Court Summons, but I have already paid the fine and admitted offence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was caught speeding on 16th October 2008 by a police officer with a laser gun, I was doing 44 mph in a 30 limit. I was given a fixed penalty notice (endorsable offence) at the scene and decided to admit to the offence and take 3 points and pay the fine to finish the matter.

After surrendering my licence and paying the fine related to the fixed penalty notice, I received my driving licence back and thought the matter was dealt with. I then received a letter on 25th February 2009 from the central ticket office stating that the fixed penalty notice had been cancelled and prosecution before court was now being considered, this letter referred to a letter I had supposedly been sent on 27th November (which I never received) stating I was required to re-send my driving licence to have the penalty points added.

I have today received a court summons, however am unsure why as to why as I have already pleaded guilty to the offence and paid the £60 fine. The conditions on the Fixed Penalty Notice state "You have been required to produce your driving licence within 7 days. If when you do so, it meets the necessary requirements AND you are prepared to surrender it, the Police will take no further action against you in respect of this offence provided you pay within 28 days the sum of £60 to the address shown in part 2 below".

If I followed what the fixed penalty notice required me to do (surrender licence and pay fine) for which I have the signed fixed penalty notice acknowledging receipt from a police officer, can the police continue to pursue this case which I believed was dealt with, because they failed to add the penalty points to my licence when I surrendered it.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you pay the fine? Was it by cheque or credit/debit card? have you checked to see if the payment you made actually cleared your bank account? Did your licence come back with an endorsement added in respect of the offence?

Seems odd.

I would go up the route of proceedural impropriety by the central ticketing office. If you sent your licence and paid the fine then as far as your concerned IMV the matter is closed. You must be able to provide supporting evidence that you paid the fine and met the conditions of the fixed penalty. Have you contacted the dvla and asked if the points have been added their end?? I belive the police correspond with them to add these.

They have already admitted proceedural errors by asking you to re send your licence so you can discredit them for this.