Abbey current account Default !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5550 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.. hope somene can advise please..

I will start at the beginning.. ( the end is the default !)

We had an Abbey current account that we stopped using in May 08.. and at the time I thought I had cancelled all the direct debits in April 08.

However that had not been actioned.. and the charges piled up !

We made payments to reduce the O/d but fought a loosing battle with the charges...

Although I was out of work due to redundancy.. we stilll tried to reduce the o/d which was 90% charges.. by agreeing a regular payment of £100 a month..

In Dec my husband was made redundant.. and we were late with the dec payment.. although we had made double payments in Nov.. In Jan 09 we were also late with the payment.. but when I rang to make the payment.. and rearrange a lower payment.. was told that my account would probably be defaulted.. and this happenned in feb 09.

During all the negotiations I had told the bank these were all charges more than once.. that we were paying back and I was told on each occasion that there was no point in putting in a claim just yet.. as the case was on hold.

I have now put in a claim after reading this site.. on hardship grounds... The default is for £600 and the claim for charges just under £1000.

I am writing a letter to Experian re the default notice and will be writing to Abbey as well... as I was misled about disputing the charges.. as that would have put the account in dispute..and then they would not have been able to default the account.. is that a correct assumption?

What grates is that despite the unfair charges... I was paying them back in good faith that once the case was sorted the money would be refunded.. but now they have sold the debt !

:???:

UPDATE :

Just been going through the letters, and found one dated Jan 15 09.. which gave me 14 days to contact the bank if I could not pay the sum of £715 in full. I contacted them on Jan 20 09 to negotiate new payments, paid them £100 as was the agreed monthly sum.. and was told I could not negotiate as the debt had already been sold to Morcroft.

Can someone please tell me that if as I intend to.. I dispute the default.. as outlined in the threads.. do I / should I continue to pay morcroft who are insisting I make a minimum payment of £50 to them a month. ?

I would really appreciate some advice on this.. and Many Thanks in advance for your help :???:

Edited by Sunny101