witheld information from them, but the rep on the end of the phone has told me that only the registered driver can update his records so nothing else can be done.

Since I wrote to them (and from several subsequent phone calls chasing up the situation) I found out that he has recently renewed his tax disk and gave my address (as he has done for the last 3 yrs) - so ratjer than being an oversight, it's evident he is deliberately giving my address out.

The guy is slightly dodgy as I during the time I've lived at my house I have received several invoices from various different companies asking for payment and he must have been using my address after moving house for these too.

I am assuming that not only his tax disk and log book but his driving license show my address. And if his driving license shows my address he can continue to use it as ID to open accounts and build up debt etc which can cause me further problems. If he is involved in a traffic offence I'm sure the repercussions will end up with me also.

How do I escalate things now? I know it's an offence to deliberately withold you address from the DVLA but they can't be bothered to do anything. All they would need to do is look at the elective roll for the area to establish the truth but they don't care and are letting him get away with it.

If I report it to the police would they do anything about it (like do some checks into his real address and issue a fine, or if the traffic cops see him driving his car would they pull him over? Or is it something they don't get involved in?

It's so frustrating.:x

Ah - the insults again? If you cannot see how the OP is in no position to know for certain whether 'redirection has ended' unless RM had actually advised them of this, not only is my response valid, it corrects a possible misconception - and one that you readily accept without clarification or comment. Considering the issue is Germain to the actual complaint - I'm delighted your points of view have not matured in any way.

Taken from the Royal Mail Website

Flexibility

Redirect your mail from any UK address to any address in the UK or overseas for one, three, six or 12 months. When your Redirection is about to expire, you can easily renew it online, over the phone, or by post. We can redirect your mail for a maximum of two years.

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

Not quite sure why you feel the need to cut and paste so much, the last paragraph would have been sufficient.

Having now returned from my local Sorting Office, I'm reliably informed that providing the requestor pays for the redirection, it will continue irrespective of any limitation that is shown on the RM website. It was casually mentioned that there is no mechanism to track when a redirect has reached its limit of 'renewals' and if done on a regular asis, the service will not knowingly be discontinued.

Ah - the insults again?

No, I just stated that you were being obtuse. If you think I am being insulting then why not report my post.

If you cannot see how the OP is in no position to know for certain whether 'redirection has ended' unless RM had actually advised them of this, not only is my response valid, it corrects a possible misconception - and one that you readily accept without clarification or comment. Considering the issue is Germain to the actual complaint

I think the OP is in a much better position than you to know that the redirection has ended, but you won't accept that.

- I'm delighted your points of view have not matured in any way.

You usual comeback when someone points out the errors in your posts and your erroneous advice.:rolleyes: It's unfortunate that you are unable to respond to alternative views to your own on CAG in a mature and friendly manner, and you feel it necessary to make derogatory comments.

Edited by Rob S