style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi people

I've received 2 or 3 letters at my address from Marston bailiffs for payment of £400 for a certain person. That person doesn't even live at my address and has never lived at this address. I have no idea who it is, the only thing that links this person with me is that they have the same surname as me. This person is not related to me in any way shape or form.

How do I get Marston to know this seeing that they don't even have a contact telephone number and personally I dont want to give much of my details to a bailiffs for security reasons.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

I would write to them (recorded) saying that you are not the person they are looking for, you are not related to , nor do you know the person they are looking for and you would appreciate it if they stopped harassing you for a debt that is not yours.

Return the letters to sender unopened with 'not known at this address' written on the envelope. If it's not your debt for goodness sake don't phone them in the hope of getting it cleared up. I made this mistake with one DCA before I found this forum and although I could absoloutely prove it was nothing to do with me I had hell for months from 3 DCAs. They don't care who owes the money, just that they get someone to pay.

It's also unlawful to open other people's mail. :)

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

but if a letter came to Mr Smith at your address - and you lived there and your name was Mr Smith - it would be a reasonable assumption that it was for you - evein if the initial was incorrect.

You would only find your mistake once you opened the letter and read the detail.

Unfortunately I did open the letters as i thought initially they got the first name wrong. I checked their website and it states I should fax them a utility bill to prove its not me, should I do this?

no

You are under no obligation to prove anything to anyone.

THEY have the obligation to prove that YOU owe them.

All faxing them a bill would do is prove you live there and that the utility have your name as what you say it is.

It would also show that you are prepared to play by their rules - which may make them think they can bully you into paying something.

I would write to them (recorded)

Tell them that you are the new owner/tenant at the address and that you are not, have no link to , nor do you know of the person they are seeking.

I would explain that you share the surname but that is merely coincidence (an electoral roll search on the house may give them the impression that the person they seek is still there)

If you send them anything or give them any information they are capable of attaching your details to the debt even though it is nothing to do with you. This is what happened to me. I was stupid enough to believe that the company would want the matter sorted out properly. In my case I even knew what the debt was as it was for my ex neighbour's electricity. They had the right name to start with but swapped mine in once they had my details.