Cpuncil Tax - Payment over 12 months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5536 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is there is a reason why we can't pay Council Tax over 12 months. I have just received my Council Tax bill and low and behold it is spread over 10 months. Rang the Council who advised that me paying last years over 12 months was only an incentive so this year it is back to 10 months. Told them I can't afford it over 10 months and wish to pay it again over 12. She said "nothing we can do - it is the law!!!"

Anyone else been in the same boat. She said if I don't pay the first month which is due at the end of this month, they will take me to court for which I have to pay £40 costs and then they will reconsider!!

Doesn't make any sense.

HH

what council?

talking crap,you have to miss 2 months before they can even attempt court action.

then you could prove that you had attempted to resolve the issue without getting into arrears,dont think they would have a leg to stand on.

we struggled and asked to pay over 12,we were told no.

I put it in writting 3 years ago.and stated that we will pay 12 monthly payments,for 12 months services.the responded by saying we were obliged to pay of 10mths.so we wrote again saying accept 12 payments,as we will not cover the 10 mths DD amount,and if you take us to court for this we will produce this correspondance in our defense,

did take a few further threats of going to the press:)but they agreed to it in the end.

try it,hope it helps.

SAM:pLOWELL DETESTER

nottingham city council offered the chance to pay weekly, fortnightly, over 12 months or 10 months. You had to decide by a certain date though and return the form. Trouble is though if you chose weekly and missed 2 weeks payments, would this then mean that they could then take you to court maybe only 2 weeks into the whole councl tax year. Hope that makes sense.

thanks everyone.

I will do what I did the year before last, miss the first month, ring them up and say i can only afford to pay over 12 months so they will reset the payments.

Ours has gone up by £25 per month if you paid over 10 months. Obviously our council doesn't think there is a recession.

HH

what council?

talking crap,you have to miss 2 months before they can even attempt court action.

then you could prove that you had attempted to resolve the issue without getting into arrears,dont think they would have a leg to stand on.

we struggled and asked to pay over 12,we were told no.

I put it in writting 3 years ago.and stated that we will pay 12 monthly payments,for 12 months services.the responded by saying we were obliged to pay of 10mths.so we wrote again saying accept 12 payments,as we will not cover the 10 mths DD amount,and if you take us to court for this we will produce this correspondance in our defense,

did take a few further threats of going to the press:)but they agreed to it in the end.

try it,hope it helps.

SAM:pLOWELL DETESTER

Your statement is incorrect .

A Council Tax reminder is issued after after a missed instalment and gives 7 days to pay the missing payment or pay the full outstanding balance within a further 7 days after that. If this is not complied with then Court Summons can be issued. (no need to be 2 payments behind).

The council don't have to accept any installment outside of the statutory 10 payments from April to Jan for a new years council tax bill.

The council allowed you to change the installment plan but you would have had no defence to a Liability Order as the council had billed in line with regulations and you failed to comply - the magistrate would have had no choice but award the order (they couldn't consider the reason behind not complying in your case just your action of not complying which breached council tax legislation ).

• 2 weeks later...
Your statement is incorrect .

A Council Tax reminder is issued after after a missed instalment and gives 7 days to pay the missing payment or pay the full outstanding balance within a further 7 days after that. If this is not complied with then Court Summons can be issued. (no need to be 2 payments behind).

The council don't have to accept any installment outside of the statutory 10 payments from April to Jan for a new years council tax bill.

The council allowed you to change the installment plan but you would have had no defence to a Liability Order as the council had billed in line with regulations and you failed to comply - the magistrate would have had no choice but award the order (they couldn't consider the reason behind not complying in your case just your action of not complying which breached council tax legislation ).

Sorry you are wrong there, i had a read of the council tax regs which council have to abide to the other year and found out you can legaly pay your CT bill in 52 weekly payments, you have to ring and tell them that is what you want to do, in my case they told me i couldnt do it that way, i told them to go read the rules, my bill no comes with it split into 52 weeks approx £20. they dont like to do it as its more hassle, but you are entitled to do it that way, but you may need a good reason for example on low wage or my case self employed. dont take no for an answer they dont know all the rules.

Sorry you are wrong there, i had a read of the council tax regs which council have to abide to the other year and found out you can legally pay your CT bill in 52 weekly payment

Which regs are you reading ?, certainly not the LGFA 1992 or the Council Tax (admin and enforcements regs ) 1992.

Schedule 1 of the council tax (admin and enforcement) 1992 regs sets out the installment plans available in law, in makes it quite clear that under Part 1 the standard 10 payments are due whereas under Part 2 a payment scheme can be agreed by the council and made available at their discretion.

My council bill over 10 months I rang them 2 years ago and said I'm paying over 12 they said no you're not I said take me to court then I'll divided the annual payment into 12 and I'll pay a 12th on the 1st of every month - they said no - i did it anyway this year bill arrives pay over 12 months - my dad who lives 2 streets down is still over 10.

Think they've just wised up :)

Which regs are you reading ?, certainly not the LGFA 1992 or the Council Tax (admin and enforcements regs ) 1992.

Schedule 1 of the council tax (admin and enforcement) 1992 regs sets out the installment plans available in law, in makes it quite clear that under Part 1 the standard 10 payments are due whereas under Part 2 a payment scheme can be agreed by the council and made available at their discretion.

Hi it was in there some were as i pointed it out to the council, i wouldnt have known about it unless i read it, i did save it but it was a while ago now, every bill we get now is over 52 weeks automaticly, if i find it i will post it up here.

ataxidriver

I'll await your post with curiosity but I've studied Council Tax legislation on a professional qualification basis and never once has it come to or been brought to my attention regarding any variation to schedule 1 which would force the council in to allowing the instalments you wanted, voluntarily yes but compulsorily no.